Canopus Lightweight Hardware

eliRYO

Does anyone have experience with these stands? I really like their vintage look (not just that they are flat-based, the wing-nuts and joints add to the vibe) and how portable they are but I am wondering how they compare to DW or Gibraltar flat-based hardware.

Never heard of before. The website looks cheap but sincere. From my general consumer experience it looks like a small enough business (especially from the number of replies here) that whoever the owner is would be more than happy to chat on the phone and supply you with a rather personal sales experience. If the pricing is competitive it's probably worth looking further into.

I get you on the "whole look" of the tilter and wing screws for the total vibe of the vintage thing, but I've used the DW flat base stands for over a year now (in a rock situation, so decently hard playing).
No problems at all, and I find them very solid.

I have all straight cymbal stands, & the snare stand (for my tom). I use the 7000 snare stand because it went lower. The hi hat stand was too wobbly for me, but I do know several touring drummers use it.

The 7000 series single brace hat stand is really nice. It doesn't have the vibe of "vintage", but it's still pretty light.

The DW stands have memory locks which made me choose them over Gibraltar.

Gibraltar's stands ARE a quality product and just as portable.

I really like the Brake tilter on the Gibraltar stand too. The cymbal felts are taller (like a Yamaha felt), so they keep the cymbals not to tight, not too loose, and they feel good to play.
With DW's adjustment you can get basically the same thing...

Just some thoughts on the quality and portability.
Good luck!

OK, I just looked into the Canopus stands, and just by looking at the wing nuts that hold the height position, the DW and Gibraltar both are going to do a way better job.

Both the DW and Gibraltar stands height adjustments clamp around the tube to hold it (and it's VERY secure on both brands).

The Canopus stands screw just pushes against the tube. That's gonna leave a mark (at best, eventually) and it's going to end up indenting the tube as you need more pressure to secure it in place over time.
The DW 7000 hi hat stand looks similar to the Canopus on the site, in that it's the same "style", but the DW looks to me as a lot sturdier (I've played it) than the Canpous.

The snare stand seems similar to the DW/Gibraltar with the basket and height clamp.

If it was me, I would go DW or Gibraltar over the Canopus stands for the height adjustment screw issue alone.
They may be fine, and if this is an "at home, set it forget it" thing, get what you like better, but for any gigging, I'd put the money into something that's going to last a long time without any hassle.

Just for "looks" of the stand, the Gibraltar might look "more vintage" because it doesn't have the black "tilter tightener" thing, and the cymbal space adjustment thing.

I'm surprised that people here have not heard of Canopus. Everything they make is super high-end. Not cheap, but super high-end. Amazing drums and hardware.

Canopus has been around for quite a while.Their products are nice and the prices are pretty steep on the drums....not that they couldn't be worth it.

It's all in what you are willing to pay as far as price goes, or, if you want a "name" on your drum, or if it doesn't mean that much, and you just like the sound a particular brand makes.

Virtually ALL drums in a higher price range can be made to sound great (or not haha!).

The list prices on the Canopus cymbal stands (and others) are about what the DW are, without the type of section tightening (grips pulling from the side), memory locks (which for me were a desired thing), and the more adjustable tilter (toothless, and adjustable pressure for the felt).

What the Canpous stands DO offer is a truer "vintage" look and style (for the cymbal stands only).

The snare stand actually looks similar to a DW, with what appears to be a side wingnut tightening style, but the rubber on the basket is not as sturdy.
The basket itself looks very similar though.

The Canopus tom clamp and single tom holder are exactly the same as what DW/PDP offers without the "DW/PDP circles" on them.

Wouldn't be a big stretch to believe ALL of it is made in the same facility anyway....

The thing for ME buying a Canopus cymbal stand or not would be the tightening screws pushing against the tube. Eventually, it's going to dent the tube in...like they all did back in the day. The wing nuts DO look vintage, but they also don't look very "finger friendly".

Back