Need Some Help...

I know this isn't exactly drum related but Im gonna ask it anyway.

So, Im in the band for my school. Last year i was a seventh grader (the youngest grade in the school) but i was in the advanced band because of my drumming. But this year the schedules got mixed up and there are some seventh graders in the advanced band but they are not there because of their skills they are there because of scheduling errors. Anyway one of these kids is a drummer and he has a heart problem so he is smaller and acts younger than everybody else. It took the band leader several minutes to show him what a paradiddle was, keep in mind this is advanced band. I really want to help this guy drum but he can't read music or anything. Any ideas on what i can do to help him drum better?

Start showing him the basic rudiments, paradiddles, rolls, flams. Help him learn how to read music and be an encourager

Is the band leader doing anything to help him along? It's great that you want to help, but when I was in school band and orchestra, the band director or teacher was responsible for the education of the members and not the students.

Yeah, but he has 40 other people to worry about and im kind of in charge of the drum section

You can help people and show them stuff but it takes time to get good. He has to work at it.

Can you find time at lunch or after school to call a 'sectional' for the whole percussion section to work on some pieces and skills. It will make your job easier at rehearsals. Also, if you really are more skilled than the others, they'll all realize that and they're more likely to follow your leadership and advice in band classes.
I've worked with students who have no sense of rhythm, no skils, and ended up on percussion. Find/create easy parts for them to play, or let them double up with strong players, but playing softer instruments, such as snares off, so they can follow and learn.

If you are the leader, then you must lead. Take him aside and ask him what it will take for him to learn it properly, because he has to put in the time. This is advanced band we're talking about here.

Speak with your teacher about it.

Do nothing unless instructed by the responsible adult.

You can never know the outcome of talking with the person...and it might have a negative effect....keep the responsibility where it should be....with the teacher.

But being friendly and encouraging is rarely a bad thing! : )

Speak with your teacher about it.

Do nothing unless instructed by the responsible adult.

You can never know the outcome of talking with the person...and it might have a negative effect....keep the responsibility where it should be....with the teacher.

But being friendly and encouraging is rarely a bad thing! : )

Definitely talk to the teacher, it's not your job to deal with these sorts of issues.

That being said, stay positive and try to coach the other player(s) on the basics. Being a leader means that you can mentor the other player(s), it does not mean that you have to deal with administrative issues.

First: Ask if the other kid wants the help since he needs to be further along.

Second: If he agrees, go ahead and help him. Chances are he'll learn more stuff from you than the teacher due to the number of students the teacher has to deal with.

Third: You will be doing both your teacher and the other student a solid by doing this. The kid will learn and the teacher will get credit on his evaluation because students teaching students counts towards a higher teacher evaluation score - Crazy, huh?

I speak the truth, for I am a teacher.

By the way, it's ok that I'm logged on here right now. My students are taking a quiz. :)

Firstly Ben, much respect to you for looking out for, and wanting to help one of your band mates, you are a good guy.

I don't know if you, or your fellow student have access to an ipad or iphone, but if you do Vic Firth has a great app with the 40 snare rudiments on it, very well presented and easy to follow.

If you don't have access, if you can, get to a PC and go to the Vic Firth website,
here's a link to a great education section:

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/

Thanks for looking out for a fellow drummer, you rock!

Back