Don't take our word for it!

S

sticks4drums

If you are looking to buy a new anything related to drums. Please, try and go out and have a listen for yourself. Asking us what you should buy is fruitless. Everyone on here has there own opinion on what cymbal sounds best, or which is the best drum company. Which company has the best tom mount, or hardware.

I am so glad that I was not on these sites when it came time for me to be reintroduced to acoustic drums again, after playing electronic drums for the past 20 years. I went out and picked the drums and cymbals I liked. Not what someone else liked. I picked the color I liked. I did not need to to ask everyone what color I should get.

We spend many a day on here trying to help people out with their decisions. Of course I think my drums and cymbals are the best choice. I chose them. This is why I recommend them. If you ask me which drums you should buy, I will tell you the same thing everyday. Not because of brand, or who plays them, or because they invented the tension rod.

Every time I go down stairs, I am so grateful that I chose what I chose. I would not change it for anything. Does that mean it is right for someone else. Maybe, maybe not. But if you ask me what to buy, I will tell you what I think is best.

Make your own decisions people. You will be happy you did. :)

I agree 100%
It seems that people seem to think that they are going to start a quick thread and get some magic replies that lead them to percussion gear nirvana!

When they are told to go out and try different things they usually respond with something like this,
"I don't have any place near me where I can try the ________"

That is true sometimes, For example I can't go to my local music store and sample a Sonor Delite kit. I have to travel out of state or simply trust my instinct based on my research into the company and the product.
Agop cymbals are another example.
I was able to determine what Agop cymbals I liked and I made several purchases that I am eternally happy with based on my internet research.
It's not hard to find good sound samples and reviews on the net.

The purchase of my Sonor Safari was based on info that I read here on DW. I knew that it was what I was looking for based on my interpretation of what I learned here. I then gave my feedback on the drums after I bought them.

If you ask me which drums you should buy, I will tell you the same thing everyday.
Sticksy, I get your point in general, & I kinda like you in a remote sort of way, but this is where I'm going to disagree with you. Why, when someone asks for your opinion on what drums/whatever to buy, would you consistently advise them to buy what you like? Do you not take their circumstances into account? If their post has indicated that they're after a certain sound, why would you believe that your choice fits their requirements?

You're effectively posting this to say, "don't bother asking my opinion, because I'm so centred on my own gear, that I find it impossible to be objective". To be honest, we kinda know that anyhow, so didn't need that reinforcing with it's own thread.

Have you considered those members who find it close to impossible to try a selection of stuff out? Have you considered members who have no or little experience of drums seeking the advice of those who have more experience? Have you considered those who seek real world experience from members who've played the specific drum/drums of interest? Have you considered those who want to know how a certain drum performs in a specific application? Have you considered those who are interested in other members experiences of customer service, durability, etc, etc? Do you want me to go on?

I get the general thrust of your thread, & yes, without stating the blindingly obvious, it is always preferable to try before you buy, and some questions are benign or just plain silly, but asking for opinions is such a wider church than that.

If you cant be objective, or use your knowledge to the benefit of others asking for your opinion, or those questions annoy you, then butt out of the thread, simple.

I agree 100%
It seems that people seem to think that they are going to start a quick thread and get some magic replies that lead them to percussion gear nirvana!

When they are told to go out and try different things they usually respond with something like this,
"I don't have any place near me where I can try the ________"

That is true sometimes, For example I can't go to my local music store and sample a Sonor Delite kit. I have to travel out of state or simply trust my instinct based on my research into the company and the product.
Agop cymbals are another example.
I was able to determine what Agop cymbals I liked and I made several purchases that I am eternally happy with based on my internet research.
It's not hard to find good sound samples and reviews on the net.

