GRETSCH ORPHAN SHELLS = New Kit

KONA

Silver Member
I put this together since last December. It started by finding an original (54-58?) Gretsch 9x13 Cadillac Green tom complete with all the original gold hardware.

It took 6 months or so to get all the 3ply shells together. I have all the era correct hardware - a lot of it came with the drums - some bought on eBay. I was going to gold plate all the hardware but changed my mind - I like the chrome look almost as much. I did not drill the virgin bass drum for the Pratt mute, cymbal and rail mounts. I do have the hardware but just did not have the heart to put holes in this rare bass drum. I switched my tom stickchopper hoops for the new Brookly Series 302 Stickchopper hoops. I will also be changing the gold sparkle inlay for Silver or Green sparkle. I will also be tucking calfhide heads on all the drums.

THE DRUMS - all three ply Gretsch:
9x13 original Cadillac Green tom
22" 1951 Bass
16" 1953 Floor Tom
6.5x14 1950 Snare

THE FINISH
A local automotive paint supplier matched paint to my 9x13 tom.
An automotive painter here in town painted the shells. It was his very first drum project and I'm pleased with the result.

Attachments

• 1 KIT (Custom).JPG
    1 KIT (Custom).JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 767
  • 1AA (Custom).JPG
    1AA (Custom).JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 404
Gary, I nominate you for king of restoration status!!

I remember seeing the orphan tom in another thread. How good do they look, hey? He's done a hell of a job matching the paint. Fabulous!

Can't wait to see it with the old school 50's era heads! Can I suggest a thread on the calfhide tuck too? I've never actually seen the process done.....I'm sure others will find it interesting too.

Well done on yet another excellent restoration mate. I know you're not a bloke to rest on his laurels.....what's next?

That is real nice. I like that you didn't use gold hardware and the green hoop inlay will look great when you install it.

How cool is that? GReat job on putting together a smart looking Gretsch kit.

I like the gold inlay (Packers fan - ha ha). It blends well with the woodblock, cymbals, and sticks.

The green book on the floor tom in the first pic matches nicely too.

Just kidding. Good job.

That's a nice kit. I look forward to hearing these drums with calf skin heads. Why do you want to tuck when you can get Earthtones? I have tucked conga heads and they worked out well.

Thanks for sharing Kona.

GJS

Oh man, oh man, oh man ............................. nice.​

Thanks guys - yes - it was fun mostly, some frustration but that's part of it hu.

I will tuck my own heads because 1) I like the experience 2) I get a real custom fit.

The inlay - It will fit in nice-n-snug....I will be able to switch it out Green/Silver/Gold if I want. I'm not 'nailing' it in. I think I just lightly stuck this Gold in there to begin with so it would not be difficult to remove. If I eventually settle on the inlay that will stay there I might glue it to the hoop. I had it custom cut 13/16" so it will 'snap' in there nicely.......I think haha.

My pc crashed horribley last night...I'm using my work (at work doh) pc for now. So it might be a while before I can post a Calfhide Tucking thread.

Gretsch cadillac green is just a real classy finish and I even like the re issue.I do like it better with the chrome hardware.Just beautiful drums.:)

Stevve B

Back