Need help with transferring recordings onto computer

Mike Stand

Silver Member
Hi all,

I currently have several cymbals for sale online and I'm getting a lot of requests for recordings/sound samples.

I've got a stereo microphone and a portable minidisc player/recorder which makes more than satisfactory recordings. However, I can't find a way to transfer them onto my laptop for conversion into MP3 format or whatever.

I've downloaded Audacity software which is suppose to be ideal for making sound recordings from external players, but when I play them back there's always a horrible amount of really akward distortion.

I've played with the settings, input recording level, etc, but it's just not working.

Anyone know how I can make a clean transfer of my minidisc recordings onto a computer without having to buy new gear or software?

Re: Need help with transfering recordings onto computer

Do you have a mic input on the laptop??

If you do you should be able to use an 1/8 inch jack to jack cable and plug one end into the headphone socket of the minidisc player and then the other into the mic input on the laptop.

Then press record on Audacity then play on the minidisc.

Could you not just use your phone as another option?

Most of the guys i see just upload short movies/mp3s off of a phone.

Hope i could help

Dave

Either use your cell phone to do a recording and send it to them or call them and let them hear the cymbal live. When I buy cymbals I go to the manufacturer's site, or test them live, and order used based on what I already know about the make/model cymbal. If that doesn't work for them, let someone else buy them.

Re: Need help with transfering recordings onto computer

Do you have a mic input on the laptop??

If you do you should be able to use an 1/8 inch jack to jack cable and plug one end into the headphone socket of the minidisc player and then the other into the mic input on the laptop.

Then press record on Audacity then play on the minidisc.

Dave

This is what I've been doing from the start.

I think I've found the cause of the distortion though. It was some of the Windows sound settings. I unticked some boxes in the sound control panel like "noise suppression" and the recording works fine now. Also, I muted the computer speakers whilst doing the transfer from minidisc to PC.

Back