An attempt at a policy change here

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were an un-repentant troll, I'd probably suggest that we all put links to Guru in our signature lines so they show up with every post. I might further suggest that we all fill up the PM box of certain individuals with links to Guru and pages of information.

Good thing I'm not one of those un-repentant trolls who would mention something like that just to get under someone's skin. Good thing.

Please disagree...no issue with that. I stand by my assessment...it is marketing. It is thinly veiled marketing...that exposes the product to people and can increase awareness and sales

Is the end result that the product gets exposed and can create awareness? Answer that question...there is only one answer. And that is what was happening.

I have a problem with it

The same thing happens when you, I or anyone else posts a glowing review of a product or even just mentions a mfg by name. Get over yourself. Unless you are prepared to argue that the discussion of any product by anyone is out of bounds you have no point. If you think mfg's are not paying people to post reviews/name drop etc/ all over the net you are naive at best. All you accomplished was driving away a valuable resource.

Its an awfully specific point to pick on for no reason for some one who is "just here to learn". Has me wondering who's payroll you might be on.....

Last edited:
The reason the "no advertising" rule was created is as plain as the nose on your face. It was designed to stop the hit and run spammer......surely this is obvious to even the most feeble minded?

Trust me, they won't listen. I mentioned it 20 or more posts ago - whoosh. Hang on, I have an idea:

The reason the "no advertising" rule was created is as plain as the nose on your face. It was designed to stop the hit and run spammer

Worried about Muckster's candy ... I've gained a disgraceful amount of weight over spring. I am developing my own gravity field.

If I were an un-repentant troll, I'd probably suggest that we all put links to Guru in our signature lines so they show up with every post. I might further suggest that we all fill up the PM box of certain individuals with links to Guru and pages of information.

Good thing I'm not one of those un-repentant trolls who would mention something like that just to get under someone's skin. Good thing.

Yes, that would be uncalled for.

This is a sad state of affairs.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, wrong with somebody who is an active member of a community also using that community to hawk their wares provided that, first and foremost, the individual is a contributing member of that community.

The difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour is hard to define but very easy to spot. Andy has always been first and foremost a contributing member of this community.

I honestly hope to see him posting about what he has been up to with Guru at some point in the future.

The only consolation is that Bacterium Fend Yoke has been pulled out of the woodwork by this storm in a teacup.

What I've gathered from all of this is that Shemp has set himself up as protector to all the poor little forum users who are so simple-minded that might have been conned into spending money on a product simply because they were asked to look at a prototype website & give an opinion.
Good job there's someone looking out for all the simpletons. Shame on all you level-headed, sane adults who are cross at him.

Winning!

No offense, but I don't think this really solves anything. The thing about Andy's posts is, they were not marketing. He was usually excited about some event or gig he played/wanted to share, and part of the excitement was the drums he built.

It seems to me like this sub forum idea would be a burden to him because he might wonder if he has to post something there if he mentions for example, what guru snare he was using on a video, or just wants to informally discuss his website as he's building it.

I don't think he's the type to come around and post up a bunch of brochure material in some kind of advertising sub-forum that most sane people would steer clear of.

I couldn't agree more. And if there is a sub-forum it could bring unwanted spam. Just my opinion. Although I will miss hearing about those beautiful drums and I hope Andy does not stop giving his opinion as far as drum building goes.

Yes, that would be uncalled for.

And think of the children! They'd have to see those terrible links with their eyeballs and would be scarred, scarred, I tell ya.

OK great, I now have a point to attack. Thanks Jules. You stated that the no advertising rule is to stop the hit and run spammers. Thank you for pointing that out.

I think it's easily projected that a spammer isn't reading rules lol. I mean that's laughable. Probably bots anyway. Even if they did read the rules, do you really think that would be a deterrent? Lol. So if that is the sole reason for the no advertising rule, that's about as useless as it gets. There's got to be more to it than that I would hope.

Which leaves us the very real situation of tons of good darn people donating a lot of their valuable time in an earnest effort to make this place what it is, the best friggin drummer destination in the entire universe. I think they deserve to speak about their passion. In fact, most respectfully, I demand it. These people are contributing a real asset, time. Yea, damn right, they deserve certain privileges.

I did not start this post...I'm merely standing up for what I believe to be true...there is no emotion in these posts I have written...

