Most portable drumset

Bad Drummer

Hey guys,

I am starting to move my kit around a bit and it is such a PAIN! I loathe it, but I know it's something I have to get used to. However, I am looking for a new kit and I was wondering what the most portable kit out there is. I play both jazz and rock, so don't be afraid to mention something because it might be too "jazzy". Also, what are some ways you guys move stuff around quickly? How do you make it easier to move everything around?

Thanks a bunch,

Bad Drummer

Hey you might want to check out the Yamaha Hipgig, there designed for easy transport.

There is the Rick Marotta model and the Al Foster model. The Al Foster being larger sizes than the Rick Marotta. I haven't had any hands on experience with these, but i know they are regarded highly and Dave Weckl plays them on his smaller venues.

Hope this helps

R

You could try to get a good cocktail drumkit. You play them standing up and all the peices attach to a standing bass drum. There's also the "gig-box." I forget what it's called and can't find the link but it's a box that you position drums in, and play them through holes the size of the drum heads, really cool stuff.

TAYE GOKIT

30202329_gokit-bs.jpg

PEARL RHYTHM TRAVELER

rtlive.jpg

YAMAHA HIPGIG

HG6T46RM_Enlarged.jpg

GRETSCH CATALINA CLUB JAZZ

CCJ484WP_lg.jpg

And finally mine

MIND_DRUMMER HIPGIG SETUP

front.jpg

left_side.jpg

driver_seat.jpg

A good set of bags make it somewhat easier to move things around. Also a heck of alot safer. When moving my old beginners set around i banged it into the wall like 20 times cause i wasnt paying enough attention i guess. SO now i bought a nice new PDP set and bought some bags with it and now when i move it its alot safer from my unawareness of whats going on around me.

you should allso try manu katche yamha hipgig set. I had the same problem as you do and this kit was my choice. I don` find it to "jazzy", you just have to tune them acording to your needs

Arbiter flats... You dont get more portable drums then these. My dad use them and he gets a 5 pc kit, two cymbals stands,pedals etc. In one box. The sound will never get as good as a deep shell kit, but it works fine.

Attachments

• flats.bmp
    193.8 KB · Views: 39,870
Well, I think mine isn`t as portable as the other kits which were mentioned here but it might be the most versatile in comparison to the others?

I own it, a Basix Short Stack Custom...a honor for this price!

Bild041.jpg

Bild033.jpg

Karl

Last edited:
The only one I've played at a gig is the Taye seen above in mind_drummer's post. Don't get it - way too shallow and quiet - particularly bass drum.

It was fully miked up, but was just too small and high pitched - sounded like a kids set. The hipgigs are better because they're deep enough to be tuneable properly, the taye (particlularly the 16x8 BD) is just too small. Very portable, but isn't upto it sound-wise.

Arbiter flats... You dont get more portable drums then these. My dad use them and he gets a 5 pc kit, two cymbals stands,pedals etc. In one box. The sound will never get as good as a deep shell kit, but it works fine.

One of my friend a drummer, and he is also a paster owns this kit....

These kits are all junk. Check out my hipgig kit in my signature. That is class....

On a serious note though, you don't have to buy one of these hipgig kits which as far as I'm concerned now is a marketing ploy. Other people have said this on DW and I agree. You can make your own hipgig kit from your existing kit. Get a floor tom conversion kit and make that your bass drum. Don't change the hoops. Use the floor tom as it. Use a small tom, and either a 13 or 14 tom for your floor tom. A hi-hat, ride cymbal, crash. And your done. Some gig bags to pack it up...Now you have your hipgig kit and didn't have to spend a cent except for the floor tom conversion kit.

You can put this all back into your main kit in 10 minutes.

Schweet. Just saved $400 - $2000...'eh?

All of these hip gig kits are pretty cool and have nice sizes and looks, but if you don't have the bucks...I recommend making your own with what you've got.

Cheers,
Murph

hi, i'm so lucky, to have both the Rick Marotta (for gigs and performance) and the Manu Katche kit (for practise) but i did do a complete test of all three of the Hipgig's in the danish musicians union magazine... and its realy great kits... i especially love the Rick Marotta kit- that is to me, the essence of compact drums... when all packed up, you've got 2 bags, with drums and hardware, your cymbal bag, and your stick bag... THATS A WHOLE KIT! and thei are great sounding aswell... the Manu katche do not offer the pack up feature like the RM kit, but is also great sounding...

so, buy a hipgig! and if you got the mone... go with the Rick Marotta kit.. you won't regret it!

best regards
Emil
Denmark

Back