Cruise ship drummers- any back up gear?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Just curious, what do you bring for spare gear since you don't have a music store available for a thousand miles?
I imagine the 'consumables' that if failed, would ruin the gig.
Sticks, heads, spare snare wires, an extra pedal, perhaps even an extra cymbal or two?

Also, are there any weight or size restrictions when deciding what's necessity vs nice to have?

Thanks

I can't answer your question, but my nephew is currently drumming on a cruise ship around the Mediterranean. Keeps posting photos of Greek beaches, Nice, Monaco, Pisa, Turkey, etc. I'll ask him when I get the chance.

I haven't done that in about ten years, but I never took any extra stuff. If I was going into a new situation where they were providing drums, I'd probably bring an extra clutch, cymbal felts and washers. Drum key. Maybe a bass drum pedal, probably not. And stick bag and cymbals, of course. If their gear is messed up, you can speak to the band leader, cruise director, and/or purser about lining up transportation to the first available music store. There will most likely be opportunities to go to a music store at least once per cruise. If not, you can order what you need and get it delivered to the ship-- talk to the purser about that. They should be paying for anything on the house set that needs to be replaced.

I agree with Todd. Remember that when you board the ship for a contract, you have to take everything that you personally need - clothes, suit, shoes, tuxedo, grooming kit, computer, etc. And of course you need sticks, brushes, headphones (or in-ear monitors) and cymbals. And remember that you have to carry all of this on in one trip!

If the company provides the drums (which they usually do), there will also be extra heads on board for you. They recommend that you bring a pedal, but there will usually be one there.

I had my car in port, so I had some extra gear that I brought on a bit at a time. But most people fly in, so you might not have that luxury.

And - the info above is for the show band, the one that plays the main theater (Broadway-style/Vegas-style) shows, fly-on acts, etc. The party bands often need to supply their own drums.

Jeff

Last edited:
That's helpful info, thanks for the real life tips.

Never been a cruise ship musician, ever, but I imagine I'd bring a pad and demand one of these..

fUIf8U4.jpg

Back