5.5" Depth Snare Drums - A Newfound Appreciation

Nice

Last edited:
Interesting observations RVC. Interesting set up too. No rack tom in two of your photos, and both cymbals to your right. Strange to me but perfect for you! I was just wondering-why no rack tom? It's not like you save any real setup/floor space by not using it. Any particular reason you go without?

Reactions: RVC
Interesting observations RVC. Interesting set up too. No rack tom in two of your photos, and both cymbals to your right. Strange to me but perfect for you! I was just wondering-why no rack tom? It's not like you save any real setup/floor space by not using it. Any particular reason you go without?
Thanks for your observations and questions, @vyacheslav!

I use the cymbals (either one or two, depending on space or my mood) on the right side only as my little ode to late 60’s-early 70’s Charlie. After doing a deep dive into that Stones era, I became fascinated with Charlie’s setup, which I found odd and interesting as well.

As I incorporated that cymbal configuration into my own setup, I grew to appreciate the decision-making process it inspired in my playing. I’ve got to really want that exclamation point of a crash cymbal with this rig, which fits the music I’m playing (old country and old soul + similar sounding originals). Most of the time, though, I’m only using hats and one cymbal, and can get all the sounds I need out of just those two.

With regards to no rack tom, I frequently find myself in this type of logistical scenario (a pic is worth a thousand words here):

IMG_3639.jpeg

Since I run my rack toms in snare stands, space actually can be an issue for me in situations like the one in the pic above. I’ve found myself at many a venue not being able to set up my rack tom because my duo partner needed that space for his floor wedge and/or his pedal board. I got used to playing a kick-snare-floor tom configuration to the point I actually prefer it and use it most of the time now, even when I have the space to run a rack tom.

Hope that explanation clarified my thought process adequately enough. I do love the self-imposed limitations of a 3-piece kit with hats + 1 cymbal only. There are a lot of things I’m not able to do with that rig, but it works out really well in the music I’m doing.

Cheers and thanks again for your interest!

Ryan

Last edited:
Back