300 BPM? Really guys?

I don't play particularly fast - maybe 270 after a lot of warming up - but speed is sometimes an issue. I played with a jazz band and all they wanted to do was play fast. And I would say over and over: first, play it slow. When we get through it 10 times slow we can try fast.

But no, eventually I just got the boot :p

It doesn't matter if it's feet or hands. It's all the same. If it's forced you can be in time playing music, but you won't get far.

About a year ago I was pushing myself with singles and doubles on my practice pad at work. I was playing singles for about 1 minute at 280 bpm because I could play them clean at that speed for that amount of time. It was forced for me. I thought they felt good.... Nope

Right now I could probably go way beyond that speed and it would be nothing forced. And that is only because I learned technique(not mastered). Not sitting there building muscle. Learning proper technique at slow speeds build the right muscle give you the abilities (not muscling!). If your playing on a snare at blazing speeds with/without technique, I can hear the difference.

Its also easier to play fast with metal because it's one speed, one feeling, and one sided(linear). I could teach a guitar player to play metal drums. But!!! I cannot teach a guitar player to play music! Joking aside...

Anywho, there's a lot of flaws in the OP post. Not trying to nit pick. Just pointing that out. Everyone is learning all the time. If you say your not then you just cut off your playing level. When he said technique is not the be all end all for speed, that's when I know he hasn't learned it properly. It is the way to speed, but not music.

It's a tool to be able to play music without thinking about what your limbs are doing to a certain point. It's a state of mind and it basically is meditation. The slow down of time as we know it. Or it's actually that time doesn't exist and we only experience it.

Of course I don't have all the answers, and i'm also learning as I go. But, going back to your comment on metal being linear. I totally disagree. There are tons of metal drummers out there with A LOT of groove. Just because the style calls for speed, that doesn't mean that is all that metal drumming consist of. Take a listen to Meshuggah for instance. Their sound is ALMOST based solely off of rhythmic progression, and that's just one metal band I can think of off the top of my head.

Of course I don't have all the answers, and i'm also learning as I go. But, going back to your comment on metal being linear. I totally disagree. There are tons of metal drummers out there with A LOT of groove. Just because the style calls for speed, that doesn't mean that is all that metal drumming consist of. Take a listen to Meshuggah for instance. Their sound is ALMOST based solely off of rhythmic progression, and that's just one metal band I can think of off the top of my head.

I'll check em out. I've never heard a metal drummer groove. I've heard some guys play metal mathematical but then hear them play in a blues band with a solid groove. I just don't get it. I guess it's what the song writers want? I would say no and quit because it's does nothing for me.

I'm still learning as well and that's why I pointed that out. If you take the time to learn technique from a reputable teacher, you will be able to play faster for longer while being loose. you can force it, but you risk injury or you will hit a wall.

BTW, I can't bench worth a damn because I have 6' arms. I like to lift heavy stuff and put it down.

Back