DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Most Under-rated Drummers

I know that most of us on here love to talk about those amazing and technical drumming masters, but what about those drummers who rarely get noticed. I'm talking about the drummers that have a solid back beat with a few minor fills throughout the whole song. These drummers are all about keeping the solid time and accenting the perfect parts of the song. When you listen to this drummers you can't help to tap along with your foot but yet it's just so simple as if their holding back.

The drummers I'm trying to highlight in this thread are those that seem help back by the music they play. You know that they could probably tear up on the drumset, but they'd rather take the job of the back beat and let the music flow from the rest of the group as a whole.

Guys like: Will Champion from Coldplay, Larry Mullin Jr. from U2, Fab Morretti of The Strokes, and Rob Bourdin (sp?) from Linkin Park.

These guys are all under-rated drummers who don't get the respect they deserve.

Who else do you think is an under-rated drummer?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30 PM
potter696

Default Re: Most Under-rated Drummers

Dominic howard, Muse nobody really seems to give him the credit he deserves...

Listen to songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hyper music to see what i mean...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:34 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter696
Listen to songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hyper music to see what i mean...
I tried, I really did! It's just the singing, it makes my ears bleed so bad I can't hear the drums at all...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:36 PM
JW89

Patrick Wilson from Weezer is very under-rated, a lot of people think that he sucks, but ive seen them live a couple of times, and when he plays songs live he adds more complex drum fills

But dill X, back to what u said about larry mullen jr. i think that guy has to be pretty good, the stuff he plays on U2 albums is nothing special, but wasnt he tought by somebody who was considered to be the best drummer out of ireland? he has to be some what of a monster on the set.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW89
But dill X, back to what u said about larry mullen jr. i think that guy has to be pretty good, the stuff he plays on U2 albums is nothing special, but wasnt he tought by somebody who was considered to be the best drummer out of ireland? he has to be some what of a monster on the set.
I know, that's the whole point of thread. It's all about those drummers who are probably amazing but never get a chance to really shine because of the music they play. I've heard old material of Larry Mullin Jr. on the radio when U2 was just starting and he was just tearing it up on the kit.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 PM

Joey Castillo is under-rated and he is a sick drummer he should defianantly be on this site
Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 PM
JW89

thats what sucks, too many people judge drummers on what they do in the recordings for their bands. There are a lot of insane drummers out there, but they arent in bands that call for it.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:46 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
thats what sucks, too many people judge drummers on what they do in the recordings for their bands. There are a lot of insane drummers out there, but they arent in bands that call for it.
I personally think that if you're good it shows through anyway. Look at Matt Chamberlain's stuff with Tori Amos, particularly the live version of "Bells for Her". Almost nothing there, just a shaker, some bongos and the occasional backbeat in the chorus. But just try to play all that snare ghosting that appears every now and again - that's tricky stuff to get clean and tight, especially without a hi-hat or ride cymbal to cover up your mistakes.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
potter696

forgot about phil selway, i think that guy is fantastic, he just never gets noticed, some of the beats he plays are great like in creep and climbing up the walls, they may be really simple but they're what you remember the songs for...

I also think mike portnoy is underrated as not many people actually know who he is (i also know that there is a thread dedicated to him) but thats just my opinion...
Old 08-09-2005, 12:05 AM

?uestlove aka amhir thompson
Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecustom
I'm off to see The Roots this very evening! Whoohoo!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Stu_Strib

I would like to add that Jeff Porcaro is underrated too, even though he gets a lot of press from drummers. He's a drummer's drummer, but outside of drummers most people don't know his work.

Jeff Porcaro Discography
Old 08-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Stu_Strib

I'll have to check out the Tori Amos stuff. Everytime I've sampled it, I couldn't get into her music. I guess I can listen just for the drums.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, you are right! ?uestlove is a great drummer and producer, he is really great.
I love The Roots.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Pioneer Member

boris williams, formerly of the cure. his drum beats are easy to play but most of them are unique.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Pioneer Member

I know Matt Sorum can tear the kit appart, but is very reserved when playing in GNR, Slashes Snake Pit, on Velvet Rovolver...
Old 08-09-2005, 02:35 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I'll have to check out the Tori Amos stuff. Everytime I've sampled it, I couldn't get into her music. I guess I can listen just for the drums.
I know what you mean, I got a video just to watch Matt play and wanted to kill that bloody woman after about five minutes. But on the other hand she's a very good singer, and the musicianship is top-notch all over. I can't really cope with any of the albums other than Choirgirl, but the live CD is astonishing.

