DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Most Under-rated Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangus
John Densmore IMO

i need more characters
Matt replies: Man I love Densmore's work and distinctive sound. John Aldridge once met him at LAX and said he was a real friendly guy.
the first Doors album is classic, largely due to John Densmore's playing, IMO. Matt
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
DrumWise

I think Josh Freese is really under rated. He is one of the best session players to have ever walked the earth - and I have met him!! lol.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 PM

Brad Wilk from Audioslave and RATM. I think his work on RATM's "Evil Empire" and AS's new "Out of Exile" are really impressive. He's not big on fills and I wonder if that's the reason he's hardly recognized as a top notch player.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Elemental Nausea

I really think if you are a good drummer it will shine through even in bands with relatively simple arrangements...on the cd you usually have to play very straight but live you can show your talent better, of course. And anyway, if somebody is really such a great drummer he or she will surely have a side project, thats more demanding apart from their famous band for example

but I think that aquiles priester, drummer for angra is really underrated, I have seen him live and he is so amazing, his solo was unique too, however, noone seems to know him here or care about him
Old 08-11-2005, 12:08 AM

AARON SOLOWONIUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 08-11-2005, 02:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta
AARON SOLOWONIUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
YES MAN! THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Wow, at least im the only person who thinks this!
Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter696
forgot about phil selway, i think that guy is fantastic, he just never gets noticed, some of the beats he plays are great like in creep and climbing up the walls, they may be really simple but they're what you remember the songs for...

I also think mike portnoy is underrated as not many people actually know who he is (i also know that there is a thread dedicated to him) but thats just my opinion...
Mike Portnoy is often mentioned on those "MOST OVERRATED" topics. He has a fame coming from DT, for his "easily understandable, mimicable progressive grooves and fills" among young drummers.
MP's forum has always been the hottest among drummers' personal website, why is he underrated?

For phil selway, I really have something to say.
I used to be a fanatic for radiohead. But i found that phil is just lucky to get his bread and butter for playing for Radiohead. His skills really does not match his position:
Reasons:
1.Listen to his songs just like "creep" or something, he plays the hihat sooo "stiff" that even sounds like a drum program, rather than a real human drummer playing... obviously that's what a studio newbie doing when being nervous and afraid to make mistakes.
2. on one of their 2 disk live album, i already forgot name. before a song, he plays a stick click 1-2-3-4 to set a tempo. Very easy to tell he started too fast and just slowed down at 3-4. Poor feel for tempo.
3.same albume, the live version "just" ..... holly sh!t that was a mess... poor control
4. have u ever listen to their studio version "just"? pretty cool song, i love it.
however, phil once in an interview said "just" was a song that brings him to the "top" in recording.... compared to other songs, yes, "just" is a bit more complicated. but everyone believes for ANY studio/session drummers that can be a true piece of cake. But in this track u can also feel that phil has less confident to play it with more "moving dynamics". Just another programmed machine, very nervous to "catch up" the song not to screw it up.

Why phil stays unnoticed? Becos he know as a drummer of his level, that he is already lucky enough to tour on a world level, sell millions of records.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
YES MAN! THAT'S WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Wow, at least im the only person who thinks this!
WERE BOTH SOLOWONIUK FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 08-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
WERE BOTH SOLOWONIUK FANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
HELL YEAH! Have you seen Billy Talent Live before??
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Pioneer Member

i'd have to say JEFF SIPE is one guy who needs more attention! he's frikkin' awesome! i'm quite surprised he doesn't have a page here.

and btw, i still think phil selway is damn good.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 AM
Pioneer Member

The drummer of Oasis. I think their drummer is Zach Starkey (Ringo's son), but I'm not sure. Either way he keeps an awesome beat and has a great sound.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Pioneer Member

the drummer of oasis is very good indeed and deserves alot more credit. Another great drummer out there who has not recieved much attention is Steve Gillis from FILTER. I recommend you all check out some of their stuff, It's really awesome.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 PM
lud2002

Mike Derosier, formerly of Heart, Orion the Hunter, and Alias, now playing for Clever Bastards. Very solid playing, creative, and Bonham-like.

