Self doubt...

yeah...one of my goals to myself is to try to be one of the local drummers who people think of first or want to be first when they need someone to fill in. What that requires I do not know.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm trying to do.
The only way I think it can be done is to go and play at a lot of jams.
And get out to local concerts and mingle with other musicians.

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm trying to do.
The only way I think it can be done is to go and play at a lot of jams.
And get out to local concerts and mingle with other musicians.

Ive been doing that a ton. That is the only reason I am at the point where I am right now.
Still working to migrate toward getting in with some of the bigger local groups. Just trying to work my way up the ladder. I guess to feel some sort of accomplishment..

Ive always wanted to be a touring drummer since I was little, but now married with a family, debt, and a normal 8 hr daily job....that dream is kind of far from reality, so being high on the ladder locally is about the closest it can get. lol

Ive been doing that a ton. That is the only reason I am at the point where I am right now.

And of course you know, based on the story of that bass player, that a musician has to be thick skinned and keep a level head when being part of the music business. With band members coming and going, big egos and all of the emotional BS that goes on.

That's a good thing. It hurts, but it shows you care. You sound like you're doing great. Jams are THE best way to get known in your area IMO. I started getting offers within a few months of regularly attending jams, and it just builds from there. Finally, after 7 years of playing with everyone I could, I finally landed my desired spot. That was 5 years ago and I'm still doing it today. And still really getting off on it.

That's a good thing. It hurts, but it shows you care. You sound like you're doing great. Jams are THE best way to get known in your area IMO. I started getting offers within a few months of regularly attending jams, and it just builds from there. Finally, after 7 years of playing with everyone I could, I finally landed my desired spot. That was 5 years ago and I'm still doing it today. And still really getting off on it.

Yeah....only thing about the jams are, blues. Its ok to play, just not really a fan of it to listen to and I dont know a lot of the songs..haha

I wish there were other types of jams around here besides just blues.

Other than blues jams can be problematic, because a lot of songs are arranged and it's more of a crapshoot. In a jam situation, Blues is a lowest common denominator, so it lends itself to strangers getting together for the first time.

I suppose jazz jams would be similar. I have no experience with jazz jams because I can't play jazz, but if you do maybe check those out. I never really heard of a rock jam, but groups of basement bands get up at blues jams and play rock...to get playing experience...if the jam master allows that kind of thing.

There's a bunch of singer songwriter acoustic jams but for a drummer, a blues or jazz jam is the place to be IMO. There's a lot more than meets the ear with Blues.
Blues can be very nuanced.

Yes, lots of blues jams everywhere. I love playing the blues.

Here is something that has worked for me. At jams many times the guitar players ask each other "what should we play next?" I'll say, "let's play something funky". Or I'll say, "let's play some rock and roll". Sometimes it works good and we play some different stuff besides the blues.

Or suggest some commonly known songs. like, "Standing On Shaky Ground". Or, heaven forbid, "Honky Tonk woman".

Its hitting me hard right now.

Im playing a pretty well known venue next week and the self doubt that im going to do crappy, be boring etc is hitting me super hard right now. Never ending cycle!! lol.

Self doubt is you punching yourself in the nose. Only you can stop it.

The biggest obstacle to drummers are themselves mostly.

Stop doubting yourself and never doubt yourself again, starting right NOW!

Whatever thoughts are in your head tend to manifest themselves.

So make sure you have the right thoughts in your head.

Visualize your desired outcome in as much detail as you can.

Back