Drumming Help

Moonmanxs

Hello there, my name is Dan and i recently invested in a drumkit, I have a few questions i want to ask, First of:

My drumkit came with snare drum, hi-hat, two mounted toms a floor tom, 16 " crash cymbal and bass pedal. Is there any other cymbals i should invest in?? The drumbeats im looking to practise are Mainly greenday Songs.

Second, IS there any tips for a new drummer, all of them would be great :)

Thanks

As far as cymbals go you could add as many as you wish or learn on what you have for now. As for tips you could read this forum all day long and still not learn enough. I know that seems vague but this forum is a wealth of knowledge and I would suggest reading a lot.

Sounds like your drum kit is pretty functional as is. You might want to think about adding a ride cymbal, but other than that, you're set.

General tips:

1. Have tons of fun.
2. Perfect Practice makes Perfect
3. Practice, practice, practice
4. Invest in a metronome at some point
5. Have tons and tons of fun

Hello, you may love Greenday, but I also encourage you just to play any other bands that you may love and even others. If you learn different styles and grooves and feels of different drummers, it'll be more advantageous than if you only learn one!

I've never sold/traded in a piece of gear ever. The more drumsets you have the merrier! If possible I would save up for a top of the line cymbal, even used. They sound so much better than the mid price lines, IMO.

I agree with the others, get a decent ride cymbal and you should be fine.
What cymbals do you have now?

A few tips for ya...
1. Practice
2. Learn a few rudiments
3. Have fun
4. Work hard
5. Keep on goin', no matter what people say.

Hey at the moment i just have a 16" crash cymbal/

Another problem im having is dropping my drumsticks, i know its tupid but i cant see to get a proper grip whne im drumming quite fast :(

Hey at the moment i just have a 16" crash cymbal/

Another problem im having is dropping my drumsticks, i know its tupid but i cant see to get a proper grip whne im drumming quite fast :(

I'd recommend getting a teacher, in order to help you with your grip and technique.

My school does drumming lessons at £60 a term, is that good?

Depends on the teacher and how much instruction time that translates to. The most important thing is finding a good teacher, who motivates you, teaches well, and suits your needs. I would ask people how the school's teacher is and such.

Also, if you tell us where you live, perhaps some people here can recommend instructors.

you said you're saving for a ride, which will complete the primary 3 cymbals: hi-hats, ride and crash. i think a secondary crash can be extremely useful. something that is not of the same pitch as your current crash. from there it's up to you really. if you are just learning though, it's usually best to have less "things" to hit on. big set ups can be overwhelming or intimidating.

and... the more you play [correctly], the less you will drop your sticks.

I play all Green Day too, and you'll need a good ride. Get another crash when you get the chance because many of their songs are very fast and you'll get too tired too quickly if you have to keep moving your arm to only one.

Another tip that I learned from playing them, don't just do the eighth notes. For example, listen to American Idiot. You'll hear it's open hi-hat so a lot of people will tell you it doesn't matter if you go 16th notes or eighth because the sound lasts...it's not like one chick and that's it (when the hi-hat's closed). Doing one hand 16th notes will definitely take a while to get used to, and it'll be very very painful in the beginning. Just keep trying...it'll take a while to get it steady...and don't give up like I did.

Hello, you may love Greenday, but I also encourage you just to play any other bands that you may love and even others. If you learn different styles and grooves and feels of different drummers, it'll be more advantageous than if you only learn one!

I've thought about this a lot, but when I try to play other songs I like I get bored. But I look at it positively... Tre does sooo many different beats, from amazing tom stuff (Longview) to really fast hi-hat/ride with awesome fills (Basket Case) to slower songs like 21 Guns. And then you have pretty slow songs like Give Me Novacaine with cool bass and snare.

I'm not saying he shouldn't try something else, I just wanted to say that because it was brought up and I was just thinking about it the other day.

I really need some help in creating some beats, im rubbish with making them, all mine jsut sound excatly the same, any tips ??

Let's start with the basic paradiddle. RLRR LRLL. Take that concept, from the hands, and apply them to one hand and one foot. Keep the quarter note going with the opposite hand on the hi-hat, bell, etc. Slowly, then gradually speeding up to your comfort level. Not only does this make for a sweet groove, but it can be a great fill. Take your time with it. You'll get it!

Don't stop with the paradiddle! Take many different rudiments and apply them between your hand and kick drum. Be creative!

I really need some help in creating some beats, im rubbish with making them, all mine jsut sound excatly the same, any tips ??

Yes...if you want to make new beats (not that you're "creating" anything new), just put the bass pedal in different places. A good drummer can play a regular 4/4 beat and put the bass on any note on just improv. And then you can mess around with where you want the snare (but keeping the beat) and the same with the hi-hat.

On the toms, you'd just have to figure that out yourself. so many possibilities.

Or you could just listen to a song...

Ive actually managed to create some nice sounding beats and fills now, and my band is happy with my progress thanks a lot guys :)

Back