What kind of drum is this.

I got this drum in Guatemala when I was there a few months ago but I don't know what its called. It is tuned by the pieces of wood in the ropes. It originally had two metal wires on top of it but I took them off because I think it sounds better without it.

Attachments

• IMG_2831.JPG
    IMG_2831.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    651 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    374 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2834.JPG
    IMG_2834.JPG
    473 KB · Views: 271
Dude,

Looks like a goatskin Tumbadora:

Tumbadora -- A Cuban version of an African drum, consisting (originally) of a hollowed, barrel-shaped log or hand-carved trunk of wood with a tied or tacked-on rawhide head. Later, a system of tuneable hardware was added. The tumbadora is also referred to as the conga drum, and its predecessors include the tambores de conga, used in early comparsas, as well as the makuta drums of Yoruba origin.

Hope that helps,
C. P.

It is the principal drum in the music of the Garifuna from Belize. Depending on it's role within the ensemble it could either be the primero that performs the more syncopated call/response with the singers and dancers or the segundo, which plays a fixed support rhythm.

The music and rhythms are deadly good and hypnotic! recordings by Andy Palacio and the Garifuna Collective, or the group Umalali are great places to start.

Back