Splashes and crashes...

ffcryan

I'm a newbie with the drums, but just want to know one thing. Do you have to have a crash cymbal in your set up? Can you create a similar sound with a large splash cymbal?

Also, can two splash cymbals create a good hi hat sound?

Thanks

yes and yes. there are no rules, and you don't have to follow any conventions.

two splashes as hi-hats can be really funky. it is helpful to have a thicker splash for the bottom cymbal because you get weird pitch bends if you use two thin cymbals, but that can also just be another cool sound.

Thanks for responding :)

Does anyone know the strength of a high end splash and how different the metal is in comparison to smaller crashes?

splash cymbals are usually pretty thin so they can make that super quick splashy sound like they're supposed to. because of that thinness, and because they're so small they can be broken rather easily so you don't want to smack them too hard. they're made of the same metal as other crash cymbals.

I use 12" splashes as hats on my kit as x-hats. I don't have any sound samples but think of high-pitched, sharp, quick hi-hats with some dark trashiness to them because the cymbals are thinner.

You absolutely don't need to have crashes on a kit. Check out the drummer for the Presidents of the USA, he used splashes and hi-hats exclusively.

i spent like an hour trying to find a video of the presidential band drumset player, nothing on youtube!!

Surely you jest?

Here ya go....take your pick:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=presidents+of+the+united+states+of+america&aq=0

LATE EDIT: I think I've just figured out the cause of the confusion. Not, the drummer for the Presidential band, but the drummer from the band The Presidents of the USA (relatively short lived 90's act.....very funny....check out some of their stuff on the link)

Last edited:
Sorry, I wrongly assumed the Presidents were a little better known than that... next time I'll throw a link it.

Yeah, these guys did not play at the White House or anything...

Anyone got any suggestions for a good sounding 10" splash that won't break the bank? I was thinking of a used Paiste 2002...

I have a 10" Stagg splash that was very reasonable and when folks sit in on my kit, it's often their favorite crash. Kind of trashy with the right amount of sustain to have some tone and projection while still being a quick splash. I've had some small thin splashes and when the band is going, they are completely lost.

My other favorite quick cymbal is much more expensive, the Paiste Signature fast crashes.

Surely you jest?

Here ya go....take your pick:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=presidents+of+the+united+states+of+america&aq=0

LATE EDIT: I think I've just figured out the cause of the confusion. Not, the drummer for the Presidential band, but the drummer from the band The Presidents of the USA (relatively short lived 90's act.....very funny....check out some of their stuff on the link)

haha thanks for clearing this up, i was searching the marine core presidential band!

altho i did discover something in my pointless searching, the top secret drum corps! they
sound beastly

Seems to me that Stagg splashes have been a favourite amongst many. Such a low price as well! Just heard their regular splash and it sounds very nice. Like you said, the right amount sustain....

And that band someone posted, is the kind of set up I want. Just I have a converted floor tom as my base drum.

I like Stagg splashes too. They vary heaps in quality from cymbal to cymbal, though, but if you're lucky you can end up with a good cymbal at a great price.

Back