DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Default Im torn!! new kit

I own a few kits at the moment, but today I am selling one of my custom boutique maple kits. I love the kit, I just like change.

The kit I am getting rid of is a thin ply maple 22x13, 12x8, 16x14, and 14x8 snare.

I am torn between the pearl Session Studio Select, and the new Tama Starclassic walnut birch.

I have always been a pearl guy at heart, but have never owned a Tama, but I am in love with the size options they have, the sound videos I have seen, and some of the colors.

With the pearl, I will be getting more drums for almost the same price. (actually a hair cheaper).

New kit shopping is fun, but man ive never been this torn.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Im torn!! new kit

Try to hear them in person if you can. There are so many elements in the signal chain between the person playing the drums online and your ears.

Buy the one that speaks to you most.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:02 PM

I have a Pearl Kit, Tama kit and a Gretsch kit. I also own many snares by Tama and Pearl over the years. My favorite drum that I've owned is a Pearl Master custom maple snare and its still my primary snare today. With all of that said I massively prefer Tama drums and hardware over any brand with the exception of a very high end custom manufacturers. Their fit, finish, quality and tone is very difficult to beat at their price point. Their product feels like it should cost double what you pay for it and I cant say that about any other drum manufacturer. My starclassic kit is my go-to for any major gig Im playing and the Gretsch is my go to for smaller club/lower volume.

I would personally go with Tama all day, everyday unless you are spending north of 5k.....I'm not a Tama fan boy, however. There are half a dozen manufacturers/kits I would prefer if I was going to drop 6-10k. C&C drum company would be my first choice...

Last edited by Tbonez; 03-25-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
I am torn between the pearl Session Studio Select, and the new Tama Starclassic walnut birch....
No help to be had here - sorry 'bout that.
I like both of those and could probably be happy with either one.
I've only tried the Sessions though.
The Tama's haven't shown up around here yet, so it's just from what I've read and heard online.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:51 AM

Well the Tama has die cast hoops, more robust bass drum Spurs, bass drum tom mount where the mount doesn’t actually go through the drum itself (why don’t other companies follow this), better and cooler finishes and more configurations. Pearl are nice but in this case I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Starclassic Birch/Walnuts.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

You gotta try em both to know what you would prefer.

I'm partial to Pearl sound, but everybody has a different preference in their head for what they feel would be their groovy tones, and that's why opinions can't help too much.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
You gotta try em both to know what you would prefer.

I'm partial to Pearl sound, but everybody has a different preference in their head for what they feel would be their groovy tones, and that's why opinions can't help too much.
I agree. Years ago I was deciding between Pearl Masters and Tama Starclassic. I didn't know which to choose until I played them both. I much preferred the sound of one over the other.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

I would definitely go with the new Tama Birch/Walnut over the Pearl. My local shop has a kit in stock and it really sounds impressive. The walnut inner plies really enhance the bottom end .
Old 03-27-2019, 03:40 AM
Platinum Member

Buy the better looking kit.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:28 AM

Find every demo of those 2 kits on Youtube, and close your eyes. Evaluate the SOUND without being swayed by your eyes. Only then you will have your answer.

That's how I chose my kit recently. Sound>everything else.

I like both the Session Studio Select and the Walnut/Birch. You can't go wrong with either.

This was just posted today if you haven't seen it already:
Drummer's Review - Pearl Session Studio Select
Old 03-27-2019, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

I'm absolutely amazed by the sound of my B/B Performer kit by Tama. The quality, finish and sound are absolutely fantastic. I would not hesitate (if I didn't already own the B/B) to get a B/W.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I'm absolutely amazed by the sound of my B/B Performer kit by Tama. The quality, finish and sound are absolutely fantastic. I would not hesitate (if I didn't already own the B/B) to get a B/W.
I personally think the Starclassic B/B is a step above the B/W...not because the Walnut/Birch is bad, but because the Birch/Bubinga sounds so amazing.

Nothing else sounds like it! They sound so punchy and deep, without the extra ring and overtones.

If I didn't go with the Gretsch Renown, it might've been the Tama B/B.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:01 PM

Since I dont really have access to one of the Tama Starclassic kits, I opted for the Pearl Session Studio select.

The thing I most liked about the Tama is the 22x14 bass, but their shell packs start out at 1400 for the 22, 12 , and 16.

I was able to get my pearls in a color I like, no wait, 22,10,12,14,16 and matching snare, for less than I would have given for the Tama. Thats a lot more drums for the money.

Only thing is, 22x16 bass instead. Ill live!

Im happy with my decision and it feels good to add another new kit to the collection.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:41 AM
Gold Member

Just what James said: buy the prettiest one.

But, if you just must have an answer: Tama Starclassic.

GeeDeeEmm