DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Are there simple things you struggle with even though you've been playing a while?

I can play doubles if it comes a 16th note before the downbeat but I really struggle to be consistent when the first note is actually on the downbeat (like the main beat of "I want you back" by Jackson 5 or "Fake Happy" by Paramore). Gets really frustrating.

Also complicated bass drum patterns while keeping time with my left foot. I'm supposed to shift my weight to my left foot, but then I won't get loud "chick" sound! What am I supposed to do?

Also I can't play any of those gospel chops everyone seems to be playing nowadays, I guess I'm just not talented enough.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Are there simple things you struggle with even though you've been playing a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
What is a closed double stroke roll to you?
I was taught that:

Open = Two taps on each hand (using one wrist motion plus finger control to get the two taps).

Closed = One tap and one rebound on each hand (using wrist motion and rebound.

For me, the closed roll works if I use big parade sticks on a practice pad, because then I have a ton of rebound to work with. I've never been able to play them using 5B's or 7A's on a snare drum. At lower speeds they sound uneven, at quicker speeds they turn into buzz rolls.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Frigursson View Post
I can play doubles if it comes a 16th note before the downbeat...
You might be talking about ruffs or drags, which aren't quite the same thing. I can play ruffs or drags.

I thought I had my 5-stroke roll up to speed, but when I listened to recordings I realized I was really playing it more like a ruff or drag, with no definite time value, and it was quite messy. I can't really play a 5-stroke roll any more quickly than I can play a long roll - and that isn't very quickly.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMe View Post
You might be talking about ruffs or drags, which aren't quite the same thing. I can play ruffs or drags.

I thought I had my 5-stroke roll up to speed, but when I listened to recordings I realized I was really playing it more like a ruff or drag, with no definite time value, and it was quite messy. I can't really play a 5-stroke roll any more quickly than I can play a long roll - and that isn't very quickly.
Define a kick drum double for me, I dont know what is what anymore.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM

I love voice displacement/substitution with rudiments around the kit.

For some reason...I can play RLRL (hands) RLRL (feet) as a sixteenth note pattern or grouping.

But I just CANNOT play RL (hands) RL (feet) as sixteenth note patterns. They just sound awful....no matter how slow I go with the metronome.

Plus, I can NEVER get my 16" Remo Acousticon floor tom to sound any good.......that thing is a pig.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can play doubles if it comes a 16th note before the downbeat but I really struggle to be consistent when the first note is actually on the downbeat (like the main beat of "I want you back" by Jackson 5 or "Fake Happy" by Paramore). Gets really frustrating.

Also complicated bass drum patterns while keeping time with my left foot. I'm supposed to shift my weight to my left foot, but then I won't get loud "chick" sound! What am I supposed to do?
Get the Time Functioning Patterns book man! When the skill isn't coming together, the way you practice has to change...

Quote:
Also I can't play any of those gospel chops everyone seems to be playing nowadays, I guess I'm just not talented enough.
Peaceanddrums.com has some very good video lessons. That dude is no joke -- he's a teacher at Berkley. And super nice, too.

Neither of these skills are about talent -- it's a practice method thing.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
Get the Time Functioning Patterns book man!
Will definitely check it out
Old 03-20-2019, 09:04 PM

One thing I struggle with are stops and starts on the offbeat. I can stop on a beat (eg. 1 or 3) and start again as required, but if I have to stop on an offbeat (eg. 2&), I sometimes lose the time, especially if I have to start again on an offbeat (eg. 4&) - it's even worse if I try to do a fill after the stop leading into the next start.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
When the skill isn't coming together, the way you practice has to change....
Probably the most intelligent thing I've ever read on a forum. Very true..........