The purchase of my Sonor Safari was based on info that I read here on DW. I knew that it was what I was looking for based on my interpretation of what I learned here. I then gave my feedback on the drums after I bought them.
Hey Bob. Would you agree though that your feedback on the safari kit is still not going to help me that much because, you probably like something totally different than what I like. You just bought them, so you are going to be excited and put a very positive spin on the drums, maybe pushing someone towards your decision instead of what they should get for themselves. I am guilty of it with my drums and cymbals. I am purposely not mentioning what I have for equipment in this thread as to not show any bias, of which I have tons.

You know, you're right. I've been playing all these years and I just discovered this site recently. Don't ask me how this is possible, but I've never really been into the mags or the fancy gear or idol worship. I'm pretty much open to any brand of drums or cymbals. Not with sticks though. I know what I like. But as far as what I've learned in 2 months of perusing this site, I'd say it has given me so many things to more to consider that I've never even thought of. Hearing all these drummer stories about how much they practice and what they practice has made me take a humble look at myself as far as being a drummer and my commitment to it.

Kis, you do the same thing I do. You usually recommend a steambent or stave something for the person. How is that different? I could use my drums for any type of music. So recommending them is not being narrow minded, it is just letting people know what I would get.

I cherish everyone's opinion on here. Nothing more makes my day than to read a good analysis of vintage drums by tamadrm Steve or Harry (and, yes, even the occasional Sticks Mapex rant..). I think this site provides an invaluable and free resource to clueless drummers, like me. I agree that we need to in the end try everything out ourselves in person and make our decision. But I most enjoy the "help my choose a new _______" threads. Fun reading!

It is funny that KIS is making me out to be the only person on this site that does this. It happens every day on here. One guy likes Ludwig, so he recommends Ludwigs. Another guy likes Gretsch, and recommends them all the time. Then you have the DW gang. What do you think they recommend? Works the same with all the different gear.

How DARE you chose a color without inquiring with us first! Do you think we don't care!?

/sarcasm
Exactly!!! :) I am going to be putting picks up of my new kit in a couple of weeks, and I can hardly wait for the replies, or non replies. For some reason I am worried about it. Maybe that is why people ask. They are afraid we won't like it. That should be the last reason we pick a color.

Kis, you do the same thing I do. You usually recommend a steambent or stave something for the person. How is that different? I could use my drums for any type of music. So recommending them is not being narrow minded, it is just letting people know what I would get.
Actually, if you read my posts in context, you'll find that I only recommend such drums to those whom they are appropriate, & much more frequently, I suggest drums & constructions that have nothing to do with my personal preferences. Read my posts in their totality, & you'll find you're wrong. Hell, just a few hours ago I advised someone to choose Mapex!

Anyhow, instead of throwing a few pieces of your rock riser in my direction, why not answer the more substantive points I made in my reply to you. That, I find interesting.

I cherish everyone's opinion on here. Nothing more makes my day than to read a good analysis of vintage drums by tamadrm Steve or Harry (and, yes, even the occasional Sticks Mapex rant..). I think this site provides an invaluable and free resource to clueless drummers, like me. I agree that we need to in the end try everything out ourselves in person and make our decision. But I most enjoy the "help my choose a new _______" threads. Fun reading!
Your not clueless. You like what YOU like. Right. Nobody can decide that for you. This is the best time in drum history to go out and just buy what you like for sound, because everyone is making a good product.

Not at all. Your supposition, not mine, but you are the most transparently obvious example.
I don't want to fight with you KIS. I am more outspoken then most, so I will be seen as one of the better examples. Which Question would you like me to answer. I talk pretty plainly, so I am usually easy to understand.

Sticksy, I get your point in general, & I kinda like you in a remote sort of way, but this is where I'm going to disagree with you. Why, when someone asks for your opinion on what drums/whatever to buy, would you consistently advise them to buy what you like? Do you not take their circumstances into account? If their post has indicated that they're after a certain sound, why would you believe that your choice fits their requirements?

