My first post: Howdy, and help pricing used drums

John Coloccia

I've been lurking here forever, checking out all the great videos. I must have watched them all a million times. Thanks so much for such a great resource.

I'm not a gigging drummer. I just play for fun and relaxation. I'm thinking of dumping my acoustic kit for an electronic kit for all the obvious reasons. It's a fairly nice set in fantastic condition. Yamaha Absolute Maple Nouveau, Anton Fig snare, nice mix of Sabian Paragons and Zildjians.

I'm absolutely clueless how to price these things. I was hoping to maybe get some advice and guidelines to help me through this. Even things as basic as should I sell as a set or separately. I don't want to turn this into an ad for my set so I didn't post specifics. I'm really just wondering where to start. I just want to get a fair price for them.

My local drum shop will take them on consignment but they also take a huge cut. I don't remember what it was, but it was ridiculous. 50% or something like that.

Thanks again, Bernhard. Drummerworld is, by and large, what got me back into drumming after a long long time away.

-John Coloccia

Hey John,

You can go to ebay and Craigslist and search for comparable items to get an idea of pricing.

I would sell the shell pack and hardware together and the cymbals separate. My experience is that cymbals to sell better individually than drums. But, that also depends on the quality of the cymbals as well.

Good luck,
-r

Back