What does 'shredding' mean?

What happens to aircraft tyres if the descent is too sudden and what musicians ( specially guitarists ) do when they want the world to see how fast and how spectacularly they can work their instrument.

Last edited:
Abe, you're in a mischievous mood :) Isn't it about going off to the shed to practice?

However, the online dictionary tells me:
1 to set apart : segregate

2: to cause to be dispersed without penetrating <duck's plumage sheds water>

3a: to cause (blood) to flow by cutting or wounding

3b: to pour forth in drops <shed tears>

3c: to give off or out <sheds some light on the subject>

4a: to give off, discharge, or expel from the body of a plant or animal: to eject, slough off, or lose as part of the normal processes of life <a caterpillar shedding its skin> <a cat shedding hair> <a deciduous tree sheds its leaves in the fall>

4b: to discharge usually gradually especially as part of a pathological process <shed a virus in the feces> <shed those tight wrists and shoulders so you can drum smoothly and easily>

5 : to rid oneself of temporarily or permanently as superfluous or unwanted <shed her inhibitions> <the company shed 100 jobs>
Take your pick!

Abe, you're in a mischievous mood :) Isn't it about going off to the shed to practice?

However, the online dictionary tells me:
1 to set apart : segregate

2: to cause to be dispersed without penetrating <duck's plumage sheds water>

3a: to cause (blood) to flow by cutting or wounding

3b: to pour forth in drops <shed tears>

3c: to give off or out <sheds some light on the subject>

4a: to give off, discharge, or expel from the body of a plant or animal: to eject, slough off, or lose as part of the normal processes of life <a caterpillar shedding its skin> <a cat shedding hair> <a deciduous tree sheds its leaves in the fall>

4b: to discharge usually gradually especially as part of a pathological process <shed a virus in the feces> <shed those tight wrists and shoulders so you can drum smoothly and easily>

5 : to rid oneself of temporarily or permanently as superfluous or unwanted <shed her inhibitions> <the company shed 100 jobs>
Take your pick!

Thanks for the references, LOL i'll take 'practice' for the answer though. :)

the word "shedding" also seems to have a slightly different meaning among gospel drummers. when those guys talk about shedding, they mean a few of them got together with their kits and traded grooving and soloing ideas. they call that a "shed session". it's like a jam session just for drummers.

I don't know if you saw the recent 'favourite quotes' thread, but someone once remarked that i sounded like i was building a shed when i was drumming.

so for me, shedding = drumming

Isn't it about going off to the shed to practice?

Pretty much. In the states, at least, the longer version is "woodshedding". Go out to the woodshed so nobody has to listen to one's shit playing.

I don't think it's incompatible with dairyman's reference, you just need a bigger shed!

I always thought woodshedding had something to do with the toll that lots of practice takes on your drumsticks... The area below my hihats/snare looks like the floor of wood-shop.

Yep, hiding in the woodshed getting it together. That way when you come out of the shed, you have it going on, not a work in progress.

By extension, any practice. Shedding a song meaning practicing it to get it down.

Amatures practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

I always thought woodshedding had something to do with the toll that lots of practice takes on your drumsticks... The area below my hihats/snare looks like the floor of wood-shop.

That's what I thought until I'd heard about the backyard shed thing. I'm pretty easy on my sticks but a friend plays a lot of rimshots and his sticks look as though he go hungry ...

Wow , so many different meanings and they're all relevant. I never thought my question would get such deep responses..... Big up!

What happened when Charlie Parker hit the woodshed with his alto sax? Did he leave bits of brass laying around (probably) or bamboo from the reeds? =-)

Leaving wood bits around is kind of the exclusive province of drummers.

I wonder what happens for folks who use those metal drumsticks.

In the states, at least, the longer version is "woodshedding". Go out to the woodshed so nobody has to listen to one's shit playing.

It must be a Yank thing.....I'd never heard it before joining the forums. It's now one of my favourite musical terms.

"Woodshedding".......Love it!!

Back