When ordering custom kit..how much deposit do dealers generally require?

DaleClark

When custom ordering a drum set..how much deposit do dealers generally require?

Just curious. I would hate to order a kit and dealer goes bankrupt. My former in laws (25 years ago) ordered $10,000 worth of kitchen remodeling cabinets, flooring, etc....dealer went under and nothing they could do. They lost their deposit.

Just curious how it works with ordering drums. I'm talking ordering a custom configuration from the standard catalog items of major drum companies like DW, Tama, Ludwig, etc

Last edited:
Around here it's 50%, but you can generally get that amount of credit from the dealer that won't start growing until you have the kit.

Most dealers don't order custom kits, as most custom builders don't have a dealer network. That said, 50% is customary.

As for going out of business, a dealer who's survived the ups and downs of the last 10 years is probably here to stay. It's the custom builders closing shop that you have to worry about.

Bermuda

Most dealers don't order custom kits, as most custom builders don't have a dealer network. That said, 50% is customary.

As for going out of business, a dealer who's survived the ups and downs of the last 10 years is probably here to stay. It's the custom builders closing shop that you have to worry about.

Bermuda

I should have been more clear....custom order of general drum brands ( DW, Ludwig, etc). Not custom builder.

If I had my "ruthers" depending on wood- I'd want a Sonor (beech)SQ2, or a Kumu (birch) kit (Finnish company) or a Guru (Tour walnut) drum kit (UK drum maker). Two are plies and the Guru is a segmented shell. I've only played one the Sonor in person and it was amazing-but the other two I've only heard videos and both put the Sonor to shame (to my ears)-which is saying a lot. One of the forum members played a Kumu and his recordings sounded fantastic, and another forum member has posted his walnut on a gig and it sounded fantastic-as well as other videos posted. It's on my bucket list. I've been leaning towards the walnut for some time now;) Sorry I know my comment has nothing to do with your post-just day dreaming-and that's just the way I roll.

Last edited:
I should have been more clear....custom order of general drum brands ( DW, Ludwig, etc). Not custom builder.

Are you still talking about a 'custom kit' thought? Just made by a big name manufacturer? Or just what they offer in a catalog?

If I wanted something truly custom, I'd be prepared to just pay for the whole thing up-front. I imagine if you ordered a custom Sonor SQ2, or a Pearl Masterworks (where you get to pick everything), they'd want all of it up-front because if they take half, then you bail on the rest of the payment, they're stuck with a kit they may not be able to sell. Whenever I've added a DW tom to an existing kit, I just paid the asking price up front.

If I wanted something truly custom, I'd be prepared to just pay for the whole thing up-front. I imagine if you ordered a custom Sonor SQ2, or a Pearl Masterworks (where you get to pick everything), they'd want all of it up-front because if they take half, then you bail on the rest of the payment, they're stuck with a kit they may not be able to sell. Whenever I've added a DW tom to an existing kit, I just paid the asking price up front.

I'll second this.

If you're buying from a custom builder, the money has to be upfront, it's their living plus their costs for raw materials are going to be more than a big manufacturer but I find you get way better craftsmanship.

I guess if a custom builder goes out of business they're obliged to fill any back orders.

I corrected title to reflect custom configuration ordering a general catalog items

Looks like 50% may be the norm. Sonor sq2 is really high on my list right now. We are heading to Nashville in late summer for a few days. I will have to check out Fork's. Plus, that would be a great time to try out many mid to high level series drums from a few brands. NOTHING here except beginner kits or Ludwig Ringo kits (I already own Ludwig and plan to keep).

Last edited:
I'll second this.

If you're buying from a custom builder, the money has to be upfront, it's their living plus their costs for raw materials are going to be more than a big manufacturer but I find you get way better craftsmanship.

I guess if a custom builder goes out of business they're obliged to fill any back orders.

So long as the sizes and finish are not too off, the dealer can charge the equivalent or more of his profit margin upfront (say 20%). If the buyer reneges, you can still sell at a 10% discount and still turn uout a profit 30% or more instead of 20%.

Of course if a guy wants a pink 10-16-28 with black hardware in square sizes, you ask for the full amount up-front as their is no demand for such a kit, nor should there be !

The majority of people ordering at my lds want a DW collectors maple in a nice or even exotic finish in FAST sizes anyways.

The only answer that really matters is the one you get from an authorized dealer.

But generally music stores require pre-payment in full on special orders.

Back