DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Most Under-rated Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X

Guys like: Will Champion from Coldplay, Larry Mullin Jr. from U2, Fab Morretti of The Strokes, and Rob Bourdin (sp?) from Linkin Park
Rob Bourdin deserves to be unrecognized. I think Sean Kinney is way underrated.

- Marc
Old 03-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Guinness

Jeremy Taggart.

This guy is a sensational drummer. Anybody who has listened to his earlier stuff should certainly agree. Naveed and Happiness is not a Fish That You Can Catch are just two of Our Lady Peace's albums that showcase some of the best of this guys abilities. Jeremy applies a deep understanding of Jazz principles to his drumming. I think it's awesome. Just check it out and tell me you don't agree that he is greatly underestimated.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Jeff Burrows of Tea Party (RIP, One of the greatest canadian bands ever) is pretty damn under-rated. A great rock drummer.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 PM

jerome dillon (former drummer of nine inch nails) is a severly underated drummer. the way he has transformed nin's heavy electric sound into live sets is amazing, and i think he would be a great addition to this amazing website!!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi guys, back on the kit after many years away.

Don't want to be a "neg-head" BUT, are you sure about these Larry Mullin props?

Personally, when ever I see U2 I can't help thinking that there goes one lucky guy! (apart from having to stand in deserts alot and not smiling). "Lumpy" is the word that springs to mind.

Anyway, what do I know. That Primus drummer sits nicely in the back but sounds vibrant, and, err, Steve Jansen of Japan (inspirational) and say, maybe Budgie from Siouxsie and the Banshees (too cool) to name a few of the top of my head . . .
Old 03-21-2006, 01:30 PM

Oh yeah, and that guy out of BATTLES, new form creativity that is PART of the overall sound NOT sticking out
Old 04-24-2006, 09:25 PM

randy cooke......canada's best kept drumming secret.....

god, i can't even think of all the artists he's played with.....but here's the ones off of the top of my head....kim mitchell....rik emmett....lee aaron....beveley mahood....long john baldry....hilary duff.....kelly clarkson....the pointer sisters....figgy duff......andy curran.....honeymoon suite......

he's got a resume as long as your arm and mine put together
Old 04-24-2006, 11:22 PM

probably someone like travis barker or joey jordison....? but seriously, larry mullen may not play the most complex riffs but hes no meg white, listen closley to some of his stuff as he started of pipe drumming so its a heavy influence in his playing. also rob bourdon - linkin park is a bit of the same, just keeps it simple, but then again he wouldnt be with that big of band if he was crap.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:55 AM

Bob Burns, eloqunt, musical, stylisc, and rocks! (Sweet Home Alabama)

Last edited by mek55; 04-25-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chris
Larry Mullen's a competent drummer, but really, anyone can cover his stuff. The guy with Coldplay gets better with each album and the guy with Linkin Park is good too. But they're all well known. For a seriously underrated drummer here's someone you've probably never heard of: Gary Mallaber. Check out his discography! Some classic stuff there.
gary mallabar....good call......he played some the most memorable drum parts ever!!

listen to " swingtown" or " take the money and run"......or that big broken crash cymbal in " rock'n' me" by the steve miller band.......

i had totally forgotten about him....tasty player..........
Old 04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: Underrated Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDrum
Bob Bemberg from Supertramp. ...

Nigel Olsson from Elton John's early days.

J P Lapp
Yeah, you never really think of guys like that! What about the guy from Billy Joel's early stuff (is it Liberty DeVito?). Didn't the Supertramp drummer sing as well?

And what about both of Tom Petty's drummers (or did I already mention them). Steve Ferrone is the poster-drummer for underrated drummers.

