New DVD on brush technique "The Brush Secret"

FAZ

Dear members of drummerworld.com,

I just released my new DVD which is called "The brush Secret".
It's a 192 minute double DVD set that also comes with a big Poster with a nice overview of some basic patterns on it.
You'll gt that also at every local dealer from EVANS!

To get some impressions please check out the new websitehttp://www.thebrushsecret.com

I hope that this DVD will reveal the mistery behind the playing with brushes.
and as always: If you have any questions, don#t hesitate and ask!

best regards,
Florian

All I can say is: I have it, I love it!!

On his brand new DVD Florian has a fresh approach to the brushes. Apart the traditional ways he's incorporating the linear motion, using multiple snare (or world music) setups or in one example is even using the brushes as a bass drum beater to produce new and cool sounds).

The material is presented in a clear way and is highly inspiring to get going (I'm a complete newbie to the brushes). He's also displaying how to do rudiments with brushes so after getting acquired with the various ways to implement rudiments one could basically implement almost everything on th ebrushes.

The prodution is pro, audio quality is top notch. It's fun both watching the DVD and (trying to) learn stuff off it. And it has a lot of stuff (will keep me busy for quite some time). I especially enjoy watching and listening to the superb audio quality of the "Frame drum solo" and "Hardrise" in the Performances section (panning the drum elements in the stereo field makes everything open up - yummy!). The sounds are so... pure, real and warm. It's a great listening experience!

FAZ, congrats to your DVD, and thanks for making it!

Is the DVD worth the buy if I already own Playing With Brushes?

I feel as if the two products are extremely similar.

hey topgun!

as the author I have to say they are totally different ;)
Serious, you can look at the book like getting the basics done (like stick Control).
At the DVD you can see how you apply everything in different genres (17!) and how to transfer percussion grooves for example.
there are guest appearences by Benny Greb, Jost Nickel, Mike Johnston and Stanton Moore too.
Mike Johnston for example explains how he thinks in groupings and how he plays that with sticks. I'm showing that at the same chapter ho to do exactly the same patterns with the brushes.

hope that helped...

Are you talking "The Art Of Playing Brushes" (Adam Nussbaum, Steve Smith) or "Complete Guide To Playing Brushes" (by FAZ)?

To get a better idea of the material/techniques presented on "The Brush Secret" take a look at some YouTube videos of "FlorianAlexandruZorn". On the website to "The Brush Secret" there's a few video excerpts:
http://thebrushsecret.com/#/brush-patterns

Without knowing the other tutorial(s) you mentioned I think FAZ has a new energetic, more aggressive and overall more modern concept with some innovations. For anybody seriously into brushes I think it's well worth the money.

EDIT
Well the master has responded himself...

I just ordered it. Or rather, I sent my info to order it and assume I'll get instructions emailed to me on where to pay for it.

Florian has a very fresh approach to brushes and if this is anything like the videos he's put up, the DVD will be more than worth it.

-John

I just got it this afternoon! Anytime I get something drum related in the mail, it's like Christmas come early. But this one in particular is a TOTAL experience. There is so much ground covered in it that I can't do justice in a few short paragraphs, but suffice it to say, it gives brush playing a shot in the arm. Yes, there are a lot of excellent brush videos out there, but this one has a modern edge to it and still stays traditionally grounded.

It comes with two DVDs, a brush map poster and has first rate sound and video production. I only spent about 45 minutes skipping through it today, but will keep busy working through it for quite some time. I could easily spend a day (week?+) on each sub-chapter. It's also inspiring just to see him explain, play and/or accompany in many different styles.

Florian has an easy going but methodical approach and even if you watch casually, you're bound to be inspired by his playing. And if you're looking for fresh, in depth practicing material, you will have plenty to keep you busy. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised!

-John

Hey John!

Glad you like it.
It was my fulltime project for the last 4 Months so it's always great to get a feedback!
best,
Florian

FAZ, thanks for this upload! That was the cool solo I was talking of.

As somebody asked on YouTube referring to the bass pedal: Did you use the new JoJo Mayer pedal?

thanks. I only cut a normal legacy brush with a saw and tightened up the screw of the pedal - that's all.

Back