Drum Badges: Should there be any: Good, bad ugly, post your pics.

The Ludwig Centennial badge. I think it's too big and too busy. I took them off the toms because they just ruined the look of the drums. I don't know why companies who have enormous brand recognition "such as Ludwig" would mess with success. These are excellent drums BTW.

logo.jpg

Yep, agree with that, there small enough but they arent very pretty. (on the subject of the pdp badge)

Last edited:
The Ludwig Centennial badge. I think it's too big and too busy. I took them off the toms because they just ruined the look of the drums. I don't know why companies who have enormous brand recognition "such as Ludwig" would mess with success. These are excellent drums BTW.

logo.jpg

You took them off? i think they look fairly nice (apart from the madie in taiwan), did you re-wrap your kit afterwards?

Oh, don't get me started on big logos. I expressed my distaste for them a while back and it riled a couple people up for some reason. I think the badges on my Spauns are too big. Fortunately, they match the color scheme of my kit, so they blend in and aren't terribly noticeable. Also fortunate is they are easy to remove.

Attachments

• badge.jpg
    badge.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3,578
Personally i think most badges should be made out of the same type of metal as the hoops and lugs. It would make it look way more uniform.

I actually like the saturn/orion logos apart from the size, but on that set it looks too out of place.

Some badges are bad. However, I find some tom mounts really ruin the look by hiding to much of the drum. This pic is extreme, but I wish they'd put the same effort into the look of support as the drum. sorry to change the subject...
Not to mention the fact that that drum has a large badge on each side! You couldn't hide those badges no matter how you displayed that Gretsch! That's just ridiculous!
They made sure that however one mounted the tom mount the badge would appear.

Too bad you can not change the letters around. I drive a VW Passat which can be rearranged to "Asspat".

GJS

I don't have a problem with my Pacific CX or Mapex Pro-M badges. I want some Mapex Saturns though, and if I get them, I'll be moving the lugs/mounting system on the rack toms so that instead of the vent hole being under the mount with a badge on each side, one badge will be under the mount, the vent holes toward the inside facing each other, and the other badge facing me, away from the audience. If I get the Starclassics that I'd rather have, it's a non-issue, 'cause I don't mind the badges [even the metal ones], plus I think there's only one per drum...?

I really think this is one of the silliest complaints I have ever heard. Beyond the fact that displaying a logo is about company recognition, it should be a matter of pride for the owner. If you own Mapex Saturns, you're the PROUD OWNER. If you're not proud to have them, happy to have them, why do you have them?

Second, even if you have no pride in your equipment, logos are relatively small. Honestly now. My Mapex Saturn badges are about 3"x1.5". The logos on my Paiste 2002s are 3.5"x3.5". That's minuscule when put in comparison to the overall size of the cymbals/drums!

Maybe I'm just crazy but I go out of my way to make sure the logos/badges are clean, visible and untarnished.

And I have yet to see a complaint about the HUGE logos on bass drum heads. Or is that okay because you can replace those, if you so wish?

There should be no badges on drums, they detract from the shells resonance.

Sleishman went to the extreme of putting the brand name on the susupension ring.

I like the idea of branding the logo onto the exterior or carving it in the wood or finish, more discrete and classier looking.

As for my Tama Superstar...well...I like how they are small, but those Tama Starclassic decals are awesome, not really badges, just a sticker or illustration underneath the finish.

I have the Premier badges similar to those on my Genistas, but my Signias have the HUGE SIGNIA in big gold square badge. It's an ebony finish, I always thought it would look better without the badge. Just me.

I really think this is one of the silliest complaints I have ever heard. Beyond the fact that displaying a logo is about company recognition, it should be a matter of pride for the owner. If you own Mapex Saturns, you're the PROUD OWNER. If you're not proud to have them, happy to have them, why do you have them?

Second, even if you have no pride in your equipment, logos are relatively small. Honestly now. My Mapex Saturn badges are about 3"x1.5". The logos on my Paiste 2002s are 3.5"x3.5". That's minuscule when put in comparison to the overall size of the cymbals/drums!

Maybe I'm just crazy but I go out of my way to make sure the logos/badges are clean, visible and untarnished.

And I have yet to see a complaint about the HUGE logos on bass drum heads. Or is that okay because you can replace those, if you so wish?

I agree.
I like the big, gaudy logos to be all over everything. The Gretsch logo is so badass that I made it my avatar. I'm proud of my drums and cymbals, logos and all. Maybe I just have poor taste.

Besides the fact that I play 'em, I always kinda liked the Yamaha RC badge. Satin backround with small black lettering. Classy and not overstated. However, I didn't like other badges Yamaha used, like the old tour custom or the 40th Anniversary badges. They were big brassy things, which to my mind were way too out front and obnoxious looking.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 3,546
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 3,596
I agree.
I like the big, gaudy logos to be all over everything. The Gretsch logo is so badass that I made it my avatar. I'm proud of my drums and cymbals, logos and all. Maybe I just have poor taste.

Well i would say you do have poor taste........

On cars it improves the lines and makes the whole thing more streamilned, in movies i hate when a product is blatantly adertised it just detracts, i also hale endorsers having names plastered over there bass heads

I've always wondered why drum companies do that. I think it would be better to just have a plain drum with nothing on it, just a nice clean-looking drum. Those badges cheapen the look of the drum in my opinion.

What are they for, anyway? To remind you of what kind of drums you're playing? Seems a bit silly to me.

I've never really noticed them - until now. That's a mill guys :p

Now that you mention it, a drum without branding would probably look better but you can't expect companies to miss out on a chance to promote the business. If the badge has info about the type of wood or metal etc then it can be useful for resales.

I can't speak for the others, but my statement doesn't come from a lack of pride in my gear. Those large silver badges on the Saturns above detract from that deep, gorgeous wood grain and lacquer. Now, in hindsight, if I get mine in the finish that I want- whatever their name is for silver sparkle, it escapes me- I probably won't move the mounts, 'cause there won't be so much contrast. I also use plain bass drum heads, and cymbal logos don't bother me 'cause A) black on brass isn't an obscene distraction of a finish, and B) they get cleaned off anyway.

Small is better, I think.

I do not recall DW has badges. They have distinctive hardware, which identifies the drum, so maybe badges aren't needed with DW.

My badges are branded into the drum - like with a hot iron.

They do have badges, surprisingly tasteful round ones, completely unnecessary with those huge, tacky turret lugs being their main identifier.

Back