'Justified' fans? - Ludwig

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
Last week's episode ('Raw Deal'?).

Actually head mentioned in a conversation between Boyd Crowder and one of the big pot dealers in Harlan (don't remember the character):

"....I remember this old Ludwig drum kit with a calfskin head on the bass drum....."

To me that's the first time I'd even heard something that most viewers would consider esoteric, not knowing exactly what all that meant. Ate least in a passing conversation.

Jim

I'm probably showing my age here but I think I'm going to need Cliffs Notes to understand your post.

Sorry, the sentences are missing key verbs - subject -r articles - conjunctions ....so as to be incomprehensible. I'm thinking a late night post-drinking blurb?

But I'll try - you overheard some pot smoker ('head') mention a calf-skinned old Ludwig and thought 'hey its weird (or esoteric) for a layperson to even know what that is?'

Product placement.

Same reason the Ludwig logo is seen in the opening credits of "Storage Wars" and how DW drum sets seem to end up in background of TV commercials and TV shows.

Someone in their respective marketing departments has been very busy over the last few years.

I know what you mean, and not brag, but I was mentioned in an episode of "Still Standing" (CBS, c2006) along with Al. It's one thing for him to be mentioned, but really a deliberate stretch to throw my name in there as well! A less than casual Al fan would have no idea of the significance!

Bermuda

Jeremy Bender & opentune

Lemme 'splain....

There is a cable TV series called Justified starring Timothy Olyphant and a bunch of other talented actors.

Raylan Givens is a Federal marshal that is forced to return from Miami to his hometown of Harlan County Kentucky after a shooting incident which has been defended by being 'justified' although with some questions unanswered. Coming home he must interact with various and nefarious characters he grew up with including his criminal father (killed last season).

This was a conversation between two characters who are drug dealers, one older one reminiscing, who brings up the Ludwig blurb.I should have set that up better. Especially for those of us outside the US

I just thought it was cool that the character mentions both Ludwig and a calfskin head in that conversation.
Sorry it was cryptic.

Jim

Well I thought it was a great story. Thanks for sharing.

As someone who recently became reacquainted with calfskin heads on a vintage Round Badge kit, I know where the writer of that script was coming from.
After a few weeks the nostalgia did wear off though. I installed modern heads. The past is fun to visit from time to time but there is a lot to be said for modern technology. I did keep the calfskin heads for future use. :)

Got it. Kind of reminds me of an episode of Cheers where "Woody"' is telling a story about how his Grandmother bought a set of Ludwig drums.

I know what you mean, and not brag, but I was mentioned in an episode of "Still Standing" (CBS, c2006) along with Al. It's one thing for him to be mentioned, but really a deliberate stretch to throw my name in there as well! A less than casual Al fan would have no idea of the significance!

Bermuda

Don't be so modest. Your credits also include The Simpsons. One of my favorite shows.

Didn't you actually have a line in that episode, or am I misremembering?

Back