Some Jams - Originals (and not)

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Old friend and guitarist is in town for the week, so we spent a few days playing laying down some reference tracks and jamming for fun. They're a little rough but will serve well for making new, cleaner tracks from.

A couple of his (psychotic) originals:

"Vampire Dropkick"

"Old Crazy Guy in the Dumpster" (based on a true story...a real tear-jerker...*sniff*)

...and just for fun...a Beatles cover:

Elanor Rigby

I'll have a few more and will post them soon. Thanks!

Vinny,

OK, if I am being honest and I am...I like the playing, but not so fond of the singing...musically I am tracking with ya, just not lyrically. Thanks for sharing good stuff.

JIM

Vinny,

OK, if I am being honest and I am...I like the playing, but not so fond of the singing...musically I am tracking with ya, just not lyrically. Thanks for sharing good stuff.

JIM

Ha! Appreciate the honesty. I wasn't with the songwriting at first, either...but after a while I appreciated it. It's fun and unique. Nothing was more fun than going and hanging out at an open mic and listening to Dusty do an acoustic set. He's start in with a gentle melody and tender chords...and just when everyone started tapping their feet - the song would be about killer unicorns ending the human race...or some other kind of madness.

It's not for everyone...but it always got laughs and snickers. I was always bored with songwriters whose material is upright and dead serious. I like nonsense and irony. I think that's why we get along so well. :)

Anyhow, thanks for checkin' it out!

Your drums sound really awesome. I like how they sit in the mix. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about recording them? Mic setup and whatnot.

-Tyler

Your drums sounds awesome.

Thanks guys - these recordings used my Pearl Masters MCX kit. Clear ambassadors on both sides of the toms, clear PS3 kick batter and smooth white PS3 on the reso. The snare is a 14x6.5 Ludwig Black Beauty w/ a coated amb on top, hazy on the bottom.

I've got a small Behringer mixer running straight into my sound card, and I use four mics. Two SM57s overhead, sitting about 7 ft. in the air, one over the snare and 12" tom, the other sits over my ride and 16" floor tom. I've got one SM57 pointing at a slight angle of the rim of my snare...and a Beta 52 sitting just inside the 4" port of the kick reso.

The room makes a huge difference and it seems that I've built a bass-heavy drum room. The inside walls are bare plywood w/ some foam padding here-and-there, throughout the room.

Thanks for checkin' it out!

First I listened to "Vampire Dropkick"...because thats halarious. Musically its pretty good I think. If you get a good bassist and re-record post it up. I am not a huge fan of the vocals.

Overall pretty good I'd say. Always good to hear your stuff.

First I listened to "Vampire Dropkick"...because thats halarious. Musically its pretty good I think. If you get a good bassist and re-record post it up. I am not a huge fan of the vocals.

Overall pretty good I'd say. Always good to hear your stuff.

Glad you dug the humor! He's really a very funny guy too...he has the same skewed sense of humor in person. He does need to work on the vocals, I agree. He actually sings quite well when he's playing by himself w/ an acoustic, he just has a hard time putting any power behind his voice in an amplified setting and resorts to yelling.

I've got a bassist buddy here in town who's a real good straight-ahead rock guy...he's going to lay down some tracks on top of it as we make a good, solid recording of these tunes.

Thanks for checkin' it out, man!

Back