My Linear book just got a wonderful 5-star review on Amazon

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi folks,

I know this will come off as self-congratulatory, but I wanted to share how thrilled I am.

My book is on Amazon here: http://amzn.eu/4EI9JLv

And I just saw this review:

Currently an MBA student in the US with about 2 years of self-taught drumming experience. Having discovered Jonathon through youtube and found his lessons extremely helpful, I went ahead and made this purchase. Something refreshing about this book (with my business mindset) is that Jonathon outlines off the bat where we are going (the aim of the book) and how we are to approach each lesson.

I am currently working through this book and it has been a major aid in helping to order and structure my playing without monotonous drills. This book is refreshing, humorous(at the right times), and provides a substantial philosophy (a why to what we do), which as with all forms of art is vital. I highly recommend this book for all skill levels. You will need a very basic grasp of rhythmic notation.

I wouldn't usually post this sort of thing, but for those that don't know, I am totally self-contained as an artist. I run my own record label for my own musical releases, and I run my own publishing company, which I started for this book. I wrote it, edited and formatted it, produced the front and back artwork, notated it, and published it entirely myself, and I am so thrilled that people all over the world are not only enjoying it, but improving their drumming because of it.

Thanks for all the support along the way on this forum, too.

What really blows my mind is that I was able to do this entirely on my own. I am a nobody in terms of fame or worldwide success, just a drummer from Nottingham. It just goes to show that hard work and taking a few risks can really pay off in this industry.

Much love guys.

Jonathan

Hell yeah man, awesome stuff! You must feel amazing, continued success to you! Congratulations! Good on ya! (first time saying that, used it right I hope lol)

The only non linear books I ever read where those "choose your own adventure" books where you have to flip through to different pages depending on your choices.

Now I only like picture books and I'm very likely to give your book a 1 star rating due to too many words.

..I wrote it, edited and formatted it, produced the front and back artwork, notated it, and published it entirely myself..

Thats a pretty impressive achievement..

If i may ask, from the moment you started untill the book was ready to be sold, how much time that took..?

Thanks all.

@oldskoolsoul: I can't really remember to be honest. The thing is, I never just decided to write a book, and then plan it all and do it. I started compiling material when I was working on linear playing because I was dissatisfied with what I was working from. Then started putting it together more coherently, to a point that I thought "hey, this is actually ok...".

Once I started actually working on it, perhaps about a year and a half to get the printed version in my hands.

Great videos! The book is a wee bit on the pricey side here in the US (Amazon has it at $69/£50, compared to the £20 at which you've got it priced), but it sounds like it may be worth it. (Not that I have time to work through another book right now--currently getting my butt kicked by "4 Way Coordination"...)

Great videos! The book is a wee bit on the pricey side here in the US (Amazon has it at $69/£50, compared to the £20 at which you've got it priced), but it sounds like it may be worth it. (Not that I have time to work through another book right now--currently getting my butt kicked by "4 Way Coordination"...)

Hi buddy.

That is from a Marketplace seller who has obviously bought it as an import and selling it on. It's available to the US on Amazon.co.uk or eBay for the normal £20gbp plus p&p.

That is from a Marketplace seller who has obviously bought it as an import and selling it on. It's available to the US on Amazon.co.uk or eBay for the normal £20gbp plus p&p.

Figured it was some sort of re-seller markup. Will order from one of those other places when I do... Thanks! And congrats again on the nice review. Always good to get a little recognition for your work.

Figured it was some sort of re-seller markup. Will order from one of those other places when I do... Thanks! And congrats again on the nice review. Always good to get a little recognition for your work.

Thank you, and thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was surprised, as I set the pricing myself and knew that I hadn't got it for sale on .com. Anyway, the guy isn't doing anything illegal as he is selling it used, so can ask for however much he wants. It's annoying, though, that people like you might buy it for that price thinking that's the only option

Back