My goal was not to devalue or improve...it was to state an opinion. The rest took off on it's own and I did not see it coming nor did I want this to happen.
Agreed, & I agree.

Guys, in case you didn't read my earlier post, let me clarify as best I can. shemp was not responsible for my decision. At worst, expressing his opinion was a catalyst. I believe his opinion to be sincerely felt, & it has merit. I don't agree with his assessment of the body of my posts, but I do see how conclusions can be drawn. Shemp is not the issue here. If anything, he's one of a number of members who have this opinion, it's just that he had the balls to say it. I respect that.

Black and white?
Fixed - hatful of arseholes may take a bit longer = working on it :)

And Andy, quit being a baby.
Not the case. A rational decision based on many factors, not least of all, a lack of available time to defend my position, & feeling the need to censor myself. Quite a relief actually.

Why is the Brady drums video thread still up if this is a real issue?

I think it is great. This guy is passionate about what he does and is trying his hardest to spread the word about his company. I'm sure he makes great drums, and he just wants to let people know he is out here too. Maybe he cant afford expensive advertising. You have to give the guy credit, it isn't easy repping your brand all the time.

Why is the Brady drums video thread still up if this is a real issue?

Good point. Perhaps I'm blowing this thing up too much. I just don't want to see an environment where something like this, meaning calling someone out for advertising, has any legs to stand on.

Andy you are too nice man. But in keeping with your standards, your intents are, as always, admirable.

Ugly as a hat full of arseholes...Anon, you still slay me.

The difference, Shemp, is that Andy built his reputation on here long before he was involved in Guru drums. If it was a new poster aggressively marketing, it would be different. Neither was the case.

Totally in agreement. Totally. I'd be one of the first people to call someone out for just showing up here at DW to hock their wares. Andy has shown tactfulness, professionalism and manners in every post related to Guru Drums. Heck - the guy from Crush Drums shows up here often as well. And we all love it.

I think if we just ignore Shemp and get back to talking about drums - including Guru - things will get back to normal.

p.s. I wish we had a DW member named Moe. We could ask him to give Shemp a couple of eye gouges. :)

Attachments

• moe (V0042384).JPG
    moe (V0042384).JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 336
Agreed, & I agree.

Guys, in case you didn't read my earlier post, let me clarify as best I can. shemp was not responsible for my decision. At worst, expressing his opinion was a catalyst. I believe his opinion to be sincerely felt, & it has merit. I don't agree with his assessment of the body of my posts, but I do see how conclusions can be drawn. Shemp is not the issue here. If anything, he's one of a number of members who have this opinion, it's just that he had the balls to say it. I respect that.

+1

Fixed - hatful of arseholes may take a bit longer = working on it :)

I'm so happy! Someone actually read my post! Guess I deserved it for not reading up the 120 prior posts.

Seriously, the design needs work - straight up and down, centred hasn't worked since 2002. Also, white on black is harder to read than traditional black on white (or white variant). Great for headings and break out boxes, not for the text body. The principle is to avoid making the screen dark enough that you dilate the reader's pupils and them hit them with white text or light images.

Seriously, I think you should re-post :)

MOE!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

My intent was not shemp bashing, shemp eye gouging or shemp shanking. But since he willfully came and stated everything he did, then he opened himself up for anything that comes his way. I am done with that aspect of the thread. I actually still would like to see a new a sub forum, so a future shemp-like accusation would be ungrounded.

I have read most of this and skipped over the sections that tend to be a little personal as it also is prohibited and not the behavior we seek here on the forum. Stay on topic please. I post this as a review to keep all straight.

Using the Classifieds thread
We realize that many drummers wish to do business with each other when it comes to buying, selling, or trading equipment. While we ban spammers immediately, we provide the Classifieds thread as a service to our regular members. If a post appears to be from a business venture or is the first post made by someone who has just joined our community, it is likely that we will see this as an abuse of our goodwill and the post in question will be deleted.

If you feel someone is in violation of this rule then please use the PM section to one of the Mods to have it looked at.

There are other border line posts on here at times, such as one member who works for a music store and uses the classifieds to sell what is obviously not personal gear but store stock. I am a little edgy on that as well.

Wac'd drums has posted many times on his lug mounting system and it seemed not to be a problem. We have had many iPhone and Android app sellers here and no one seemed to mind.

