What drum company is best for me?

Katie_King

Hello, I am a young percussionist who only started about three years ago. In the past three years it has completely made me fall in love with music, especially metal/rock/post hard core/etc.I started out with an extremely cheap drum set at about $170, it was a "Groove Percussion" kit; for being so cheap, it actually had a pretty okay sound. I have been reading many of the discussions here on which company to go with, so far Yamaha, N&C, C&C, DW, Porkie Pie, Tama Starclassic, Sonor, SJC, Pearl, and Truth sound like good drums to go for. I've been kind of looking into getting a custom kit but not something that is going to break my wallet, just for it ending up only lasting me a couple of years. I don't want any tacky or flashy finishes, just something simple and classy, will last me a long time, and with a great sound to it. So with that, can anyone point me in the right direction to look?

It really depends on your budget. The best advice I can give you is to go out and try as many kits as you can, check your local used ads, and most importantly, be patient! Any of those kits will suit you fine. A young kid does not really need a custom kit. He/she needs a kit that works with him/her, and lessons! Try to separate the needs from the wants early on.
Also, remember that a lower end kit can always sound better with good heads and tuning, but bad cymbals always sound bad. Hope that helps, good luck.

Follow your budget and your heart.
There are many inexpensive kits that are excellent.
An intermediate level kit with a pro level snare and pro cymbals will take you anywhere that you want to go.

Custom drum companies usually come with a hefty price tag. A 4 piece shell kit from Truth will set you back $3400+ keep in mind that's no hardware or cymbals.

I would be hitting the used market and look for an intermediate kit, depending on your budget, from Yamaha,Pearl,Gretsch,Tama heck you might even find a good deal on a DW kit. Heck the Yamaha Stage customs are a great deal and sound really good, been playing a set of those at church going on 2 years now and I've been very pleased with how they sound

ANY decent kit if taken care of will last a life time! I have a Yamaha kit that I've been using for 25+ years and it looks as good as the day I got it because I'm meticulous about taking care of my gear, it's an investment and I do everything I can to protect my investments. I also have a DW Performance kit and it will last till the day I'm no longer on this earth.

It really depends on your budget. The best advice I can give you is to go out and try as many kits as you can, check your local used ads, and most importantly, be patient! Any of those kits will suit you fine. A young kid does not really need a custom kit. He/she needs a kit that works with him/her, and lessons! Try to separate the needs from the wants early on.
Also, remember that a lower end kit can always sound better with good heads and tuning, but bad cymbals always sound bad. Hope that helps, good luck.

Thank you for the advice! It will definitely help my decision in the long run now.

If you don't know already, learn what makes each drum sound different. Things like sizes, wood type, number of plies etc. Then as people said go out and try some kits. If you really want to put money into it, there is no need to upgrade, unless you really know that you want a different sound. I would check out Mapex also, I'm a big supporter of theirs and think they make really high end level kits for mid level prices. Also, I would look used first, unless you're really set on buying new. You can get a used set for almost half price sometimes. Really helpful when you start getting up over 1000 dollars. Unless you are rich a custom kit is probably out of your price range, and completely unnecessary at this point.

It makes money for some folks to endorse equipment.

Thats called sales...

Be wary.

Be aware that your playing is not dictated by your equipment...only flavored.

Also be aware that your pedal, heads, cymbals, tuning and (above all) playing supercede the shells(for the sets on the market that I can find)...and your art is far above advertisement.

Its easy to get lost in idoltry.

I have a Groove Percussion kit and i have to say that it's all i really need. I can tune and i know what heads i like. I've been playing for 17 years and started with a used "pro" yamaha kit and have had a few others over the years. got the GP as a bashing kit but it sounds so good that it is now my gigging kit. Really expensive drums are great to play but with the right heads and tuning my experience is that the difference in sound achieved is so minimal that it doesnt really matter how much you spend, you'll be able to get a good sound out of it. But if you feel the need to stimulate the economy a little then i'd suggest looking at Gretsch and Ludwig. They sound great and last for years. My Ludwig is over 40 years old and i play it everyday. sure it's beat up and not the prettiest kit out there but you cant beat the sound. I just dont want to gig with it anymore because at this point it's irreplaceable. the GP has solved my problem and it's tops $250 to replace the entire kit. cymbals are another matter. you cant do anything to change how they sound so invest in good ones that give the sound you want(subjective and good doesnt necessarily translate to expensive). Honestly the only thing on your kit that i'd advocate spending money on is the snare. get a good snare(Krupa's advice to young drummers). I have and old steel Tama snare that migrates from kit to kit. it's just a great sounding drum. my next purchase will most likely be another snare so that i have at least 2 good go to snares. Gee, that got long. hope it helps

Welcome Katie :)

Not wishing to sound condescending in any way, but if you have to ask "what kit should I be using", then a custom kit is not for you. You go custom for one reason, & one reason only, & that's because you can't satisfy your requirements with something that already exists.

