Your favorite crashable ride cymbal?

MrKodySka

Im looking for a ride cymbal with good ping while played on the face and a great FULL crash sound when struck. Some I have in mind..

21 inch zildjian sweet ride.

21 inch Sabian HHX evolution ride

21 inch Sabian HHX groove ride

Any others you guys suggest I check out for a crashable/ pingy enough ride cymbal?

I own and have been happy with the crashability of both the Zildjian Sweet ride and the Paiste 24" Giant Beat ride.

Although I really wouldn't call either of these two rides "pingy" in the traditional sense. Crashable rides tend to have quite washy characteristics to them. Hence why they crash as well as they do. That's not to say you can't get a nice defined ping up on the bell etc, but "generally speaking" ping and wash are different characteristics.

I own and have been happy with the crashability of both the Zildjian Sweet ride and the Paiste 24" Giant Beat ride.

Although I really wouldn't call either of these two rides "pingy" in the traditional sense. Crashable rides tend to have quite washy characteristics to them. Hence why they crash as well as they do. That's not to say you can't get a nice defined ping up on the bell etc, but "generally speaking" ping and wash are different characteristics.

Would you say that you can get a defined ride sound from it though?

Would you say that you can get a defined ride sound from it though?

For sure you can. They certainly aren't like hitting a thin crash cymbal by any measure. But they can definitely start to wash out if you're really laying into them low down on the bow or the sound edge. But at the end of the day it's worth remembering that they are designed to be crashed as well as ridden. So the harder you hit, the more that wash can get away from you.

Love my sweet ride, but dont expect to get any real ping from it. Its meant to be layed into for that crash/ride wall of sound.

For sure you can. They certainly aren't like hitting a thin crash cymbal by any measure. But they can definitely start to wash out if you're really laying into them low down on the bow or the sound edge. But at the end of the day it's worth remembering that they are designed to be crashed as well as ridden. So the harder you hit, the more that wash can get away from you.

well put. I have a Sabian Duo ride, quite happy with it as a crash-ride.

but also the 20" Zildjian Ping Ride. Has a really defined ping but you can open it for a decent crash with a glance strike to the end of the bow.

Yeah? Now I find that very interesting Jackson.

I own the Ping ride as well. I have never thought that cymbal crashed well at all. Very gongy, quite heavy and exceptionally difficult to get to open up, I always thought.

That's not to say I don't love the thing, because I do. But I love it for it's sharp bite and ability to cut through a mix with plenty of clarity. When I want a ride that crashes, the absolute last cymbal in my arsenal I'd ever reach for is the Ping ride. It's funny how our ears hear differently......one mans "smooth and buttery" is another mans "sounds like hitting a piece of tin" ;-)

Yeah? Now I find that very interesting Jackson.

I own the Ping ride as well. I have never thought that cymbal crashed well at all. Very gongy, quite heavy and exceptionally difficult to get to open up, I always thought.

That's not to say I don't love the thing, because I do. But I love it for it's sharp bite and ability to cut through a mix with plenty of clarity. When I want a ride that crashes, the absolute last cymbal in my arsenal I'd ever reach for is the Ping ride. It's funny how our ears hear differently......one mans "smooth and buttery" is another mans "sounds like hitting a piece of tin" ;-)

That's the way the cookie crumbles. Mine might be a bit lighter than yours by the sounds of it. :)

I have a few that meet this criteria. I agree on the Zildjian A Sweet ride. I also think the Zildjian 20" Dark ride and the Sabian 21" Vintage ride works well for this.

Dennis

My three favourite crashable rides:

1: Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Ride
2: Sabian HHX Evolution Ride
3: Sabian HHX Groove Ride

The Meinl easily sounds best when crashed, but lacks the ping and bell definition of the two Sabians.

Last edited:
Sabian 18" HH crash ride, great all round cymbal, good ride and my favorite crash plus it has one of the best bell sounds I have ever heard.

Mine is the 24 K Light Ride.

It crashes beautifully and if you play it within the center 8-10 inches it has decent stick definition. I wouldn't call it pingy by any stretch but you can get a decent ping out of it if you stay closer to the bell.

The better the crashability, the less pronounced the ping is, in my experience.

I like to have a pingy ride, but I also need a washy ride, for certain stuff. So my main ride pings. I have a great crash cymbal that renders a superior washy ride, a Sally Billy Ann 20" AAXplosion crash. That cymbal has a great washy ride, a truly superior bell, and an extremely satisfying crash that has many levels, depending on how and where you hit it. So I get 2 cymbals for one. I don't sacrifice anything with that cymbal, except the ride sound doesn't ping.

The better the crashability, the less pronounced the ping is, in my experience.

That's what I thought until I got this Paiste. Incredible ping and incredible crash. The bell can be tinny unless you hit it with the meat of the stick. They advertise it as a heavy metal ride or something, but that is way too limiting. Played with touch and feel, it's gorgeous sounding.

Last edited:
Yet another vote for the Sweet ride sounding great when crashed but not having a real defined ping. I do love it's bell though, and with the sizzle chain I put on there, it sounds magnificent!

If you're looking for both characteristics, check out the Sabian AAX Omni and the Meinl Byzance Sand Ride.

I have no idea what kind of music you play but if it's LOUD you could probably get away with crashing a Zildjian A Medium Ride (24") like Thomas Pridgen does.

-Jonathan

Back