As for Larry Mullen Jr. Does he play on the version of "One" by Mary J. Blige? I think that is a really good drum part, but I dont' know if it is him or Mary J.s session drummer.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursticks
nick mason and mick fleetwood, both great drummers but waay too under-rated IMO
i was just thinkin about mick fleetwood being not necessarily underrated, but maybe just not heard of really, he is a tremendous drummer, plays exactly what the song needs, just no one maybe listens to enough mac? i dunno, i love them though. nick masoin must be underrated though...who does he drum for?
tj
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Nick Mason = Pink Floyd. Great guy, good, good drummer. Restrained enough on his big kit, perfect for the Floyd.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Nick Mason = Pink Floyd. Great guy, good, good drummer. Restrained enough on his big kit, perfect for the Floyd.
I remember seeing him in an ad, think he'd changed to DW, it was the biggest kit i'd ever seen, yet i'm struggling to recall ever hearing him play a chop. He's certainly never been guilty of overplaying. I agree that, as a member of possibly the biggest band of all time, he's grossly 'under-recognised'. Grew up in Dell Quay, my neck of the woods, cheers to that.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:33 PM

I would say Chad Kent is the most underrated drummer I know....well I guess I can't say I've heard anything bad about him, just that noone has really heard of him to say anything other than fans of Atomship.

I really like Chimaira's 2 drummers, especially the one off of their self titled album. Heard good things about him once or twice on this forum, and thats about the end of what I've heard of him.

I guess my guys arent underrated, just not talked about more or less.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icystyck
I always thought Manu Katche was a pretty under-rated drummer, he has a great style and never got the credit he deserves for his work with sting.
Nice choice...He sounded really nice on that "Burnin for Buddy" CD...

Sonny Emory - anyone who has gone to PIT in Hollywood can tell you how good he is....
He can groove - has tremendous chops and alot of flash and stick-twirlin...Unfortunately he mostly a studio muscian so hes kinda a secret to most....
Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher
I remember seeing him in an ad, think he'd changed to DW, it was the biggest kit i'd ever seen, yet i'm struggling to recall ever hearing him play a chop. He's certainly never been guilty of overplaying. I agree that, as a member of possibly the biggest band of all time, he's grossly 'under-recognised'. Grew up in Dell Quay, my neck of the woods, cheers to that.
I have almost the entire Pink Floyd catalogue. No, he never once plays what I regard as a 'chop'. He uses the whole kit, definately, but never ad nauseam or in extremis. He's a good guy too, signed his book to me personally and has a good head on his shoulders. Musical, tasteful and everything I'd ever aspire to be in a drummer. Simple parts, played well.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:25 AM

Pete Thomas from Elvis Costello's band the Attractions....

Listen to the song "B Movie" from the album Get Happy to get a glimpse into what this guy is capable of........

Actually the whole band that Costello had back in the day just rocked.............
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 AM

What about Jon Fishman of Phish? I know there's a stigma of negativity around endlessly touring jam bands like Moe, the Dead and Phish, but for some of us, it's not just the "scene" that draws us in...

(it's the music)

Check him out on tracks like "Guyute", "David Bowie" or "Reba". Ridiculous time changes, subtle fills, light, but articulate use of a very diverse kit. Oh yeah, some people love him on "YEM" too. In the pocket, check our his funky grooves on tracks like "Ghost", "Momadance" and "Sand". What? He can do superb bluegrass, reggae, and jazz too? You bet.

Aside from Phish, he sometimes also tours and records with the Jazz Mandolin project.

J
Old 05-02-2006, 10:33 AM
LiveGoat

George Hurley of Minutemen and Firehose.

---LG
Old 05-02-2006, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
As for Tori, well, I guess I'm not the right demographic, because I don't get anything she's singing. Like you said, she's got a good voice, but her songs might as well be in Swedish, because I have no clue what's going on! It reminds me of Jewel, but without the radio-friendly edge to it.
I can tell it's not Swedish... hehehehehe I would understand the lyrics a bit better, though I'm not Swedish either!
But I must say that I like her music pretty much. Weird things going on in her songs. And of course... Chamberlain is just great! He grooves, and his live sound is just too much!!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 AM

I'm kind of partial to Adam Topol of Jack Johnson's band. He plays a lot of similar stuff but always manages to spice it up just a bit to make it interesting. I also love his sounds; dark and warm and pleasant to listen to. Oh, and Will Champion completely. If Dave Grohl says you're a great drummer- well, then you've got something, haven't you?!

cheers.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Well my last "most under-rated drummer" (Sean Rickman) is now up on the DW site...Let's try and go 2 for 2...

