Yamaha Drums

I just bought a new (demo) 5-piece Yamaha Recording Custom shell pack from an Authorized Yamaha dealer off Ebay for $1800. The listing said there were a few cosmetic flaws, but that is something that would not bother me. Unless there is some kind of problem with the drums, I am thinking I got an incredible deal. What do you guys think?

It's been a dream of mine to own these drums for a long time, I just love that Yamaha birch sound. I am a rock drummer, so I was looking for these drums which are in the slightly longer power sizes. They are:

9x10 Mounted Tom
10x12 Mounted Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
16x22 Bass Drum

The set also came with the TH-945 double tom holder.

Here's a pic below. Would love to hear from you guys!

Regards,

Alex

Nice sounds like you got a great deal please post more pic's ASAP

I just bought a new (demo) 5-piece Yamaha Recording Custom shell pack from an Authorized Yamaha dealer off Ebay for $1800. The listing said there were a few cosmetic flaws, but that is something that would not bother me. Unless there is some kind of problem with the drums, I am thinking I got an incredible deal. What do you guys think?

It's been a dream of mine to own these drums for a long time, I just love that Yamaha birch sound. I am a rock drummer, so I was looking for these drums which are in the slightly longer power sizes. They are:

9x10 Mounted Tom
10x12 Mounted Tom
14x14 Floor Tom
16x16 Floor Tom
16x22 Bass Drum

The set also came with the TH-945 double tom holder.

Here's a pic below. Would love to hear from you guys!

Regards,

Alex

Sounds like a great deal...love those RC's....I've got two Yamaha A-kits...a maple cus. abs. nouv. in apple sparkle fade and a birch cus.abs. in cherrywood finish...love em both!!

Thanks guys! I received the drums on Friday, and they were rather dusty and some had smudges on them. I wasn't able to get all the smudges off by rubbing them with my finger. I am not sure what the smudges were caused by, but they don't appear to have scratched the finish. Does anyone know the best way to clean these type of drums?

As far as sound, the toms sound great, exactly like I expected. The 16 x 22 bass drum seemed a littIe higher in pitch than my 18 x 22 DW that I am used to, but I haven't had a lot of time to mess with the tuning yet. I bought an Evans Resonant Black "Emad" bass drum head, and I am going to experiment with that.

Thanks.

P.S. Will post pictures when I get them cleaned up!

hey got my new Zildjian K Custom 20" Medium Ride! Absolutely love it! =D

Attachments

• DSC00139.JPG
    DSC00139.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 4,387
Hi MusiQmaN,
have you seen any new price list with the new part numbers (and options) included?
My seller have difficulties explaining the different options and prices available on Absolute kits for the moment, I'd like to know before placing an order.

Thanks for your help

When the new Absolutes are coming out, the new ones will be end of life (so you can't order them anymore, stock is what remains and WILL wear ot some time)

I heard they will be sending the new Absolutes out this month.

As i'm informed well, the new hook lugs will be an option and the old Absolute lugs (not the Nouveau lugs, there gone and are replaced by the new hook lugs) will be standard again.

Also the old Yess mount will be replaced by the new YessII mount on the Absolute series.

So forget 1 and 2 (or when you have luck you can get them from stock) 3 will be standard (Absolute lug) and 4 will be optional (hook lug, and thus more expensive)

What's also new is, is that you not only can order ''virgin'' kicks on the Absolute and PHX series but also on the Oak customs. Just add an ''R'' on the order form.

I added the European price list to this post.

Hi MusiQmaN,
have you seen any new price list with the new part numbers (and options) included?
My seller have difficulties explaining the different options and prices available on Absolute kits for the moment, I'd like to know before placing an order.

Thanks for your help

Hi kire,
pm me what you are looking for I have a full 2009 US price list

My fellow Yamaha owners: do any of you recommend the Ndugu Chancler sig. steel snare? I kind of like it, but I am worried it may be too loud for jazz work with the steel shell--I want to avoid excessive ring.

