2015 Guru Snare Competition Entry Details - ENDS SOON!

Andy

Honorary Member
Well, you wouldn't think so, but I've been working on this for days. I had to work out the IT side of things for myself. Awe man it was painful (& it cost me too :(

Anyhow, I'm pretty proud of this, imperfect though it may be. This is the second year of this competition, & I was determined to raise the bar. I'll leave it for the web page to give the details, but I'm stoked that we got Yolanda on board with this. Kinda cool for a drumming competition not to be judged exclusively by drummers. Good of Evans to chime in on the prize pool too.

Thanks to all who offered advice, & I've tried to take on board as many criticisms as I could from last year's event. For beginners who find the track daunting, check out the short version with click track - anyone can groove to that :) For the accomplished amongst you, dare to try the full length track without click ;)

I hope you can all get behind this, & please share with friends & contacts.

Feedback appreciated http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

Cheers, Andy.

Attachments

• yolanda.jpg
    yolanda.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 1,123
Last edited:
Re: The 2015 funky Guru snare competition starts now! Entry details :)

Yowsers!

Just one question, which I didn't see covered in the rules, as a relative n00b, do I get to enter in the n00b category and in the any amateur category, or are entries limited to one per person?

And is Straya included in the "within reason" part of anywhere in the world?

Wooh! So I have about two months to come up with drum parts. This is soo nerve wracking yet exciting! Amazing Andy! Can't wait to see what the other drummers come up with. Also is it ok to create a thread posting practice clips and ideas for the competition using this track?

Woooo the voting ends on my birthday. Cannot wait to try and dig into this track although I am just learning the ideas of funk drumming :)

Wow does it allow space to cut loose...if you want.
Nice job, it's an easy track to get your funk on to. A good practice tool as well!
Thanks Larry, & yes, this track was chosen specifically because you can play very simply along with a click version, or go for all out glory with the full track & embrace that sea of accent / syncopation opportunities :) Gratifying & attainable for the beginner, but super challenging for the professional player too if desired.

As a side point, I've lifted the bass track slightly just to make "hooking in" a little easier. Such a clever bass line, & I love how the intensity is ramped up as the song progresses. If I was to give one piece of advice on this, it's really listen to that bass line!

Yowsers!

Just one question, which I didn't see covered in the rules, as a relative n00b, do I get to enter in the n00b category and in the any amateur category, or are entries limited to one per person?

And is Straya included in the "within reason" part of anywhere in the world?
Straya's fine, Antarctic isn't! I've included your point about multiple entries in the text. Please keep all entries in the category that best applies to you.

Wooh! So I have about two months to come up with drum parts. This is soo nerve wracking yet exciting! Amazing Andy! Can't wait to see what the other drummers come up with. Also is it ok to create a thread posting practice clips and ideas for the competition using this track?
Well, I'd be looking to put in something as soon as possible. Remember, the sooner you enter, the more voting exposure you get, & that's an extra opportunity to get into the final judging!

As for running a thread - yes, by all means, but please use the competition page as the source / reference for the audio links. I'm not overly keen on the audio files being posted outside of the competition framework, unless it's attached to a video. I know Yolanda is fairly guarded in this respect.

Woooo the voting ends on my birthday. Cannot wait to try and dig into this track although I am just learning the ideas of funk drumming :)
That's great, & I'm sure there's an entry category that's representative of your experience. The chances of winning this competition are fairly high. Last year, we got 30 entries. I'm hoping for more this year, but I doubt we're talking 100's. As competitions go, those are very very good odds, plus there's the Evans snare kit prizes too!

Hi Andy,

I'm going to give this my best shot. I've not had the pleasure of trying a Guru yet, but this is too tempting to pass up. I've downloaded the track, and will begin working on it straight away.

Thanks for your effort in this.

Best,
Jonathan
Excellent Jonathan! Chances of winning are high, great prizes, fun music - what's not to like :)

Great competition Andy,

If I could figure out how to enter I would (I'm hopeless when it comes to recording/uploading)

However, I'll follow everyones entries with interest.

What's the ruling on electronic drums? Does that cheapen it a bit? ;) P.S. I'm really enjoying the track.

