WIP Spotted Gum

stevec1234

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share this with you all, It is one of the newer shells I have built. It is a 14x7 spotted gum straight grain shell with a special exotic veneer. It will be getting a satin oil finish, mini tubes, 2.3 hoops and a R-class throw off. I hope you like it. I have a bunch of cool stuff which will be going into the shell presses in the next few days in sizing 12" 13" and 14" i'll post some pics once they are complete. This is a sneak peak for now.

Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 189
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 190
Very interesting. Lovely grain pattern. Where are you based Steve? And can you give a bit more info about the shell construction. Cheers, KIS.

Hey mate, I am based in Sydney Australia. With a straight grain shell the veneer is layed up in the press in the same order that the veneer was sliced off the wood giving a similar sound to a solid shell. I also do cross laminated shells, with the cross laminated shell the veneer in a shell comes from the same tree (excluding the exotic veneers when used) I use a dry mold system and use a special glue in make sure no water/moisture is introduced into the shell.

Cheers

Thanks Steve, there's a few guys in your corner of the globe who I think would be very interested in your stuff, especially a certain percussion snare collecting nut. Wy, where are you mate? 50 snares is nowhere near enough!

here is another spotted gum shell i pull out of the press the other day. 12x7.25 with a blue burl veneer.

Attachments

• blueburl.jpg
    blueburl.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 91
Back