Gretsch Catalina Maple

FattyFunk

I just ordered a Gretsch Catalina Maple drum kit with a mocha fade finish. I just want to know what you guys think about it?

Attachments

• Gretsch Catalina Maple - Mocha Fade.jpg
    Gretsch Catalina Maple - Mocha Fade.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 10,156
I've heard only nice things about the Gretsch Catalina drums. I think you made a good choice. You'll have to post a video of you playing 'em when you get them!

My son has a Catalina Club maple. I used it as a rehearsal kit once and really liked it. I was not impressed by the hardware though.

It's interesting about those Catalinas.... I bought the same set you bought but mine was in a Tobacco Fade. They are "decent" drums. Not great compared to the USA Customs (of which i have a set and are the best sounding /built drums i've ever owned in my life, and i've owned just about all of them), but here's the interesting info.... The hoops are not true to form. They are bent and not all in perfect round. I had to have one Fl. Tom hoop replaced and the "replacement" I got back was almost as bad as the first one. This of curse effects tuning. Next, i had to replace the heads to get a fatter warmer sound out of the drums. A personal taste thing, to be sure.... The finish is absolutely exquisite. No doubt about that and i think that this is the best feature of the drums. The biggest issue for me was that the sound of the drums themselves were a "limited use" sound for my ears. On the toms, i found that the sound chokes at a high volume/striking level. This displeases me personally. Bottom line is that I sold them off almost as soon as i bought them and used them on as few gigs. They're "ok" entry level or maybe semi-pro drums. But i've been playing for over 40 years and they don't "get it" for me personally. Also, i have noticed a ton... TON of Catalina sets and singles up for sale on Ebay for a long time now and new (used) Catalinas show up all the time. People are getting rid of them in droves.... Something to consider.

I just have the Catalina Maple snare. I don't find it spectacular, but it's fine, but everyone I play with who gives any notice towards my drums comment on how much they like it.

I've heard only nice things about the Gretsch Catalina drums. I think you made a good choice. You'll have to post a video of you playing 'em when you get them!

Il'l be getting them next monday i think.
Il'l post a video as soon as i get them set up!

Last edited:
It's interesting about those Catalinas.... I bought the same set you bought but mine was in a Tobacco Fade. They are "decent" drums. Not great compared to the USA Customs (of which i have a set and are the best sounding /built drums i've ever owned in my life, and i've owned just about all of them), but here's the interesting info.... The hoops are not true to form. They are bent and not all in perfect round. I had to have one Fl. Tom hoop replaced and the "replacement" I got back was almost as bad as the first one. This of curse effects tuning. Next, i had to replace the heads to get a fatter warmer sound out of the drums. A personal taste thing, to be sure.... The finish is absolutely exquisite. No doubt about that and i think that this is the best feature of the drums. The biggest issue for me was that the sound of the drums themselves were a "limited use" sound for my ears. On the toms, i found that the sound chokes at a high volume/striking level. This displeases me personally. Bottom line is that I sold them off almost as soon as i bought them and used them on as few gigs. They're "ok" entry level or maybe semi-pro drums. But i've been playing for over 40 years and they don't "get it" for me personally. Also, i have noticed a ton... TON of Catalina sets and singles up for sale on Ebay for a long time now and new (used) Catalinas show up all the time. People are getting rid of them in droves.... Something to consider.

Thanks for your long and detailed reply. Trust me, this will be a HUGE upgrade from my kit. I have an old CB-700 from the 60's. It goes out of tune after about 20 minutes of playing.

Oh, you had the CB's... Yes, getting the Catalina's IS "a huge upgrade." You will be pleased from that perspective. Like i say, they are NOT bad sounding drums. But watch those hoops my friend. I never, ever could get the 16" fl. tom to tune up correctly.

Great drums for the money.

I've read a few horror stories about hoops not fitting, hardware not being up to scratch, drums being hard to tune etc etc. I can only give you my own experiences with these.

I bought a second hand set about a year ago. For the money, these drums are solid. I've experienced a very wide tuning range (a lot wider than i expected for an intermediate kit) after swapping out the stock heads. Get rid of the stocks, that's a no brainer on any intermediate kit IMHO. I also got rid of the rubbers on the floor tom legs....vastly inadequate. Swap 'em for Pearl suspension feet and the difference is remrkable. The snare is the weakest link (ok for me as I never use it), but that said, it's workable and with a little playing around you can certainly get a decent sound out of it.

Don't get caught up in high end comparisons. No, they don't sound like USA Customs, but to me that comment is a little irrelevant. A Toyota Camry can't be compared with a Ferrari Enzo either. Quite simply, they're not meant to. If they did Gretsch wouldn't be letting them go at those prices. Simple.

Swap the heads and floor tom feet and have a ball mate. Outside of these two fixable issues, I've encountered no other problems with the Cats. Intermediate kits made today are far superior than those made in days gone by. The drums are sound and you've bought a nice workable kit that will gig and record well for you. I've been very happy with the sounds I've been able to get out of mine.

Enjoy 'em.

Oh, you had the CB's... Yes, getting the Catalina's IS "a huge upgrade." You will be pleased from that perspective. Like i say, they are NOT bad sounding drums. But watch those hoops my friend. I never, ever could get the 16" fl. tom to tune up correctly.

I'll order some new hoops if i have to.

Great drums for the money.

I've read a few horror stories about hoops not fitting, hardware not being up to scratch, drums being hard to tune etc etc. I can only give you my own experiences with these.

