What would you pay for this kit?

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

My bassist buddy is starving to death (literally) in this crappy recession, and is selling his Sonor Force 5-piece drum set. I'd buy it for the listed $350, but have nowhere to store it, and am a bit short on $$$ to buy it, as rainy season is coming up, as I'm a contractor.

I've played on the kit, and it sounds awesome, despite no reso heads on the toms. How much do you think it's actually worth, and should I step out on a plank and buy it for $350? I have NO room for it, but hate to see my bud starve.
Major impasse here.

http://chico.craigslist.org/msg/1404897299.html

Cheers,
C. P.

If he has the resonant side rims and tension rods, and those cymbals are really worth $400 new and not cracked, then yes, it's probably worth $350 all together, a music store might sell it for more.

Depends on what exactly those cymbals are.

For the drums alone, no way.

For the drums, plus some entry level cymbals, it's fair price.

If those are quality cymbals, then it's a steal.

My bassist buddy is starving to death (literally) in this crappy recession

Forget the kit. Buy him some food. Does he need a place to crash so he can not pay rent and afford to eat? Maybe buy the kit from him for $350, knowing it's worth less than that, just to help him out.

I know of a family that really was (yes, literally) starving to death because of the husband losing his job, them not having savings, not being able to get another job. They had to finally move out of their apartment after selling all of their stuff on craigslist for months. He finally started begging on freeway ramps and in front of supermarkets, just to keep his family fed. Finally, somebody who knew him saw him begging and took his family in to their *cozy* 2-bedroom house. Why they didn't ask people they knew for help is beyond me. I'd like to think that if my family ever got in that situation that we'd have friends to help us out, which I know that we do.

Make sure he's okay. For real.

Let the cat sell the drums to someone else. His drums, his money. If you want to help him out, buy him food. Have him over "once a week" for a nice dinner and conversation.

Back