Good drum songs to check out from the Choirgirl album:

* Liquid Diamonds (drum machine + very intricate live overdub)
* Hotel (Everything... the song's a mess, but there's heaps going on)
* She's Your Cocaine (for a very live drum sound for a change)
* Iieee (just for the loop, it's really cool)

Good live tracks:

* Space Dog (for groove and snare drum playing)
* Cruel (for aggressive stuff)
* Bells for Her (for minimalism)
* Cornflake Girl (for an awesome shuffle)
Old 08-09-2005, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
I'm off to see The Roots this very evening! Whoohoo!

wow very very very lucky
Old 08-09-2005, 03:01 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
wow very very very lucky
I'm not feeling quite so lucky, I was talking to the editor of the local drum mag about setting me up an interview with ?uestlove. She was keen but the promoters came back and said they weren't allowing any interviews for anybody this tour. Bummer.

But still, I get to go see The Roots tonight. So I'm not exactly down. I saw them last time they were over here, they're one hard-working band - they played for so long that the car park closed and I had to catch the bus half way home and walk the other half! None of this 45-minute set nonsense you see from some bands, they did easily 2.5 hours ... maybe more.

Also, ?uestlove is just great. I love his approach, so funky and so deceptively simple sounding, yet so unique.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:06 AM

thats cool man, sorry you didnt get to meet him I would be pretty bummed also.

How did you get in touch with the editor of a drum magazine?
Old 08-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Stu_Strib

Finn, I sampled all those Amos tunes. I'll pass. His drumming on the John Mayer cd is great, but you gotta figure out which ones he is on, because its actually three drummers (?uestlove too!?)

Also, I believe he is the only drummer for the first two Sara Evans albums (if you don't hate female country).

I was astonished to find out, after hours of trying to figure out who was the drummer on a John Mayer track, a Sara Evans track, and the Wallflowers drummer, that its all the same guy! Probably why I like it.

As for Tori, well, I guess I'm not the right demographic, because I don't get anything she's singing. Like you said, she's got a good voice, but her songs might as well be in Swedish, because I have no clue what's going on! It reminds me of Jewel, but without the radio-friendly edge to it.

Stu
Old 08-09-2005, 04:02 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Finn, I sampled all those Amos tunes. I'll pass. His drumming on the John Mayer cd is great, but you gotta figure out which ones he is on, because its actually three drummers (?uestlove too!?)
Heh, I can't stand John Mayer so I guess we're back on familiar ground by not agreeing on that one :) I think my feelings on the subject are best summed up by this article :)

I can quite understand you not being too keen on that Tori Amos stuff though, she's certainly an acquired taste - and not one I've entirely managed to acquire at that.

also, stagecustom: I write for the mag in question, and I initially made contact by getting the email address of the editor off my flatmate - he's a drummer too and runs one of the larger drum departments in New Zealand. He'd had contact with her over a clinic held in the shop. I saw the mag and decided I should try to get some stuff in there, so I pitched an idea for a hi-tech/contemporary type column and it ran from there. It's only a quarterly magazine, so it's not exactly a big part of my workload but it's fun to do - and hey, I may yet get to meet some kickass people, we'll see.

(Edit: It may have helped that I have a magazine journalism background, it's what I used to do...)
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Patrick Wilson from Weezer is very under-rated, a lot of people think that he sucks, but ive seen them live a couple of times, and when he plays songs live he adds more complex drum fills

a lot of people think he sucks?! why? his drumming fit the music so perfectly. he is a great drummer.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 AM
JW89

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy
a lot of people think he sucks?! why? his drumming fit the music so perfectly. he is a great drummer.
yea i know! people are crazy, i was at guitar center like a year ago, and i was talking to a couple of people about him, and they were like "no, hes garbage". I think hes really good.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:40 AM

Nick D Virgillio from Spock's Beard !!!
This guy should have his page on Drummerworld for a long time, Bernhard, what are you waiting ???

Just check out the concept album Snow and see the brilliance of his playing. All Spock's Beard album until Snow are amazing to me !

Larry Mullin Jr from U2 : Sunday Bloddy Sunday intro anyone ??

Igor Cavalera : his tribal thrash playing is just fabulous !

Van Williams from Nevermore : excellent metal playing !

Steven Adler from GNR on the Appetite Album : I need more Cowbell !!!!!

Pharrell Williams (yes the Neptunes Fella) he has an incredible pocket and groove, he started as a drummer FYI
Old 08-09-2005, 05:04 AM

i am the worlds most underrated drummer =) haha yea rite
Old 08-09-2005, 06:09 AM
Ynnad101

Quote:
personally i dont think ?love is under-rated at all, just ask anyone who listens to the roots and theyll tell u... and if they dont then its just a matter of letting them know that the beat is human!!! lol... wanna double check??? look at the MD 2005 reader's poll results, (july issue) and you'll find out, thats just only one of the reasons.

Or maybe its cuz i listen to roots alot!!! oh well...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:37 AM

I totally agree with this thread. I don't think I could keep such a groove on such songs and hold back on filling. They are very unselfish in this aspect, and as such, are great musicians.

