Do You ever feel like...

Kr1sh

... leaving a band for no important reason ?

I am asking this because, I recently tried to play with one band as a side project and, well, it was good. But I don't feel like I belong there. The music style is a bit different from what I like to play, and also I don't know most of the band really well, as they found me at my band's concerts, but I saw most them for the first time in my life. Me and the guitarist know each other for a bit longer, but still.

As it's not my primary band, I'm on the edge. I feel like I have to leave the band, but there is no important reason for that, I just feel like it is the right thing.

And my current band's members do not have that great relationships with them too.

Also, what would be your opinion on being in multiple bands ?

I'm in 4 bands, plus Al, plus recurring sit-in situations. I do it primarily because I like to play, and also to keep in musical shape between tours. Practicing drums at home is fine, but it's better to practice in context: with a band. Fortunately, there's little conflict between the groups, and on the few occasions I can't accept a gig, or I'm the road for several weeks, each band has a sub or two they can use.

As far as leaving a band, if you're not having fun, then go. But also be careful where you set your standards, and how much you insist on them. It's nice to be able to play what you want to play, but you're not always going to have that luxury. You can stick to your guns, but you're probably going to miss a lot of potential work. I know a few guys that absolutely refuse to play Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, etc., and they don't! In fact, they don't work much at all. But they apparently get their wish and somehow rationlize that as a successful strategy.

Anyway, not every band situation is a good fit. Unless you're making a bunch of money that makes it worth tolerating a less-than-thrilling situation, you shouldn't feel bad about moving on.

Bermuda

Well, for me it's a bit different. We've only had two rehearsals, but that's not the thing. It's the way I got into the band...

Before new year, I had a conflict with my band's leader and I didn't warn him about trying to play with this band. Now it's okay, but I start to realize that it might have been a mistake joining this band. It really complicated my daily routine and also relationships.

As I am a 9th grade student, it's difficult to carry cymbals around to studios for rehearsals. Also, my primary band is on a bit higher recognition level and we have our own studio, so it's like a step down. The only thing is that they are a bit more musically skilled, not much. Also they are mostly jamming and not working on original material, which is a minus in my book.

Sounds like you already know the answer. :)

It's perhaps a hasty decision if you thinking of leaving that band after just 2 rehearsals, don't you want to see if it's improving with time?

Also, I found that being part of more than one band can be helpful, especially if the music is different in each band, I've been at one stage part of 3 bands at the same time, a rock band, a jazzy fusion band and a improvisional band, it's all good experience as far as playing the kit, it open the mind and the learned experiences can be applied within your playing on different styles. :)

If it feels wrong, leave and use the time to find another playing situation that will help your musical development. :)

There's a simple way to figure out if you should leave a band. You just need to judge the amount of fun you are having against the amount of money you are making. There comes a point when the amount of money you are making may compensate for a lack of fun, and likewise the amount of fun you are having may compensate for the lack of money. Of course if you aren't having fun and aren't making any money, then the choice is clear. I try to stay clear of negative playing situations. There's no growth when you aren't enjoying yourself.

How cool is it that a 9th grade kid can go online and get serious, serious advice from a pro drummer about his drumming woes, perspective on life and how it relates to drumming successfully/professionally. From home. The internet is good for some things.

Kr1sh- do you know who bermuda is?

How cool is it that a 9th grade kid can go online and get serious, serious advice from a pro drummer about his drumming woes, perspective on life and how it relates to drumming successfully/professionally. From home. The internet is good for some things.

Kr1sh- do you know who bermuda is?

Me thinks he's heard all he needs to hear.

You look bigger in the mirror but you haven't gained any weight. I've been at 185lbs for 3 weeks now but I still look bigger in the mirror (mainly lats and shoulders). Do any of you guys notice this too? Why? My strength has also increased a lot but my weight hasn't moved.

You look bigger in the mirror but you haven't gained any weight. I've been at 185lbs for 3 weeks now but I still look bigger in the mirror (mainly lats and shoulders). Do any of you guys notice this too? Why? My strength has also increased a lot but my weight hasn't moved.

???????????????? ...me, no comprendo relation to OP....:)

Back