Don Brewer of Grand Funk Railroad. I love to listen to his triplets.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Senior Administrator

i've said it before and i'll say it again

Robbie Gonzales people.

nobody here knows him but he played with AL DI MEOLA on his 'splendido hotel' album. he and steve gadd shared the work but i think in this album he played better than Gdd. if you think you know progressive jazz and you haven't heard this album then you have missed a serious chunk. two songs in particular ...

BLEW ME AWAY
1) ALIEN CHASE ON AN ARABIAN DESERT
insanely fast and full of feeling and so tight you couldn't get a razor blade between the parts.
2) DINNER MUSIC OF THE GODS
also very thematic and tight.

i find it hard to believe that in all the time i've been on drummersworld that i have yet to meet another person that has even heard this album. it belongs up there in the top twenty drumming albums of all time. come on folks. track it down and give it a listen. you will not be disappointed.

j
Old 08-12-2005, 07:27 PM

I think that Sam Fogarino of Interpol adds a lot to their sound, although I would admit that a few bands are trying the same kind of stuff, namely the killers, etc. But I personally prefer Interpol's sound. For drums I cite songs like Slow Hands and Obstacle 1 for the neat hi hat stuff and generally creative orchestration.
We escape
Old 08-12-2005, 11:58 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
The drummer of Oasis. I think their drummer is Zach Starkey (Ringo's son), but I'm not sure. Either way he keeps an awesome beat and has a great sound.
Unless they've changed since Oasis annoyed me so much I started completely ignoring them, it used to be Alan White. No, not that Alan White. The other Alan White. The one who plays for Oasis...
Old 08-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Lenny White is a great drummer and you hardly ever hear of him. His work with Return to Forever is some of the defining work along with Cobham, Weckl, and Gadd. He's a very good player and he's got a great range.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:34 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON

Robbie Gonzales people.

i find it hard to believe that in all the time i've been on drummersworld that i have yet to meet another person that has even heard this album. it belongs up there in the top twenty drumming albums of all time. come on folks. track it down and give it a listen. you will not be disappointed.

j

Links, Nutha! Links!

Last edited by Dill X; 08-13-2005 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM

that chick from hilary duff I hate hilarys music but the drummer is good...
Old 08-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

Robbie Gonzales people.

j

Links, Nutha! Links!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

or from uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...949910-5202020

or for mp3 (i think)

http://songs.allofmp3.com/r2/Al_Di_M...mcatalog.shtml

or just google it yourself.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Oh he played with that guitarist? I have some of his records on vinyl.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Oh he played with that guitarist? I have some of his records on vinyl.
have you listened to those two songs i mentioned Dill? what do you think of his drumming?

j
Old 08-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
have you listened to those two songs i mentioned Dill? what do you think of his drumming?

j
I listen to those clips from Amazon.com and in all of them there isn't really that much drumming. When there is though, he has a pretty cool sound that fits into the music well.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:01 AM

Jerry Gaskill (King's X)
Old 08-14-2005, 06:07 AM

I'm not a killers fan but Ronnie the drummer from The Killers is good and under-rated
Old 08-15-2005, 12:58 AM

Slim Jim Phantom from Stray Cats
Old 08-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Shannon Larkin Hes a good drummer hes got some simple yet fun to play beats
Old 08-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill X
I listen to those clips from Amazon.com and in all of them there isn't really that much drumming. When there is though, he has a pretty cool sound that fits into the music well.
You can get a longer sample on iTunes on DiMeola's "Anthology" album.

Nutha, I own that album, yet never knew that guy was the drummer. I just thought it was Steve Gadd.

I saw Al DiMeola, with Chick Corea's Elektric band in 1990 in Germany. Since Weckl was on second, I don't even know or remember who DiMeola's drummer was (maybe it was this guy you mentioned?).

I like Kiss My Axe too, but don't know who the drummer is. I have tons of cd's but none of the booklets for them anymore (lost most of them.)
Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Administrator

stu
that arabian rudiment he does between ride and snare is so cool. he uses it a lot but with such excellent groove. the end of the alien chase song is very neat. cymbal work is exceptional.
j
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM

Matt replies: It might have been Lenny White. He and AL were with Chick when I was on the crew in the summer of 1975. It seems to me Lenny toured with AL later. The bass player on the tiour was Stanley Clark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
You can get a longer sample on iTunes on DiMeola's "Anthology" album.

