Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Let me emphasize that I weighed the decision carefully and repeatedly before proceeding, and was apprehensive even while doing it. I had considered finding a drum repair guy to use a drill press and make sure the holes were centered through the round leg. Even a slight variance would mean the leg would sit/clamp properly in the groove made for it. I went ahead with it because 1) I needed it for that night, 2) the original holes would remain intact so worst case scenario, the drum would just be at its original angle, and 3) I could always order another pair of legs from Ludwig. If I wasn't in such a rush, I absolutely would have taken them to a local machine shop or Pro Drum for guaranteed success.Can you describe how you went about drilling the second hole? There doesn't seem to be much room for error so it's critical to get it right on the first attempt.
But, here's what I did. First and foremost, drilling a 5/16" hole in a piece that's only slightly larger doesn't leave much room for error. You can see in the photo that there's a flat spot on the leg, so it's not like I had to start a hole at the apex of a round bar (although a drill press could easily have done that...) So I used a center punch to make an indent for the drill bit, to ensure that I at least started in the center.
Making sure the hole went directly through the center of the leg depends on the flat spot being absolutely level. A vice would help ensure that it's level and held firm, but I didn't use one. Why? Because there's no guarantee that a hand-held drill would be perfectly vertical in order to make a straight hole, and that's even more important than the hole being centered on the leg, because it affects how the leg slips onto the mount and tightens into place. In other words, keeping the leg locked into place wouldn't have made any difference, the hand-held drill was the real variable.
But I went ahead anyway, knowing that I wasn't going to ruin the original integrity of the leg.
I held the rod in place against a wood plank, drilled a 1/8" pilot hole, then the 5/16". I was slightly off-center on one, because the leg wasn't exactly at the right rotation to the bit, but I nailed the other. Somehow - and more importantly - the holes were also straight, and sipped onto the mount perfectly.
Basically, I got lucky.
I'd still recommend using a drill press if you have access to one, or just take it to a professional. That's what I'll be doing with my other Signet kick legs.
108.5 KB Views: 218
131.3 KB Views: 216