Pete Drummond is INSANE! I've recently been checking out his stuff, and good god can he play...

Here are some cool examples from his site...petedrummond.com

http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Groove.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo1.mp3
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_Solo2.mp3

this other example is a totally different style from the first...It's like Mike Portnoy on steroids...
http://www.petedrummond.com/sounds/SOUND_On.mp3

What's up with Australia? There must be something in the water down there because they sure do spawn some amazing drummers...
Old 06-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeydee
Mike Portnoy is often mentioned on those "MOST OVERRATED" topics. He has a fame coming from DT, for his "easily understandable, mimicable progressive grooves and fills" among young drummers.
MP's forum has always been the hottest among drummers' personal website, why is he underrated?

For phil selway, I really have something to say.
I used to be a fanatic for radiohead. But i found that phil is just lucky to get his bread and butter for playing for Radiohead. His skills really does not match his position:
Reasons:
1.Listen to his songs just like "creep" or something, he plays the hihat sooo "stiff" that even sounds like a drum program, rather than a real human drummer playing... obviously that's what a studio newbie doing when being nervous and afraid to make mistakes.
2. on one of their 2 disk live album, i already forgot name. before a song, he plays a stick click 1-2-3-4 to set a tempo. Very easy to tell he started too fast and just slowed down at 3-4. Poor feel for tempo.
3.same albume, the live version "just" ..... holly sh!t that was a mess... poor control
4. have u ever listen to their studio version "just"? pretty cool song, i love it.
however, phil once in an interview said "just" was a song that brings him to the "top" in recording.... compared to other songs, yes, "just" is a bit more complicated. but everyone believes for ANY studio/session drummers that can be a true piece of cake. But in this track u can also feel that phil has less confident to play it with more "moving dynamics". Just another programmed machine, very nervous to "catch up" the song not to screw it up.

Why phil stays unnoticed? Becos he know as a drummer of his level, that he is already lucky enough to tour on a world level, sell millions of records.

Have you ever thought it is perhapse any kind of "own style"?
But his unmoveable face with the closed eyes during the whole song (whatever he plays)... well he is the robot... but well closed and very sensible to what he actually does.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Lester Estelle is a good drummer.(He's from the band Pillar)
Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvinBaRkerDennis13
i was just thinkin about mick fleetwood being not necessarily underrated, but maybe just not heard of really, he is a tremendous drummer, plays exactly what the song needs, just no one maybe listens to enough mac? i dunno, i love them though. nick masoin must be underrated though...who does he drum for?
tj
I Looooooove mick fleetwood!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Jacek Olter. Great Polish drummer. He had many interesting musical ideas, and pretty sweet groove. Died tragically, but left some great recordings of his rhythms, which were used to resurrect him last year on "OLTER" cd/dvd.

I would recommend it to you, although it's maybe not the type of music which suits everyone's taste (if there ever was one:)).
Old 07-08-2006, 05:50 PM

the drummer from chevelle is highly under-rated check out his stuff on their first album it was amazing
Old 07-09-2006, 09:00 AM

i forgot his name but the drummer for audioslave
Old 07-09-2006, 10:13 AM

Brad Wilk is the drummer for Audioslave (and Rage Against the Machine).
He is great although I personally like his style in Rage better.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoon
the drummer from chevelle is highly under-rated check out his stuff on their first album it was amazing

i agree! Also the drummer form Living Sacrifice, very creative.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46and2
Martin Lopez of Opeth for sure. He is phenominal and not many people are aware of the skills that he hones.

Yes, He is an amazing drummer... one of my favourites as well actually...
Anyone who is not afraid of a bit of growling should listens to the drumming on: Still Life (album)

(He's left Opeth now though)
Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Most underrated drummer

My vote is for Phil Rudd. He's not for people with high foreheads, but he does solid work that meets the demands of the music and he has no artistic pretense whatsoever.

