Sharing Your Own Drums At Gigs

I have to admit it's funny that in a thread about how to teach left-handers most people are of the opinion; 'play right-handed, it's easier for sitting in'. Then you read this thread and hear how the majority of people don't like anyone using their gear.

Mmmmmh...

I've had to share/provide on occasion, and I set all my gear with memory locks--ALL stands, arms, floor tom legs too. My cymbal stands have those hose clamps (to the tube size) where I have the leg span at, and all my placements are marked on my rug.

People can move stuff, because it takes a minute or two to put everything back anyway.

I make sure it is known to the promoter that every drummer MUST use their own snare, cymbals, sticks, & pedal(s) (and anything else they want to use).
No exceptions.

You don't bring your stuff, you don't play. Sorry.

It's also not MY job to contact the bands/drummers, it's the promoter/venue/gig bookers responsibility.
However, if you do have the other bands email addresses, a nice email stating what you have available and also what is expected on their end doesn't hurt--and covers you since they will know beforehand, no excuses.

It also helps (in keeping an eye on your stuff) by helping the others along in getting set to play. YOU can keep an eye on what's coming and going.
Nothing gets messed up if you aren't "on the sidelines".
Also, it's YOUR GEAR so if someone is abusive, confront them and the band/promoter. At the very least, they would never be able to use your gear again.
Might be a big deal if you are the main draw, and they are playing in front of your people to gain exposure.

You don't have to be a prick about stuff, but you shouldn't have to be a pushover either.

Good luck!!!

Couldn't agree more man! I have had to use my DW collectors as a back-line kit on quiet a few occasions, it is a little uneasy but the same conditions, sticks snare kicks and cymbals. Im not going to be a prick and charge them. i said yes i expect my heads to get hit. if they break anything thats a different story. It just sucks because it is more work for us providing the kit. keeping an eye on things by helping every other bands set up and still being the one to set up and pack down.

Back