Drum Clinic at GC yesterday with Jeff Friedl

PeteN

Silver Member
HI Everyone....having never heard of Jeff friedl before this past tuesday I went to a drum clinic yesterday at GC in Grand Rapids, Michigan in hopes of learning new things and obviously the chance to see a pro drummer play which is always a treat.

For those that don't know who he is, here's a wiki link about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Friedl

My thoughts on the clinic, he played along to songs from various artists he plays with but no solos and that's cool with me either way. His playing was very hard and heavy where a pair of sticks get destroyed in just a few songs and even the drum heads but he's very solid and tight.

He talked in between songs and one thing he mentioned was that he plays so much with different artists in a given week that the back sides of his fingers get bloody and that got me thinking how does a pro drummer with a music degree end up with injury to fingers? The bands he was playing to was ASHES dIVIDE, DEVO, and PUSCIFER. These are heavy bands he plays with currently but I am wondering is that normal to have good technique yet cause bleeding to your hands from repeated heavy playing? I would think you could play hard yet still be loose enough to keep friction between stick and fingers to a minimum or am I wrong?

Anyway, other than that he's a great guy and also mentioned he had a jazz and salsa background as well so he seems extremely well rounded and talented yet the heavy playing with the bleeding brought out my curiosity regarding technique with his current bands.

Back