So, I finally gave in...

fmass92

I bought a double bass pedal! I have no real desire to use it the band I'm in, but pure curiosity (and a Guitar Center sale) pushed me over the edge. Set it up today and it made me realize one thing...I suck...a lot =(. I feel like I've never played drums before, it just completely throws me off.

What are some tips to get started off the right way?

I played one for years. They are fun to mess around with but I don't really like that speed metal playing so I basically ditched mine and just used single. But it can make the ends of songs or solos very interesting!

Which brand did you get? :)

I would have got the DW 9000 if you were gunna pay that much for a pedal i have played both i personaly like the 9000 so much more but thats just my opinion.

The 9000 is almost double the cost of an Elim.

At least according to Musicians Friend,
Pearl: http://drums-percussion.musiciansfr...fter-Eliminator-Double-Pedal-Right?sku=448274
DW: http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/DW-9002PC-Double-Pedal?sku=443252

Hard to overlook if you're on a budget.

I'm guessing you mean the Demon Drive (closer in price to the DW).....I tried both too and rolled the other way.

Honestly though, for a while there i tried to get accents going, like you can with your hands. Accented paradiddles and things like that are really hard with the feet - for me, anyhow hehe.

a double bass pedal can be a great accessory to your kit. just like in everything starting off is gonna be rocky. now the double bass isn't just for fast hard core drumming, a lot of artists have adapted the double bass to there unique styles, artists such as neil peart and danny seraphine have used the double bass to vamp up their playing. stick with it, it'll definitely boost you my friend.

Ah! another thing I just thought of: I like to play with my hi hats at a certain distance away from the snare and the kit in general, and the double bass pedal kind of edged it out a few inches, which threw my whole game off. I like things rather compact, and with the snare stand feet and the double pedal and the hi hat pedal I just could never get comfortable with it. Much happier now with my DW3000 single pedal. :)

I'm one of the freaks of nature in the drum world....I don't like the 9000...

I don't either. I prefer the 5000 line. The 9000's seem way to bulky for me.

To the original question:

The issue is the muscles in your left foot are not used to playing a pedal like your right foot is, and it can take some time to get your left foot up to speed.

In the practice room, away from the band, trying playing through your set list with your left foot playing all of what your right foot normally does. Yes, it will sound lame at first, but it will help develop the strength.

From there, you can get into doing exercises like RL with hands RL with feet.
RLRL with hands, RLRL with feet, trying to keep it as smooth and consistent as possible.

It will take a while, and it will be a slow and frustrating experience for a while.

I bought a double bass pedal! I have no real desire to use it the band I'm in, but pure curiosity (and a Guitar Center sale) pushed me over the edge.

I did the same thing, except mine is a DW7000. It has no application to what I am doing with a 17 jazz band, but I just wanted to try it. I do, however like to just use the single part with my kit.

An emloyee of mine is dating a rock drummer who uses a double pedal (and is almost young enough to be my son) and he is going to come over and teach me how to use it.

I bought a double pedal as well but since I have never used one and just wanted one to mess around with, I sprung for a DW 3000. Not a bad double pedal for the money.

I'm weak in my left leg and like DrumEatDrum said, it's gonna take some time and practice. I doubt I will ever use it a gig but it's something I wanted to check out.

It is a way to build up my left leg muscles anyway.

I too am curious regarding double pedals. I have been reading Virgil's new book and it is great. If I can take a month off buying snares and cymbals I will buy a double pedal. The Yamaha version is good.

I like my Iron Cobra.I did try the rest but I feel that the Tama is just stupid fast.Before that it was my Speed kings and "real"double bass.
Start slow and play everything you play with the right,play with the left.Practice playing left handed and right handed as well as open handed.Get a copy of Stick Control.by George Lawrence Stone and play those exercises with your hands then feet,then with feet and hands.Acuracy if the word here,independence and THEN speed.Remember ...some of the best playing I have ever heard wasn't all that fast.Good luck..its going to take time,but time well spent.

Steve B

Back