And is no different than these in my opinion, and again it is only an opinion. He has chosen to censor himself and should be respected for it. We all found it fun and educational to watch the progress of his projects.

I will not take sides on this and will only repeat that if you have a problem with a post report it and we will go from there. Bernhard will have the final say as to what is OK.

Larry,I hate to dissagree here Larry,but that is just capitulation to the guy who started this whole thing.There was NO ,thinly vailed marketing involved here.Andy has asked for opinions on other occasion here,because the man values the input,not to hawk his wares,or use his guile in selling his drums.That would be obvious to even a blind man.

I think Shemp,your post ,basicly calls into question this mans motivation, goals and integrity.,while seeking to split hairs about a forum rule that he CLEARLY wasn't violating.

I don't feel violated,nor do the rest of the regular members here who actually do contribute to the discussion here.There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion,but you though it wise somehow,to call out a mans integrity,and then defend that position,when in reality,it's indefenceable.

You want to learn.?Learn this;you just don't impune a mans reputation,using a thinly vailed, opinion,and comment about a supposed marketing sceme.

What crap.

Steve B

Last edited:
Then allow me to use mine for the first time in 4 odd years......

What a fucking circus!! I'm genuinely bloody staggered this is even an issue.

The reason the "no advertising" rule was created is as plain as the nose on your face. It was designed to stop the hit and run spammer......surely this is obvious to even the most feeble minded? Quite a bit of leeway is offered here. The ones who break the spirit of that are easily identifiable.....hint, they're not the ones who actively contribute to the wider forum as well. The fact that Bernhard allows regular contributing members to let us know their wares are available is a sure fire sign that it breaks no DW rules, no?

Andy isn't the only one able to offer a unique perspective from inside the business....and thank christ for it. Sometimes that inside knowledge can be far more beneficial.......whether it be one of the various drum makers, cymbalsmiths, retail store owners, company employees, teachers or professional endorsers that frequent this place.......that knowledge often goes above and beyond the limited scop offered by some kid in his bedroom with fifteen minutes experience.

And people wanna shut that down? FFS!

Don't like it? Fine.....start your own forum and create your own rules. But until then. let the site owner and mods determine who crosses boundaries and who doesn't

Totally agree with this..

Dutch

I'd like to opine on this tricky issue. Shemp's complaints, while incorrect, are not outlandish. Only his answer to such issues is what really bothers me. Reading the forum rules, the only mention of advertising is in regards to spammers - "Spammers will be immediately banned (we define spam as advertising a product not related to drumming and/or any unsolicited advertising)," and in the guidelines for the Classified section - "While we ban spammers immediately, we provide the Classifieds thread as a service to our regular members. If a post appears to be from a business venture or is the first post made by someone who has just joined our community, it is likely that we will see this as an abuse of our goodwill and the post in question will be deleted." Andy has never posted about his company in either manner, and while there perhaps could be a more appropriate platform to ask for website advice, what he did was in no violation of any rule or convention of this forum. While I would've made a different decision, Andy's decision to change his personal policy is incredible. If he is worried about honest representation, I would like to ask for him to create a new account with a new name relating to Guru where he can openly talk about his company. Boom, everybody wins. SUPER-transparency, and Andy can separate work from business. Transparent marketing is a very common practice on many forums all over. Many companies have accounts on forums - some audio products are developed nearly hand-in-hand with the Head-Fi community forums, and these kind of healthy symbiotic relationships behoove both consumer and producer, and are nearly universally welcomed.

Shemp's complaints are unfounded in regards to Andy's conduct, and it is strongly distasteful that such complaints should fall onto one of this community's most well-respected, overly-thoughtful, and open members. Having seen many advertisers come through, he has similarly complied with every request of moderators I have seen in my 4+ years.

As to how the community should handle these complaints, I would love to see a sub-forum for professional company's to have a forum to give and receive info on products - another very common practice on many forums. This shall not replace, modify, or change any way such companies are currently involved in the normal gear forums. I see NO REASON for anything to change. Since Andy's decision to remove all Guru mentions from future posts was purely voluntary, this should not affect other company representatives. As stated, all company representatives (non-spammers, of course) have always been allowed to transparently market products - if the moderators chose to, in light of recent events, change this policy - it would be very untoward. Many years of regulating practice cannot in my mind be changed in any manner that I would see as fair and honest.

Shemp owes this community a complete apology for his ignorant actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back