What's the ruling on electronic drums? Does that cheapen it a bit? ;) P.S. I'm really enjoying the track.
Noooo. electronic drums are just great, & most welcome. It just establishes a greater need for a lovely acoustic snare drum :)

What I don't get is what's the benefit of multiple entries?
I've been asked by a number of people, & I can't see why not, although I personally think it's fruitless.

I think you did a great job! Very minor things I thought:
-It's a lot of text, maybe a short and informative overview would have been helpful? It is clear though.
-The "like" popup didn't work on my computer, it said something about blocked site when I pressed "like", but maybe it's my firefox preferences...?
-At the bottom of the page it says
"It is essential that you visit the competition page on our website to download the play along sound files & read the full competition conditions before"
but isn't that what I've just done when I got there?

I hope for thousands of entries! And yes, I'm gonna enter too, I haven't heard the track yet but I'm positive :).
I think you'll love the track - so many possibilities.
The "like" popup not working doesn't bother me so much unless it gets in the way of voting numbers later on. As there's no entries yet, it's difficult to test, but I did a dummy run yesterday & it worked fine.

As for the apparently pointless instruction to visit a page you're already visiting, that sits on a landing page which is embedded into the website competition page. That landing page also sits on Facebook & other platforms, hence the instruction. Confused? - I certainly was :(

Great competition Andy,

If I could figure out how to enter I would (I'm hopeless when it comes to recording/uploading)

However, I'll follow everyones entries with interest.
I'm useless on it too, but I've learned to work through such things. Thanks for the support, it's appreciated :)

This is really awesome and I can't believe you only had thirty entrants last time. I'm not one who usually would participate in a competition but I would love to support this effort-I love Guru drums and want to see it thrive. I don't really have any realistic expectations to win but it sounds like it will be fun in a creative musical way-so it isn't just a competition of chops but creativity too? That is an awesome idea to even the playing field, and that is a challenge I like too. Kudos to "Brainiac" Andy.

why do the short with click and the longer with click show the same time of 6:10

so it isn't just a competition of chops but creativity too?
Creativity, musicality, interpretation, groove, dynamics, are all at the top of the list. "Chops" just help you get there, or not, depending on your choices. The selection of the 4 category winners is down to Yolanda, so it's worth bearing in mind you'll be judged by a bassist, not a drummer. She respects chops for sure. She plays with some of the worlds most talented drummers almost weekly, she's seen it all before, so creativity is likely to get her attention more than chops I suspect.

why do the short with click and the longer with click show the same time of 6:10
Ah, you got me Grunt :( A slight mistake on my part. The tracks are much shorter than that, it's just that I saved a file of that length. To avoid confusion (& several minutes of silence at the end of the track) I'll rework those today.

There's an amount of silence at the end of the full version, maybe at the end of
the shorter one as well? They probably forgot to match the length of the audio
tracks with the bounce selection in the DAW...?
Ah, we posted at the same time :) I cut these down in iMovie, then just exported the audio file, but I forgot to trim the video file length they were attached to.

I've had a listen to the track. My my...fantastic piece of music. Victory or no victory this is going to be a very instructive exercise for me personally :)

Thanks for giving us a chance to win something that is financially out of most peoples reach!

Hi Andy,

Great you're doing this again, I hope it will be a big success!
Cool track BTW.

Eric

Ok, download audio tracks now reworked to correct file length. I can't work out why they won't list in the order I want them to, but that's a very minor point.

I've had a listen to the track. My my...fantastic piece of music. Victory or no victory this is going to be a very instructive exercise for me personally :)

Thanks for giving us a chance to win something that is financially out of most peoples reach!
Thank you, & this is exactly the attitude I'm hoping for. Win or not, it's a great thing to be a part of, & hopefully learn something along the way. There is a great chance of winning something though :)

Hi Andy,

Great you're doing this again, I hope it will be a big success!
Cool track BTW.

Eric
Thank you Eric :) Are you having a go?

Thank you Eric :) Are you having a go?

I fear my complete lack of any drumming or music related skills would be completely inappropriate :).

And I would feel guilty because of 2 'reasons' you already know ;-).

Back