Future of music

You are right on. I am sorry but the musicianship I hear today in modern rock is far superior to the stuff I grew up with. It is only going to get better and better I think. You have young kids on youtube that can play circles around the drummers of the 70's and 80's. All the new Rock bands that I listen to now are amazing. I don't even listen to any of the old stuff that much anymore.

Case in point: KISS

However, I think there was some amazing songwriting back in the 60s and 70s. Back then you had simple yet affective guys like John Fogerty writing hit after hit.

Thinking about the strong musicianship these days ... I'm not sure the level of Art Blakey's Messengers' A Night in Tunisia has ever been bettered. I'm not sure that's even possible!

The top jazz players have had unbelievable skills ever since Papa Jo. Hard rock musicianship has progressed plenty, though.

Agree with everyone about the excess spit polish.

It's very formal, in a corporate way - like slick office decor. It's as though all that production is like a wall between the music and me ... like the music's talking at me rather than to me.

My theory is ... as cities become more crowded, individuals build protective walls around themselves - a hard shell that we hide inside. That's how I see slick production - like a beautiful, hard shiny shell. Thing is, a lot of us would rather see the messy soft thing inside :)

The trendy type of metal around at the moment, 'metalcore' (if they still call it that) is rubbish. The production is so pristine, so over the top that it contradicts the essence of what metal is all about - reaching into the depths of primal human emotion and bringing out fear, adrenaline and excitement. When you quantize and sample-replace the drums, falsify the vocals and polish it to a showroom shine, you lose all of that. I'd encourage anyone who doubts metal to look further into some of the real stuff, you might discover what the modern crap is missing.

i know exactly what you are talking about, my friend is a huge fan of this genre and every time he shows me a "new" band it always sounds the same, sound and structure wise. But not all metal bands that use the computer are bad. If you look at certain sub-genres some bands use the computer effects to their advantage in creating different sounds and textures, like the band Periphery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTICUhCqEaY&ob=av3e They use a lot of effects, but it works for them.

On the subject of the music industry, i really don't like how its going, with people just downloading stuff for free and all the venues closing. I don't like to download music unless I really only like 1 song off the album. i go the opposite route and try to get all the artists albums on vinyl, which is having quite the resurgence and a lot more bands are putting albums out on it. Modern music is not all bad, you just have to look really hard to find it.

Originally bands toured to promote their album and there was no real money coming from those, it was all record sales. I remember all day Winter Fests with the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Rare Earth and Savoy Brown and many more for a price of $5 for the whole day. At those prices there was little or no profit and generally the record company footed the bill for everything.
Now it has turned around completely and your revenue will come from the live tours, hence the exorbitant price for a show these days. I think it may have actually started to turn that way just as cassette recording was available to all.
Where it goes from here is hard to say but it has also allowed many artists to get their work out there and noticed, so it is a bit of a double edged sword.

I don't like to download music unless I really only like 1 song off the album. i go the opposite route and try to get all the artists albums on vinyl, which is having quite the resurgence and a lot more bands are putting albums out on it. Modern music is not all bad, you just have to look really hard to find it.
If I owned/ran a music company I'd use what you just said as one of the bases for my business model.

I'd let people download the artists for free but create "collectors" vinyl versions which would sound better (because they wouldn't have the limitations of digital media) and be desirable in and of themselves because of the added art/lyrics/notes, etc., and those would be what I would sell.

Hmm, maybe it's time to find a partner with some money....

i know exactly what you are talking about, my friend is a huge fan of this genre and every time he shows me a "new" band it always sounds the same, sound and structure wise. But not all metal bands that use the computer are bad. If you look at certain sub-genres some bands use the computer effects to their advantage in creating different sounds and textures, like the band Periphery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTICUhCqEaY&ob=av3e They use a lot of effects, but it works for them.

I like Periphery, they've got some different stuff going on and the drumming sounds more realistic. I'm referring more to this kind of rubbish (I might actually like the song if it wasn't so artificial) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_E8x15wkAo

Back