Some steel snares can be really loud. Should this be a concern with the Ndugu snare?

Then again, is there really that much of an audible difference in terms of loudness/volume between, say, the Yamaha Manu brass snare and the Ndugu steel snare?

Greetings fellow Yamaha drummers I am a new member but old drummer. My question is regarding the nouveau lug. My newest kit is a 5 pc. b.c.a.n. in wht. mar. pearl wrap these drums sound great and have served me well over the last 2-yr's until I noticed the wrap bubbling around the tom holder on the kick. I told my dealer ,he called yamaha and they built me a new one no charge which was great. Now I notice that the nouveau post that penetrate shell on the matching s.d. are leaning over and the washer is cutting into the wrap from the tension, it dosen't seem to be an issue on the toms or kick, which I tune on the lower end, but the snare you can see the post leaning over ,I told my dealer about this but havent heard back. Has anybody had this problem ? and is there another yamaha lug that could be retro-fit and utilize the current holes in the shell ? Any way I love yamaha drums, and own mutiple kits for various applications, but not to sure about this nouveau lug and would probaly replace all of them if I could. thanx murph

Man.. I haven't been around here in awhile..... nice to see Aydee still carrying the torch for Yammies! (Heya Abe!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. RC's all the way! the older mine get the better they sound.. Too bad I can't say that for myself ;-)

Peace!

Man.. I haven't been around here in awhile..... nice to see Aydee still carrying the torch for Yammies! (Heya Abe!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. RC's all the way! the older mine get the better they sound.. Too bad I can't say that for myself ;-)

Peace!

I'll second that although Ive been playen mostly absolutes for the last four years every now and then I'll pull out my 6-pc r.c. in deep aqua I had made in 94 and your right the tone just gets warmer and every sound tech loves those drums cause theres nothen to e.q. I really like the thinner absolute shells to just not crazy about those nouveau lugs

Just curious, has anyone here played one of the Sensitive Series Snares? Here's the blurb from Yamaha:

Yamaha developed the Sensitive Series snare drums from the very beginning to offer drummers a drum that would excel in any musical environment. From soft jazz, pop, or rock, this drum can do it all, and do it well. The shell, based on the Maple Custom, is a 7-ply shell made of North American maple.

The top bearing edge cut is 60° for more shell-to-head contact, adding warmth and body to the drum. The snare-side bearing edge cut at 45° for sensitivity and articulation. The snare beds are 2.7mm deep allowing great snare response at loose tension, yet a crisp sound without having to over-tighten the snares and choke the snare head.

The Sensitive Series drums are fitted with chrome Maple Custom style lugs and aluminum die-cast hoops. The small, one-bolt lugs allow the shell to vibrate, and the hoops are light for resonance and rigid for accurate tuning

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=567907&CTID=5040580

I read a favorable review recently in one of the magazines and my curiosity is piqued by the bearing edge variances and snare beds. Anyway, I haven't gotten my eyes/hands/ears on one yet but was curious if anyone else has.

thanks,

spleen

Just curious, has anyone here played one of the Sensitive Series Snares? Here's the blurb from Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumproductdetail.html?CNTID=567907&CTID=5040580

I read a favorable review recently in one of the magazines and my curiosity is piqued by the bearing edge variances and snare beds. Anyway, I haven't gotten my eyes/hands/ears on one yet but was curious if anyone else has.

thanks,

spleen

I have a whole Keller set cut this way and have been real happy with the sound for years. The snare especially sounds stellar, not too vintage, not to modern, 'hybrid' is a good word. The tom's sound fatter than double 45, but they don't sound totally 'round' like double 30 cuts, there's more focus to the overall tone. IMO 30 degree is the only way to go with a bass drum.

You might want to look into getting one of your wood snares re-cut this way before dropping big cake which Yamaha demands. Yamaha snares sound incredible no matter the cut IMO.

