George Lawrence here!

GeorgeLawrence

Hello all,

I figured this was the best part of this forum to post this in. I'm not looking for any discussion about me in particular but a couple of my former students told me they were looking for me on drummerworld so I figured I'd better get hip to this forum. I would like to hear from any of my former students who run into me here and would like to post what you are doing on my website.

I am currently touring with veteran rockers Poco. I've had the drum chair with them for about five years and we play about fifty gigs a year around the country and Europe and I do other gigs and sessions as well. I am also the new publisher and editor of Not So Modern Drummer Magazine. I bought the magazine from Bill Ludwig. I also am involved in the Famous Drum Company ( We are the builders of the 2x4 drum you might have seen).

I am a North Texas State University Alumni and a lot of my students from Mississippi went to NTSU as well. Among those students was Keith Carlock who I taught all through his junior high and senior high years at my shop in Jackson Mississippi. He was a badass at that young age too.

I've had a lot of people ask about specific techniques and patterns he does and thought that could be something I could offer here. I can give some insight into what he and I call "The Big Mississippi Beat". :) I didn't teach him ALL of the technical things he is doinf. But I might have influenced his feel just because I'm a fatback groove/feel drummer too. He definitely created his own niche and his own licks but I can understand and explain what he is doing. He might have gotten the left hand thing from me; I hold mine at the very back of the stick but the right hand is all Ed Soph's doing!

I just saw Keith several weeks ago with Steely Dan in Akron Ohio ( where my George's Drum Shop is). He went on an exercise and diet regimen and lost about sixty pounds and was looking quite fit. Skinnier than he was in high school. Might have something to do with that good looking girl he just married. His dad just passed away not too long ago and I got to reminisce with him about his great dad, Henry, who was always so supportive of Keith's music career.

Anyway, I won't babble on. I don't have a lot of time to spend on forums these days with the magazine and the shop and the gigs and all, but I think this is a great place for me to check in and see who's been hunting me down ( do I owe you money?)

My email is [email protected] if you want to get in touch with me quick.

thanks, GL

Cool welcome to the forum. So what is "The Big Mississippi Beat"? My drum teacher mentioned it once but havent found much on it. Thanks

Back