Cover Band song selections

drummer-russ

Gold Member
I know not all of you play in cover bands but I am curious about a few things for those that are in cover bands.

In your answers it would help if you gave an idea of what sound or genre your band is into, though I am sure we can tell mostly from the answers.

1. Which set do you consider the one to play your best songs? (I know it may vary but is there a general idea on that?)
2. What songs have you found that can really get a set started?
3. Do you ever repeat songs regularly?

If you could add just a bit about why you chose some of the songs it might help bridge the genre gap too.

I realize there is no formula and things may change venue to venue etc. Just looking for some info on what bands are doing these days.

Q1:
Every gig is different, and sometimes you have to judge the crowd's demeanor in order to know what to play. For example, if they're sitting down eating, don't play the most danceable songs! It's smart to have a set list, but it's smarter to be flexible.

Q2:
Again, it depends on the crowd, and which set. There are some songs that are crowd-pleasers no matter where you put them, and people will always get up and dance - Honky Tonk Woman, Mustang Sally, What I Like About You, etc.

Q3:
We try not to, at least not for the same crowd unless they insist on something they heard earlier. If they don't, then we don't.

Bermuda

We have always tried to start and end a set with are strongest/most impressive songs.. the ole first and last impression. I agree with Bermuda so much depends on the venue/crowd I would not play the same set at a Rock scene bar that I would play say at The Villages in Florida (its an over 55 community).. I can say... just being at the Villages the older crowd responded to Seger's "Old time Rock n Roll" extremely well. Up north we had a regular bar we played once a month and there was an older lady that bugged us to play this song every chance she could.. we learned it for her and the reaction in every club we played was great.

For rock club's I always liked playing Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi and any Metalica usually gets a real good response to just name a couple.
AVIOD repeats, extend songs if needed before repeating any..example do a 10 minute version of Whipping Post..extend what "I like about you" by adding R.O.C.K in the USA its basically the same song.. music wise.

Try to thow in some songs from the following bands:

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Beatles
Bob seger
Eagles
Elton John
GnR
Zep
Skynard
Rod Stewart
Rolling Stones
The Who
Van Halen

Which songs are up to you, but most people like like these bands.
Definitely do Mustang Sally!

Just a suggestion, you have to be ready to play for your audience.

Thanks for the replies guys. Bermuda I really appreicate you commenting. Lots of respect here.

Braincramp, So you played the Villages? My sister (a fair bit older than me, lives there and I have been there a few times. Seen some decent bands there too. they love live music for sure. Did you play in one of the squares? Also like the first last impression thing.

Nice list coolhand. I think we are in the ballpark.

I asked about repeat because this new band I am in has a few members of a previous band that did that. I am not real keen on repeats.

In the older days when clubs paid decent money they expected music from 9 to 1 or 10 to 2, expecting 4 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks or 3 60 minute sets with 20 minute breaks,and you had to finish the night even if you were playing to a waitress and a bartender, now I have noticed that we usually do a 45 minute opener set a 1 hour or a little over 2nd set and a 45 minute 3rd set. We save the the absolute best songs and the dance songs for the 2nd set because that is when there is the most people.

As far as repeating goes if you have 3 45 minute sets you can repeat the first one as a fourth set,usually the 1 st set people are gone by the 4th set,or like you so much they don't care what you play,or are so drunk they won't remember.

In the older days when clubs paid decent money they expected music from 9 to 1 or 10 to 2, expecting 4 45 minute sets with 15 minute breaks or 3 60 minute sets with 20 minute breaks,and you had to finish the night even if you were playing to a waitress and a bartender, now I have noticed that we usually do a 45 minute opener set a 1 hour or a little over 2nd set and a 45 minute 3rd set. We save the the absolute best songs and the dance songs for the 2nd set because that is when there is the most people.

As far as repeating goes if you have 3 45 minute sets you can repeat the first one as a fourth set,usually the 1 st set people are gone by the 4th set,or like you so much they don't care what you play,or are so drunk they won't remember.

You cannot be saying you actually played in front of an audience who was intoxicated? Kidding, I am not sure I have ever played in front of anyone who was sober.

Back