Next would be Milford Graves - maybe he's more overlooked than underrated.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Most underrated drummer

I'm sure the topic of "underrated/overlooked" has come up before but it's sometimes nice to revive an old topic and get some fresh perspectives. The mention of Harold Jones got my attention. I was fortunate to see Harold play with the Count on several occasions and he was terrific. He had an interesting habit of kind of snapping his head to one side when he hit a big accent that looked really cool. I think I'll also add one of my drum heros Roy McCurdy who played with Cannonball Adderly after the quintessential Louis Hayes.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:29 PM

heres a couple

Chriss Pennie - the dillinger escape plan
J.P - Clutch
Dan Ford - Sikth
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM

Even if these guys are famous and renowned, they seem to be acknowledged by the drumming community less than they should OR for the wrong reasons.

Dannie Richmond- His playing was always exhilerating... incredible versaitily, very uncommon, specially at the time he did most of his sessions... he's still around and nobody talks about him that much... guys with FAR LESS contributions are more recognized than him.

Billy Higgins-As a drummer, composer and band leader his work was always tasteful and top notch technically... he did was involved in so much groundbreaking music in jazz finest hours... yet his passing went almost unnoticed.

Chad Wackerman-ask anyone about guys on the chair with Zappa and immediately Terry and Vinny come up... yet it is Wackerman who held the post the longest... somehow he's become typecasted as a"zappa drummer"... man, he did that so many years ago, and there is this young guy with amazing talent that has continued to grow, and he is somehow noticed just as a clinician and endorser of products with the "Frank Zappa" tag next to him... he is amazing, he should be everywhere.

Others I have always felt have not been as recognized as they should:

Levon Helm
Chester Thompson
Old 08-17-2006, 04:31 PM

I second some of the guys previously listed

Joey Kramer - Tasty, Groovy, Great Chops to when he lets loose

Levon Helm - A lot of soul in his playing. Very "Deep" Drumming

Steve Jordan - So funky and loose.

Art Taylor - RIP. Great jazz drummer. Listen to his playing on the 'Giant Steps' record.

Robbie McIntosh - RIP AWB first drummer. Check out his playing on You Tube videos. I was impressed how light and funky his playing was.

Chester Thompson - Although he is mostly know for his work with Phil Collins and Genesis, please check out his playing on Zappa's 'One Size Fits All' record. He is awesome!
Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I second the Joey Kramer vote. Although its possible that I just missed all his attention seeing as I was born in 1989.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:11 AM

actually its a bit oxymoronic .... though many names of drummers "who i like but you don't" are coming to my mind .. but the fact that I know about them staying in their opposite corner of the world actually makes them sort of something more favorable than categorising them "most underrated" ............

I would actually talk about my drum teacher of being underrated ... he is amazing but he is not even talked about outside my city.

btw .. whats all the Ringo bashing all about ?? .... am sure there were some reasons more than "brotherhood" to keep him in the band .... am guessing John Lennon and Paul had better credibility and musical sense then some so called posters in this forum to make a judgement about the time keeper of a professional and monetarily rich (read money) band ....
Old 08-18-2006, 12:43 AM

Just about all the Studio Drummers in the world are underated...and my hats off to them for their humble success....not many realizes all the hard work, schooling & hours they put in to get were they are to become successful studio players. The most difficult job a drummer can have.

Every session requires them to feel differant styles & grooves & read charts off the cuff... chart reading alone is an art form that only a small dedicated percentage of drummers can & will persue to ace the course because of its difficulty, then not to mention your recording a record with musicians you only met an hour ago...

Studio time is very expensive so you better really know your stuff...For example, drummers such as Harvey Mason have recorded on as many as over 200+ records to name one of the best studio drummers in the world... he has been on covers of major Drum Mags ect..and is recognized... but I still think he among all the other studio musicians are without a doubt the most underated drummers in the world...

You all have a Great day,,,,Lee

That talent