Greetings fellow Yamaha drummers I am a new member but old drummer. My question is regarding the nouveau lug. My newest kit is a 5 pc. b.c.a.n. in wht. mar. pearl wrap these drums sound great and have served me well over the last 2-yr's until I noticed the wrap bubbling around the tom holder on the kick. I told my dealer ,he called yamaha and they built me a new one no charge which was great. Now I notice that the nouveau post that penetrate shell on the matching s.d. are leaning over and the washer is cutting into the wrap from the tension, it dosen't seem to be an issue on the toms or kick, which I tune on the lower end, but the snare you can see the post leaning over ,I told my dealer about this but havent heard back. Has anybody had this problem ? and is there another yamaha lug that could be retro-fit and utilize the current holes in the shell ? Any way I love yamaha drums, and own mutiple kits for various applications, but not to sure about this nouveau lug and would probaly replace all of them if I could. thanx murph

Yamaha does have a problem here. If you're happy with the nouveau lugs, I would request a different finish. A different snare finish can actually make the kits more exciting to look at.

I have a whole Keller set cut this way and have been real happy with the sound for years. The snare especially sounds stellar, not too vintage, not to modern, 'hybrid' is a good word. The tom's sound fatter than double 45, but they don't sound totally 'round' like double 30 cuts, there's more focus to the overall tone. IMO 30 degree is the only way to go with a bass drum.

You might want to look into getting one of your wood snares re-cut this way before dropping big cake which Yamaha demands. Yamaha snares sound incredible no matter the cut IMO.

Thanks for the feedback L.I., much appreciated. "Versatile" is the word I'm seeing a lot of in descriptions of this drum.

And, I'm inclined to agree your last statement. ;-)

spleen

Yamaha does have a problem here. If you're happy with the nouveau lugs, I would request a different finish. A different snare finish can actually make the kits more exciting to look at.

hey Les thats a good idea i never thought of that, have you heard of yamaha trying to solve problems with the nouveau lug, thanx--murph

Hi Spleen, I have that snare. It's sensitive and does match up with the description that Yamaha advertised. I replaced the stock snares with a spare set of Noble and Cooley snares. This made the drum a little brighter and crisper but also added greater overall volume.

It also sounded great with some warmer Puresound bronze snares.This is a good jazz drum and a good rock/studio sounding drum.

Vesatile indeed...

PS I love the Vintage finish.

Attachments

• Yamaha vintage sensitive snare drum copy.jpg
    Yamaha vintage sensitive snare drum copy.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 3,624
Last edited:
Hi Spleen, I have that snare. It's sensitive and does match up with the description that Yamaha advertised. I replaced the stock snares with a spare set of Noble and Cooley snares. This made the drum a little brighter and crisper but also added greater overall volume.

It also sounded great with some warmer Puresound bronze snares.This is a good jazz drum and a good rock/studio sounding drum.

Vesatile indeed...

PS I love the Vintage finish.

Hey Jeremy!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually just scored one on Ebay (looks to be the same size/finish as yours--14 x 5.5 vintage natural?) and I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival! Got it for a great price as well.

Thanks also for telling me about your experiences with different snares--I'll definitely be trying out various possibilities for sounds. Just curious, what heads have you used?

best,

spleen

Congrats on scoring that drum at a good price. I still have the stock Yamaha heads that came with it. They sound like they're coated ambassador batter and a clear ambassador on the snare side. (Made for Yamaha by Remo is the only marking on them).

I have the 5x14 Vintage-natural you mention as seen in the photo.

Have fun !

Those are original remo Ambassador combintion heads, only have yamaha to on them.

Only the cheaper series (stage custom etc) having Remo UT (cheaper heads) on them (but yesterday I played on a new SC and they sounded wonderfull with the stock heads)

I personally not digging the Sensative series, can't tell why exactly... just not diggin them. I prefer the older Maple Custom's.

Back