I bought a second hand set about a year ago. For the money, these drums are solid. I've experienced a very wide tuning range (a lot wider than i expected for an intermediate kit) after swapping out the stock heads. Get rid of the stocks, that's a no brainer on any intermediate kit IMHO. I also got rid of the rubbers on the floor tom legs....vastly inadequate. Swap 'em for Pearl suspension feet and the difference is remrkable. The snare is the weakest link (ok for me as I never use it), but that said, it's workable and with a little playing around you can certainly get a decent sound out of it.

Don't get caught up in high end comparisons. No, they don't sound like USA Customs, but to me that comment is a little irrelevant. A Toyota Camry can't be compared with a Ferrari Enzo either. Quite simply, they're not meant to. If they did Gretsch wouldn't be letting them go at those prices. Simple.

Swap the heads and floor tom feet and have a ball mate. Outside of these two fixable issues, I've encountered no other problems with the Cats. Intermediate kits made today are far superior than those made in days gone by. The drums are sound and you've bought a nice workable kit that will gig and record well for you. I've been very happy with the sounds I've been able to get out of mine.

Enjoy 'em.

Yeah, I've read things about the rubber feet. Ill order the Pearl suspention feet.

I'll order some new hoops if i have to.

Do those come with die cast hoops like the USA's do? If they're triple flanged ones from China (as on my Sonor Force 3007), for some reason, China doesn't seem to get those right. Mine on the Sonors fit, but they feel really flimsy for some reason, and I just chocked it up to being from China.

There are several companies online in America that sell triple flanged as well as die cast hoops. It'd be really hip if you changed out all your hoops for diecast. I bet you'd get closer to the original Gretsch sound if you made that upgrade....

Yo Bo! :>)

Right, the Catalinas have those China hoops and are not like the ones on the USA Customs. On the Cats, all the hardware (everywhere) has those annoying little "Made in China" stickers. Peal those off bro (unless they don't bother you).

Yes of course, the Cats are not like the USA customs. Good point and analogy. For me personally, i have never regretted getting rid of my Cats. There are too many things about them that bug me. But if someone else is happy with them, that's great. I agree with changing out those hoops for die casts. That's going to be quite an added expense though. Might as well look into buying a set of Customs. It's kind of like going half way there financially. I really didn't think the snares on the cats sounded too bad. The other drums are my complaints.

Yo Bo! :>)

Right, the Catalinas have those China hoops and are not like the ones on the USA Customs. On the Cats, all the hardware (everywhere) has those annoying little "Made in China" stickers. Peal those off bro (unless they don't bother you).

Yes of course, the Cats are not like the USA customs. Good point and analogy. For me personally, i have never regretted getting rid of my Cats. There are too many things about them that bug me. But if someone else is happy with them, that's great. I agree with changing out those hoops for die casts. That's going to be quite an added expense though. Might as well look into buying a set of Customs. It's kind of like going half way there financially. I really didn't think the snares on the cats sounded too bad. The other drums are my complaints.

Wow, that's different! Someone who doesn't have a problem with the stock snare! Usually it's the other way around. When I was getting ready to get my Sonors, everyone was telling me I needed to pick out a 'proper' snare for it, and I almost fell for it. Then I remembered I've been playing for longer than some of our members have been living and I can tune a damn drum. That Sonor snare was pleasantly surprising! Too bad it wasn't chromed steel then I could use it with any kit!

I agree with changing out those hoops for die casts. That's going to be quite an added expense though. Might as well look into buying a set of Customs.

Hmmm......die cast hoops WITHOUT the astronomical cost of USA Customs, anybody?

How about the Renowns? A step up from the Cats without the hefty price tag of the Customs.......and all with die cast hoops, 30 deg edges AND silver sealer......and truely great sounding drums to boot. Seriously, the Cats are fine, but if you want to spice it up, then check 'em out.

Gretsch Drums.......is there anything they can't do? :)

Oh and FWIW, guess what the first thing to go on my Cats was? Yep, the "Made In China" stickers. I can live with it, but I ain't advertising the fact either.

Last edited:
The catalina maple is awesome! I've played with many types of bands with this kit, and I still am and it's holding up for every single one! I currently play in an alternative rock group, fusion/experimental jazz group, and a doom metal group. Just replace the stock heads to some of your favorite choice and for the price this kit definitely holds up!

+1 on what PFOG said above....if you have a few extra bux, the Renowns are the way to go. I had a set of Cat Birches for about a year and they were just ok....nothing special. They were finicky to tune and the hardware was mediocre at best.... You may be asking why did I get them then??? price. I basically stole a set for 200 bux off craigslist....so I used it as my practice set in the studio....If I were to do it again, Id steer clear.

F

I have one of these in a deep red finish that was made by accident. It's beautiful, but the factory just put the wrong color on it, so I got a great deal.

This kit was a big step up from my Tama Rockstar hahahahaha. My favorite drum on the kit is the snare. Like others were saying, be sure to replace the heads, including the resonant heads, especially on the snare. I like the Aquarian Super-2's on the toms, and a nice thin resonant head for the snare, with a single ply coated guy on the batter side. I haven't found anything great for the kick yet - it's my least favorite drum, probably because I can't find anything that will make it sound good.

Anybody have any favorite head set-ups for these guys? Any tricks with the kick drum, or dealing with the tuning problems?

-sheldon

Anybody have any favorite head set-ups for these guys? Any tricks with the kick drum, or dealing with the tuning problems?

-sheldon

On my Cat. Maples I have GMAD on my batter and a EQ3 on the reso with nothing inside the drum. Deep and powerful. No complaints from me on these drums.

I'm using coated emperors over ambassadors. PS3's on both sides of the kick.

I've had no tuning probs whatsoever. In fact, I've been surprised to read that people have. To me, it's almost as if these drums want to tune themselves......well, okay, but you get the point.

Lovin' it!

Back