Thoughts on Developing and Creativity...

drumsmith

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum world, but I have been playing awhile and lately have been thinking about what makes for a creative drummer (or musician)...
Check out my mini-article...I'm interested to see what others with similar interests may have to say about these ideas.
Its a constant work in progress of course, but I'm just looking for the best way to go about using my time effectively!

Enjoy.
http://drumtolife.blogspot.com/2011/02/deep-thoughts-pt-1.html

...just thought I should clarify. I'm NOT shooting for self-promotion here, no, no...just looking for feedback and others' perspectives on this subject (I get excited about this sort of thing...want to discuss ideas!)

bsm

Your article is a little difficult for me to read- it needs a pretty substantial edit for your points to be clear. I do appreciate the Billy Cobham clip, though.

Have to agree with todd here, definitely felt like I was reading an essay for a college course rather than a thought invoking blog. The content was all there, and you make some great points.

I would say work on making it a little more fun to read, since the purpose of the article is to showcase the creativity and fun in drumming

Keep up the work though, may just subscribe to see what else you got ;)

I have to take exception with your first premise, which is that drums are music and if they're not good than nothing the rest of the band can do will save the music.

The first visual I got in my mind was my step dad whistling (he's really good at it). No drumming, of course, but very musical and very melodic. It's true that if he were to transfer that musicality to guitar and play with a crappy drummer, that that drummer would take the whole thing down. I believe that is the point you were trying to make.

But conversely, you can take exceptional drumming and put it to crappy or ho-hum music (a very subjective thing in itself) and I won't want to listen to it. There are tons of bands and even genres where despite the brilliance of the drummers, there's not much musically there to draw me in and hold my attention.

Beyond that, I got eye fatigue looking at white text on a black background so I didn't finish.

Thanks for the input!
To clear a couple things up:
@ Bryan....you kindof nailed on the head...This was actually a paper I threw together for my writing class. I am a college student...
We were supposed to create a "persuasive/inspirational/informal" paper on a topic of our choosing...Topic was easy enough, and from there I just started ranting
...when I get some time, I'll fix things up to make it more fun...definitely!

Good point though...its a lot easier to read on Word than that blog...I changed the color to something that's a little better

@Mike
Yeah I see what you mean...basically I meant to say that rhythm seems to be that magic "glue" that ties everything together...even more than bass. i.e. rhythm (if applied correctly) has the ability to transform your step dad's already great whistling into an artistic masterpiece.
You know that feeling when you're listening to a song that starts with just a melody...then all of a sudden BOOM!, the beat enters and you think "whoah.." ...speechless with tingles? That's what I mean.

bsm

Back