Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

Thanks man, that's what I thought, and I did play the 4pc signet at a local GC and I was floored - the attack of birch and the body of maple. I have a maple gretsch renown which is a reference point for me, and after playing that often, and a dw kit at my rehearsals, I'm starting to lose interest in birch. The SC's are good, to make mine better I upgraded the hoops, but there are things I noticed that still makes the SC's cheap:

1) 6 lugs on 14" floor tom
2) Cheap lugs on the whole kit
3) 8 lugs on the BD.
4) Mysterious birch - although crafted well, still questionable

So I agree, a Signet is a step up.

The Signet also has 8 lugs on the bass but for some reason I am a fan of fewer lugs. even on snares. I Have a ten lug snare that I love and I have an 8 lug snare that I love. But I find few lugs to be so much easier to tune. I also like 5 likes on a 12 inch tom instead of 6. I know most people think differently but for me I find them easier to tune although I do think that more lugs on toms make them have a better feel. But on a snare I like the feel of few lugs.

Seems fair, MR probably looking at the price first (like everyone else) 500-$1000 can easily be considered entry level. The drumming community has to date been conditioned to view hybrid composite lugs as an entry level thing. Less obvious entry level feature would be non adjustable BD spurs, altho pretty sure the next gen SIG105 will have adjustable spurs, every other $1000 kit has em.

My only knit-pick with this kit are the bass spurs. However my only complaint is that it raises the front end. I actually prefer that they are non adjustable I just wish the would have cut 2 inches off of them. Maybe in the next gen they will have different spurs on the 22 and 20.

My only knit-pick with this kit are the bass spurs. However my only complaint is that it raises the front end. I actually prefer that they are non adjustable I just wish the would have cut 2 inches off of them. Maybe in the next gen they will have different spurs on the 22 and 20.

You say 2, someone else says 3... WTH, just make them adjustable, its a $1000 drum kit.

Pretty sure LUDWIG will see those BD spurs as a feature easily improved upon.

The spurs are the same for both 20 & 22" drums, but are mounted in slightly different places on the shell so that the height in front stays about the same on each drum.

But the spur adjustment - or perhaps the ability to mount it at a choice of heights on thne shell - would be all that I would change about the Signets. I suppose I could just drill some new holes a little higher, so the drum would sit a little lower... I've already rendered them unoriginal by installing a tom mount plate on each!

Bermuda

My thoughts too regarding the spur. I really don't car if its adjustable. I love the sleek new look of this spur, it's really beautifly done. Like you, just shorten it a few....and that's all!

Signets vs Stage Customs? For me its simple, I like the fact that that I'm getting a real North American Maple shell made at Ludwig's factory. I like the simple design of the drums, as well as the looks. The hardware is well done with some new innovative features.

I may be the first drummer to take Signets into the studio, and here they are!

sig_studio.jpg

These are 22/12/16, and they sounded like Ludwigs, as they should! The guys and engineer have heard a lot of Ludwig kits from me, and they loved these, as do I. They'll appear on Al's new album, due... um, er... someday. Soon. :)

As with my 20" kick, the tom mount is not stock, I installed it (I don't hang toms from cymbal stands.) Also dig the old 1400 stands! Old school is how I roll (so to speak.)

Bermuda

I may be the first drummer to take Signets into the studio, and here they are!

sig_studio.jpg

These are 22/12/16, and they sounded like Ludwigs, as they should! The guys and engineer have heard a lot of Ludwig kits from me, and they loved these, as do I. They'll appear on Al's new album, due... um, er... someday. Soon. :)

As with my 20" kick, the tom mount is not stock, I installed it (I don't hang toms from cymbal stands.) Also dig the old 1400 stands! Old school is how I roll (so to speak.)

Bermuda

You beat me to it, my band is going to the studio on Saturday where I will be laying down the last few tracks for our album with my signets.

Also I don't think I mentioned it before but That antler mount looks killer on those drums. I have always been into those mounts, and wish that ludwig would still offer them.