You're effectively posting this to say, "don't bother asking my opinion, because I'm so centred on my own gear, that I find it impossible to be objective". To be honest, we kinda know that anyhow, so didn't need that reinforcing with it's own thread.

Have you considered those members who find it close to impossible to try a selection of stuff out? Have you considered members who have no or little experience of drums seeking the advice of those who have more experience? Have you considered those who seek real world experience from members who've played the specific drum/drums of interest? Have you considered those who want to know how a certain drum performs in a specific application? Have you considered those who are interested in other members experiences of customer service, durability, etc, etc? Do you want me to go on?

I get the general thrust of your thread, & yes, without stating the blindingly obvious, it is always preferable to try before you buy, and some questions are benign or just plain silly, but asking for opinions is such a wider church than that.

If you cant be objective, or use your knowledge to the benefit of others asking for your opinion, or those questions annoy you, then butt out of the thread, simple.
This is so confrontational. You open it up with I kind of like you, and then boom. Why. My drums sound great, look great, are a great price compared to almost every pro kit out there. By recommending my drums I am only helping people get a great product, and save a lot of money in the process. You are speculating a ton of things about me in this post, but you seem to feel that you are aloud to throw rocks, or in your case stones,(a shot at your stone riser) :) but I have to do the catching. Why is that? This was not meant to be a confrontational thread, buy you are trying to turn it into one.

Last edited:
This is so confrontational. You open it up with I kind of like you, and then boom. Why.
I'm not trying to turn this into a confrontational thread, & nor do I view my OP as such. Additionally, I have nothing against you personally, but It does annoy me that anyone would think it's a good idea to discourage members, especially new or less experienced members, from asking for advice, no matter how misguided the question may be. Of course, it's right to point out that members may offer biased advice. It's also right to highlight the fact that trying something for yourself is the best option. Those points, I get, but what about those who are interested in members direct experiences? How does kit x perform in a certain setting, does it hold up to gigging, what's the customer service like? & then there's the value in members suggesting alternatives to the OP's choices.

I like hearing peoples different opinions on gear.

When I started buying (AKA could afford to buy haha!) gear, there was no internet.
Just the guys in the shop. I'm lucky because I knew a bunch of knowledgeable people.
Not too many flubs, mainly heads I haven't liked (luckily).

Before I got my "brand X" kit (Jan '90), I Loooooved Yamaha drums and their hardware system. I still love how the 83-89 style stuff looks (pre-Yess).
They offered a 26 too, but when I played some drums of the model I was gonna buy, I couldn't do it.
The sound of it left me cold. I was bummed. I still don't really like birch drums sitting behind them. Out front, they're great...but that's not where I am, if I'm playing haha!

Then upon suggestion, I looked into "Brand X". This brand was on no one's radar for a long time (even after I got the first drums). I thought about it, and realized that every drum or kit I had heard, or played sounded great to me.
So that's what I bought....and have kept buying because it's what I like, I never have any problems with the stuff, and they have the sizes I want.

OK. Back on track. :)

After 20 years of not playing acoustic drums at all, and only playing electronic, I was basically going out as a newbie, looking for an acoustic kit. Many of the brands and models I knew growing up had changed in some way. I was going to go and order a Tama kit, because back in the 80's, they were the bomb for the music I liked. My last acoustic kit was an Imperialstar kit and that is the company I was staying with. I went out, without anyone else telling me what to get, and picked the kit that sounded the best to me. Better than anything else I had checked out through the years and in the 5 star shop I was at that day. Not a Tama by the way. :) This is the way I want others to pick. This is my point of the thread! Some can't get to places to try things out, I understand that. Those are special cases. I will guarantee that most of the questions come from people that have many stores right around their area. I am driving 10 hours in two weeks to pick up a kit in Virginia. I want to see it in person and make sure it is all good. I know what they sound like, I have already heard them. If I can drive 10 hours to pick up a kit, I am sure many others can drive much shorter distances to try some kits out in person.

Back