Nutha, I own that album, yet never knew that guy was the drummer. I just thought it was Steve Gadd.

I saw Al DiMeola, with Chick Corea's Elektric band in 1990 in Germany. Since Weckl was on second, I don't even know or remember who DiMeola's drummer was (maybe it was this guy you mentioned?).

I like Kiss My Axe too, but don't know who the drummer is. I have tons of cd's but none of the booklets for them anymore (lost most of them.)
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 AM

sorry if i double post a couple of drummers here:

the dude from the killers , Ronnie Vannucci , has some phat beats.

Jose Pasillas from Incubus is a class drummer, totally self taught - I dig his styles.

Carter Beauford.....seems to be well known by a few people in here, but he has got a beautiful approach to playing a kit.........i am totally envious!

Domonic from Muse - increadible band, and a very tight drummer.

and about a trillion more drummers out there who will never get the cred they deserve.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not a killers fan but Ronnie the drummer from The Killers is good and under-rated

oh crap......told you i would double post a name.

{:D
Old 08-19-2005, 11:08 AM
Pioneer Member

I guess all those drummers listed here are not really being under-rated cause you know them ... bros ...but just that- maybe not as popular as others ... and that's the real world ... isn't it?

PS: pls don't shoot me ...just my 2cent ...kekekeke
Old 08-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudimentalDrummer
I guess all those drummers listed here are not really being under-rated cause you know them ... bros ...but just that- maybe not as popular as others ... and that's the real world ... isn't it?

PS: pls don't shoot me ...just my 2cent ...kekekeke
That's the whole point of the thread; discussion of drummers that are really good, but probably aren't as popular as they should be.

I personally know what is really good drumming right off the bat, but I usually don't know who it is, because good music tends to focus more on musicality and not clown like personalities.

By the way, I'd like to add Mr. Abts to the list from Gov't Mule. I was playing along today, and man is that guy rock solid. He's not super fancy, but he plays just the right groove and has a killer sound from those Slingerlands.

Stu
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 PM

i think Phil Rudd fits this thread perfect. He is in two words Simple Perfection. Everything he does fits AC/DC perfect. He never does anything too fancy. He just does what the song asks for.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Administrator

i personally have never under-rated Mr. 'i-break-snare-drums' Phillip Rudd.

plus he likes paiste!
Old 08-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Stu_Strib

Mark Trojanowsi from Sister Hazel.

I love to see guys with traditional music chops that can break into mainstream. This guy is the anti-rock star, but man can he play. I'm glad he can keep it all in perspective and play good music for those of us who appreciate good music, over pop-crap sell-out doo doo.

I think even his band realizes they have a 'good thing' back on drums. In their dvd they seem to think that Mark is a tad over-qualified for his current gig. I for one am glad they have him.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Pioneer Member

one guy that seems to get missed in all this talk of underrated drummers or great groove players is one of my personal favorites; al jackson jr. this guy has a pocket to end all pockets. check out some of his credits : booker t , sam and dave ,otis redding ,al green ,aretha franklin,wilson pickett ,issac hayes(chief),albert king,eric clapton just to name a small few .An incredible groove monster with more feel than humanly possible.Just listen to "let's stay together " by al green . ....unreal.....wayne
Old 08-21-2005, 04:38 AM

Scott Rockenfield of Queensryche has always been my under-rated drummer. Plays alot like Peart and is really fun to watch. Jerry Gaskill of King's X also. Groovemiester. Even though he has the wierdest style I've ever seen.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:01 AM

I think Toss Panos is a freak that I never hear mentioned. He's played with Keneally and Vai. I have a cd he did with a group called the Fire Merchants. He does this thing with the China and the snare, still can't figure the dam thing out.

Michael Bland. He played with Prince and the NPG from 1990-1997~. He is dam good.

Phillip Fisher formerly of Fishbone and now with Justin Timberlake also comes to mind.