They still offer the mounting plate, but we're on our own for the 1781 holder. In good shape they fetch $75 on ebay.

Bermuda

Quick question regarding the mounting of the Terabeat rack toms on the crash stands.

Do I need to get heavy-duty stands (Atlas Pro), or will mediocre stands suffice (Atlas Standard)?

Are the Tom holders (that tie the tom to the cymbal stand) included in the shell kit, or does "hardware not included" mean I need two of these?
TIA
-kamak

Last edited:
The clamp-on holders are supposed to be included with the kit, and as long as you align the hanging tom over a leg on the stand (in the same way you should position a cymbal boom arm over a leg...) it should be plenty sturdy.

Bermuda

The clamp-on holders are supposed to be included with the kit, and as long as you align the hanging tom over a leg on the stand (in the same way you should position a cymbal boom arm over a leg...) it should be plenty sturdy.

Bermuda

Excellent and thanks for the fast reply.

When I order a Terabeat kit, how do I go about ordering an extra (Gigabeat style) 14x14 floor tom in a matching finish? I do not see this 'option' on any of the dealer websites. Do I just tell the salesperson/dealer and make them figure it out?

I'd really prefer to get all 5 pieces up-front, as I imagine I'll have a hell of a time getting the 5th piece (in a matching finish) a decade from now.

Yep, your dealer can order the extra piece, there are catalog #s for them. There's also an 8" tom available.

Yep, your dealer can order the extra piece, there are catalog #s for them. There's also an 8" tom available.

Excellent. I've added it to my worksheet.

As a former professional guitarist and someone fairly new to the world of percussion, I have to say that I am surprised by the difficulty (and potential expense) that I've encountered procuring a full kit from a single vendor. If it looks like I'm going about this incorrectly, please ping me via PM before I blow a year's worth of my happy-fun-time budget.

Thanx again for the advice.
-KamaK

Bermuda

Wait, are the clamp-on holders supposed to be included with the gigabeat kit as well? I didn't receive any for my 12" tom with my kit.

I believe they are included. It would be like a floor tom not coming with the legs required to hold it up. If the store claims they're not... make them give you one anyway, and make sure it has the correct 12mm post.

Tell 'em Bermuda sez so.

I never received any sort of rack tom bracket with mine. Fresh out of the factory box too. Didnt bother me though, not to many kits ever did.

Excellent. I've added it to my worksheet.

As a former professional guitarist and someone fairly new to the world of percussion, I have to say that I am surprised by the difficulty (and potential expense) that I've encountered procuring a full kit from a single vendor. If it looks like I'm going about this incorrectly, please ping me via PM before I blow a year's worth of my happy-fun-time budget.

Thanx again for the advice.
-KamaK

That's quite the list! I can understand wanting an all Atlas hardware kit but you could save a few dollars and some heft with some other options.

I had a decent pile of DW 9000 and Pearl 2000 hardware but started getting tired of all that weight. Slowly sold off and replaced with lighter hardware.

I did not received anything other than the triad mounts with mine and they were fresh out of the box. However I had intended to mount it on a snare stand from the beginning.

Well then, let me verify it with Ludwig.

That's quite the list! I can understand wanting an all Atlas hardware kit but you could save a few dollars and some heft with some other options.

I had a decent pile of DW 9000 and Pearl 2000 hardware but started getting tired of all that weight. Slowly sold off and replaced with lighter hardware.

I hear you, and agree with your two points (price and weight). I have found that the long term benefits of the single-vendor philosophy typically outweigh the short term gains of multi-vendor packages. I'm well-enought to understand that it's an entirely personal choice/quirk of mine, and that neither philosophy is really any better than the other.

I'll ask the dealer about the tom mounts. I'd be disconcerted if someone allowed me to buy $4k worth of kit from them and didn't include a way to mount the toms. I'm really surprised that Ludwig doesn't offer fully kitted packages, or a web-based BOM 'configurator' application that does this work for the customer.

Thanx again for all the assistance.

Back