To name a few:

The guy from MUSE: I think not only is he completely solid, but absolutely creative as well, putting in the perfect fills. I could never do that. I wish I could.

The guy from Coldplay I noticed too.

Nick Mason, I think his name is, the guy from Pink Floyd. although he did kind of let loose, he kept a very tight pocket on many-a-slow song.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:22 AM

If any of you guys listen to The Outlaws they have two great drummers I really like, David Dix and Monte Yoho. Not really known but neither are the Outlaws so thatís probably why... check them out on The Outlaws Bring it Back Alive live album... good stuff (along the lines of Skynard and Allmon Bros)

Also, Iím not sure if he's considered underrated but Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam is sick. Great great feel. You can tell by the little subtleties in his beats that heís bored with standard rock beats, his SNL performances are a good example. I haven't heard any of his work outside of Pearl Jam, any body know what its like?

Also... I just wanna say, Jimmy Chamberlin, who I guess is fairly well known (of The Smashing Pumpkins) has some sick fills on their track Geek U.S.A. (good song too, check it out)

Ok, I'm done
Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Larry mullen jr. from U2, John Lever from the Chameleons UK, and Aaron Solowoniuk from Billy Talent.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Matt Abts from Gov't Mule is the most under-rated drummer I have ever seen. The man is incredible. His grooves, his technique, everything about his drumming is perfect. The only problem is, I haven't seen one other person mention him on this board!! Gov't Mule is a fairly unheard of band, its sort of a more focused and heavier version of the Allman Brothers. Very similar to Cream, Zeppelin, Mountain, and other great rock bands of the 60's, and 70's. I can highly recomend them to anyone who enjoys good ol rock bands. CHECK'EM OUT!!!!!!!!!

George Recile is also really good, he currently plays for Bob Dylan. He played for James Brown at one point, but he too is amazing. Check him out too!!
Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM
devilfish

In my opinion, Ty Dennis of Riders of the Storm (formerly The Doors and D21C), Scott Phillips of Creed and now Altar Bridge (his fills and ghost notes are awesome along with his HH slurs to compliment the other things he's doing), Dena Tauriello of Antigone Rising (she's a very strong drummer), My uncle (who can't read music but can play anything by anyone just off of a CD or the radio), the U2 drummer (I'll agree with that), the drummer for The Killers (he has such technique and timing, he's awesome), and the drummer for Coldplay too.

Cheers!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannar
Matt Abts from Gov't Mule is the most under-rated drummer I have ever seen.
Thank you. I've always wonder who he was. Along those lines, the drummer for O.A.R. (don't know who he is though), the drummer(s) for Mandalin Jazz (orchestra?). Finally the drummer for Keb' Mo'

Stu
Old 08-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Pioneer Member

The drummer from Mr. Bungle is pretty underrated, Danny Heifetz (spelling). He is sick, anyone who can keep up with as many genres and just craziness the rest of the band puts out is insane in my opinion. Matt Johnson who played with Jeff Buckley Is pretty underrated. I recommend to any rock fan to pick up His Album Grace. Very unique drumming for rock music.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:25 PM

Yeah Joey Castillo is pretty darn good!
I Like Roxy.
I don't even care if she plays or not. She just looks great on a set of drums!
Ahhhhh Then there's Yael...

For Video on Joey Castillo, Yael and others check them out here..
http://pacificdrums.com/pdp/movies/index.htm#
Attached Images

Last edited by onemat; 08-10-2005 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Photos, Missing
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I personally think Jason Rullo of symphony X is an underated drummer, he's incredible yet not much people know of him, or the band.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Calvin Napper - the songs i have heard him play he is pocket the whole time with maybe one or two licks that just make you rewind.
Calvin Rodgers - when he plays most people just hear the groove, i recently got ahold of a clip of him soloing and it was rediculous. his timing is almost perfect, you hear the subdivisions so clearly in his fills it's like a drum machine.
Gerald Heyward - this guy hardly played a fill till the end of Beyonce's DVD the whole concert you heard pocket then out of nowhere he just ripped
Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlow
The drummer from Mr. Bungle is pretty underrated, Danny Heifetz (spelling). He is sick, anyone who can keep up with as many genres and just craziness the rest of the band puts out is insane in my opinion. Matt Johnson who played with Jeff Buckley Is pretty underrated. I recommend to any rock fan to pick up His Album Grace. Very unique drumming for rock music.
Hell, you can come visit my house anytime :) I like your calls. Danny Heifetz is great, but if you're going to mention him you also have to get William Winant in there, they work so well together - probably the most creative drummer/percussionist pair I can think of.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

John Densmore IMO

i need more characters
Old 08-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Steve Hass

http://stevehass.net/listen-recordings.html