Getting another tom

drumr_102

The bass player in my band had his cousin over at his house (where my drums are) and just couldn't understand how I play with only two toms, 12" rack and 16" floor. So now the bassist thinks that I should get another tom to "shake things up".
I don't believe this is an important addition to my drum set at all, but he thinks I can't do "as full of fills" without three toms. Maybe because we play in 4/4 and that would even it up (1 snare and 3 toms)?

Just wondering your thoughts on this guys.
Thanks!

The size of your kit doesn't always limit what you can play. I have heard massive kickass chops on a 4 piece kit. Just because a kit is small, doesn't mean you can't have a "full fill".

If he's stubborn, tell him he needs a 3-string bass when you play 3/4 timing...

The size of your kit doesn't always limit what you can play. I have heard massive kickass chops on a 4 piece kit. Just because a kit is small, doesn't mean you can't have a "full fill".

If he's stubborn, tell him he needs a 3-string bass when you play 3/4 timing...

Haha
He said it was like a jazz kit and I told him no I would tune it differently for jazz and that his bass was like a jazz bass because it had four strings like one. (Not to mention it's a Fender Jazz Bass)

It's cerainly not necessary, but don't let a small thing like this cause fights or even start a feud. It probably hasn't gotten that far yet, but just make sure it doesn't. If he really wants you to buy another tom, just go head and do it. You don't even have to play it if you don't want to, just set it up, because part of it might just be for appearance. And who knows, maybe you'll like it even better.

Haha
He said it was like a jazz kit and I told him no I would tune it differently for jazz and that his bass was like a jazz bass because it had four strings like one. (Not to mention it's a Fender Jazz Bass)

He must have watched "Pawn Stars" to broaden his vast knowledge on drum set-ups.

It's cerainly not necessary, but don't let a small thing like this cause fights or even start a feud. It probably hasn't gotten that far yet, but just make sure it doesn't. If he really wants you to buy another tom, just go head and do it. You don't even have to play it if you don't want to, just set it up, because part of it might just be for appearance. And who knows, maybe you'll like it even better.

I would if I had the money, but I'm using two toms from the '80s so I'm not going to mess with finding one that fits them and spend money I don't have. Not to mention having to carry it around and move my ride to a different spot.
I think he sees having more toms as a heavier style of music. (He's been trying to get us to play heavier rock live to get crowds into it more)

Haha
Ironic since a lot of jazz bassists use 6-12 string basses.

Anyway, I played (and still own) a 4-piece (ground tom, snare, bass, mount) Premier club jazz kit which I used to play... Thrash metal!

It's not his kit to say anything about, it's yours. You play it, you know what you can do on it.

That makes me laugh, because the first day I met my guitarist he looked at my kit (22" kick, 12" rack, 14" and 16" floors, hats, 18" crash, 20" ride) and asked what my dream kit was, and when I shrugged and told him I'd like another crash, he looked at me like I was crazy, like I should want some Peart-esque monster.

Buddy Rich had a 5 piece set up,but never played the second floor tom which he used as a drink and towel holder.An interviewer asked him one time if would ever get a bigger kit.He replied"why,I haven't learned to play these yet"Tell that guy you'll add another tom if he'll add another string to his bass so he can play more notes.Good luck.

Steve B

"Its better to be silent and thought ignorant,than to speak and remove all doubt".....Lincoln

Ironic since a lot of jazz bassists use 6-12 string basses.

Yes. Especially 12-string Double-Basses.... ;)

In case you didn't know: Most jazz bassists even refuse to play electric basses. The fact that Fender called their famous model "Fender Jazz Bass" has nothing to do with the kind of music it was intended for.

The most common instrument used by jazz bassists was and still is the double-bass or upright bass if you will. This instrument has 4 Strings.

I think you confused Fusion with Jazz. But also in Fusion music, most people seem to settle with 4 or 5 String basses. 6 strings is kinda rare, while 7 strings is only used by an absolute minority since they are very bulky and not comfortable to play. More than 7 strings is reaaaaally uncommon and usually not even considered to be a bass in the classical sense of the word anymore.

What does this have to do with the amount of toms you need on a drumset? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Buddy Rich had a 5 piece set up,but never played the second floor tom which he used as a drink and towel holder.An interviewer asked him one time if would ever get a bigger kit.He replied"why,I haven't learned to play these yet"Tell that guy you'll add another tom if he'll add another string to his bass so he can play more notes.Good luck.

Steve B

"Its better to be silent and thought ignorant,than to speak and remove all doubt".....Lincoln

That's funny. I told him that I would think about getting more drums when I learned how to get more combinations out of the ones I have.
I'm not anywhere near Buddy Rich so it'll be awhile lol

Has he told you to get a double kick pedal yet?

Nope and he better not. I'm pretty sure that's one of the only things people who don't play drums know that drummers use.
I've had so many people that don't play drums ask me why I don't use a double bass, but that's another thread...
I just don't understand why I can't have the set up I'm going to use. If I wanted to be flashy I would get more stuff, but I'm still learning how to make do with what I've got and I believe if you can't play 4 drums you can't play 20.

I think it's obnoxious that your bass player is trying to push you in a direction you don't want to go. I don't care if it's another tom, cheater-beater, or more cymbals (or fewer toms, no cheater-beaters, and fewer cymbals for that matter).

I play a medium sized kit and have had looks thrown at me from both directions: those that thought I should upsize and downsize.

Play what suits you. If he's so hung up on your configuration, maybe he should find a different band. Drums are your domain. Bands tend to stay together because the people that play in them do so with respect for each others' musical decisions - including rig configurations.

Back