Money Beat from everyone!!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Bo's recent essential beats thread brought me to this idea:

What if everyone of us provides a short video of themselves playing just a money beat?
I think that would be terribly cool and interesting, because you know, we all know that if
you have ten drummers from beginner to world class, or even ten drummers the same
level, everyone would sound different.

My suggestion: We decide for a tempo - say 100 - a range of length - say between
30 and 60 seconds - and if a fill is allowed :).

What say you? I can't make a start atm, because I'm at home typing this idea!!

Let's see what you got...

Maybe I'll actually remember to bring my digital recorder to the studio tomorrow.

So in essence, it's some sort of permutation of a 2 & 4 backbeat groove, kept within a reasonably basic shape (to avoid getting fired by the band leader)?

Fair nuff, Abe, but I'm thinking that if we don't take a strict, Clintonesque approach to the definition of "money beat" this could become a race to add the most impressive ornamentation ...

I don't have a video - is audio okay?

Good idea, Matthias.

HELLOOO GREA! MISS YA!

LOL..

I'll ab 'stain' from commenting on your metaphor..... hmm

Ya, not a race to over -ornament surely, but the thing that stands out first & foremost in Vinnie's example is that it grooves like a sonomabitch. The insane ghostnotes and displacements are all underneath the the 'big boom chick boom chick'. To me it just as valid a money beat as Kelter's for example.

So in essence, it's some sort of permutation of a 2 & 4 backbeat groove, kept within a reasonably basic shape (to avoid getting fired by the band leader)?

Wonderful definition. ( in Vinnie's case with a band leader who gave you charts with 33/16 Bulgarian influenced grooves,.. well.. thats a different kind of band leader )

Last edited:
I think it's a great idea, but I think it would be more interesting if it was strictly restricted to the most basic money beat (ala Billie Jean).

At least for half of the clip say, and then people could have free rein to embellish and ornament from there. No more than 60 seconds total would suffice right?

And could we move this thread to the Your Playing section before it becomes three pages of misplaced info. If audio is OK I'm in.

And could we move this thread to the Your Playing section before it becomes three pages of misplaced info. If audio is OK I'm in.

+1, I am game..Should be able to pull off a money beat on camera in 3-5 takes : )

I'm so sad that guitar percussion Money Beats don't count ;-)

Haha...

Well there could be some exeptions...

1. - You're allowed to do a "guitar percussion" money beat ...or

2. - Do a practice pads money beat.

Would be interesting to hear a deutschmark version of the money beat :)

Sounds interesting but I agree we need some set parameters. I'd be willing to give it a shot!

MAD,
I'll definitely try to implement anything brought up on this thread onto the guitar (most should be doable I think). (What I've done a few times was playing the ac. guitar and having some easy single bass & hihat patterns downstairs - great fun to do.)

As Polly said, I think it's hard to define where a Money Beat stops and begins to be more than that but there should be a healthy number of 'safe' Money Beats.

Now if you use a sophisticated pad like the Ludwig P4 that one can sound 'dimensional' when played by a good drummer.

I think this is a great idea and I cannot wait to participate

but I do think it should take place in a separate thread in the your playing section of course

we don't want the mayor to blow a gasket :)

Back