If you can find a store that has a selection of drums in your price range, & they're prepared to let you try them in a meaningful way, then go and get an appreciation of the differences between those instruments. If you can get to a drum show, go do that too, as you'll be exposed to the widest possible selection to try/appreciate. Look up sample videos on Youtube too, but beware, they're usually significantly enhanced sound files. Once you have some idea of the vibe you're after, then go search for a good used example. If possible, take someone with you who knows something about checking what's important from a condition POV. If not, go & get the best deal you can on a new set. Remember, local service has value, so don't forget to factor that into your decision. Set aside at least half your budget for cymbals, & buy the very best you can.

Remember, buy in haste, repent at leisure. Good luck on your journey :)

I think keep it simple said it all.

I would try out and look at a range of drums...noy only brands but woods, hardware, heads and of course what types of cymbals suit your style.

Once you have an idea of what you like then you can keep an eye out for bargains...and they are out there.

For instance I keep looking at out local on line classifieds ( gumtree) and have seen some ludicrous prices like a Yammy Stage custom kick, 8' and 14' tom for $750

I bought a whole stage custom kit ( minus cymbals) PLUS a pearl mounting rack and heaps of clamos and stands for $300

Ive seen pearl forums by the dozen ranging from 350 to 1350 ...rediculous range for the same item.

People wanting 150 for a sabian b8 trash vs 450 for a boxed set of Armand Zildjians

So bide your time, and while waiting test stuff out so you can jump when it comes up !!

OH one more thing dont be afraid of old...I saw some Mapex Orions of a loved nature...going for a song...wish I had bought them...I was money tight at the time, but it had gone when I had the readies.

Currenytly looking at an old school Tama, looks 70;s including the horrible colour.....but its Hi end "imtermediate' Tama...I might buy it just to get a 14 floor...who says all the drums have to be the same manufacturer...... you could build your own custom kit.

Think its naff...well Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil often made up kits out of different sets.... picked and choosed what he liked...... not sure if he ever endorsed or even played "a" full kit..I saw one gig where he had ludwig and yamaha toms....nd zildjian and sabian pies (very hard to see have to look hard for the badges)

You would never accuse Rob Hirst of being unable to whack out a frenetric beat !!

A place that I didn't realize I started with was what my heroes were playing. I come from the 70s and actually had a subscription to Modern Drummer magazine. Back in the day that was about the only place you could get drum info and see what was popular. You could try that route. Who are your heroes and what is your budget? We all learn by emulation and then assimilation so there must be someone you like listening to.

Start with your budget,
then the features you want, number drums, sizes, etc
then choose a finish.

Do things in that order and you won't be disappointed

Spend your money on great cymbals first. Cymbals are the main items that makes a kit sound pro or not. Even though no one mentioned it yet, the great majority will concur with this logic. You can easily drop a grand on a great cymbal set. No matter what drums you have, your cymbal set will transform your tone to that of a pro.

Spend your money on great cymbals first. Cymbals are the main items that makes a kit sound pro or not. Even though no one mentioned it yet, the great majority will concur with this logic. You can easily drop a grand on a great cymbal set. No matter what drums you have, your cymbal set will transform your tone to that of a pro.

Duh - stupid me. Larry is exactly right and I usually chime this in FIRST. So this is easy, you have a choice of the big four: Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, and Meinl, and then there's all these other cool smaller companies like Amedia, SoulTone, Bosphorus. But there are more pros playing the big four I mentioned, and stay within their professional lines for the cymbals.

You can make any drumset sound good with the right heads and tuning. You can't do anything to make a bad cymbal sound good. You'll just replace them by spending more $$$.

Listen to Larry, you will.

If I was in your position, I'd go for the Gretsch Catalina kits, don't think there are many kits as good as them in that price range.

I don't think you said how much you are able to spend. Can't go wrong with them though.

Otherwise I'm thinking something by Mapex, PDP perhaps but I'm sure the Gretsch is cheaper and just as good, possibly better.

Check out Dream cymbals. Bliss series. I haven't used them personally but a lot o peeps use them and love them. As a bonus they are very affordable.

No, please DO NOT!

The best cymbals on the world are not good enough when you have drums with a shitty sound!
Spend your money in a good drumkit first (maybe with not so good cymbals) and then buy new cymbals later...

Wrong again! In my opinion, the only reason the drum set would have a shitty sound is because the operator does not have the knowledge or experience to make them sound great. An "alright" or beginners drum set will sound tremendous compared to that of cheap cymbals by just getting new heads and learning how to tune, as you would with any drum set costing thousands of dollars. There's nothing you can do with cheap cymbals but to put up with the sound of them. After you buy those cheap cymbals, you'll have to do the same all over again, but this time spending much more on more advanced cymbals that sound much better and have a much better resale value. If you know going into the deal that you'll be playing drums for only six weeks, then go cheap, but who really knows this.

Dennis

Back