Drummers! I need your input

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Hey gang,

Some of you may have read the story I did last year for Music Connection Magazine.
They have asked me to once again contribute to the magazine with a new article. I'm looking for suggestions, what is it that you guys would want to see in print?

If you haven't read the first article I did for them, here is a link to the digital version

http://musicconnection.com/find-great-drummer/

Hey Nick, Nice going! Congrats on the repeat business!

Here's a suggestion. Mine yourself for truths you have found from experience to be true, be it a musical thing, or dealing with the others, a gear thing....something you truly believe in that you discovered for yourself so it comes across genuine.

Hopefully that's not too lame of a suggestion lol. I'll keep trying.

Here are some ideas for an article:

"Putting a band together, please leave your ego at home."

"Drummer as band leader"

"How to make money and music"

"Drummers need solos too"

"Drum solos, the long and short of it"

An article about day jobs, alternate careers, and school would be helpful to those who believe that any distraction takes away from their musical pursuits (not true) and that if they instead devote all of their time to pursuiing music, they'll find success (also not true.)

As a career drummer who also had a concurrent day job while for some time, I'd be happy to help contribute. :)

Bermuda

Well, slightly obviously, I would like an article dealing with gender-bias and/or age.

Well, slightly obviously, I would like an article dealing with gender-bias and/or age.

Good idea, and let's not forget that bias works in ways we don't always think of (such as bias against younger players, inconsistent biases such as recording with various people but being biased against them when it comes to performing, etc.)

Yep, good subject!

Bermuda

Good idea, and let's not forget that bias works in ways we don't always think of (such as bias against younger players, inconsistent biases such as recording with various people but being biased against them when it comes to performing, etc.)

You've hit the nail on the head. Bias works in ways we should ALWAYS think of.

Nick,

That conversation we had, well, you had while I listened, between you and that band promoter outside that one club is incredible fodder for an article.

Which, in a way ties into Bermuda's concept about playing around a day job or other jobs.

Nick,

That conversation we had, well, you had while I listened, between you and that band promoter outside that one club is incredible fodder for an article.

Which, in a way ties into Bermuda's concept about playing around a day job or other jobs.

You mean when that guy asked how much $ it would take to lock me into just that one band, and when I shot him a number he walked away? hahahaha...

Some good ideas here, I'll need to find a way to elaborate them to fill a whole article.
The age & gender bias thing could be good, but I don't have any first hand experience wit the gender part. I can't say that I've lost out on gigs for being a guy.

The day job/working musician thing is good too. I've played that game on and off for many years. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I know a lot of pros, guys you wouldn't think have to work a normal job, that do. Some of them it isn't even a money thing. It's just because they like it!

Keep the ideas rolling in.... I love this!

You mean when that guy asked how much $ it would take to lock me into just that one band, and when I shot him a number he walked away? hahahaha...

Yes, that conversation.

I just don't think he got it. I really think, even thought you explained it to him, he thought you had a 9-5 job and it would only take a small amount of cash. I mean, the number you shot him was pretty modest given rent/food/gas in LA.

It ties in to the life balance of "day job" vs "being a player", because he essentially wanted you to give up your others jobs to be focused on just "one job" without taking into account the reality that you need to pay rent and eat.

Yes, that conversation.

I just don't think he got it. I really think, even thought you explained it to him, he thought you had a 9-5 job and it would only take a small amount of cash. I mean, the number you shot him was pretty modest given rent/food/gas in LA.

It ties in to the life balance of "day job" vs "being a player", because he essentially wanted you to give up your others jobs to be focused on just "one job" without taking into account the reality that you need to pay rent and eat.

It gets better.... I way paid for that gig in advance, and I don't need to tell you that's an unusual thing. I did two others for that band over the summer, I have yet to see any $ from...
The dude gave me one of his POS guitars as "collateral" until he could pay me. It's been 3 months and I still have an ugly BC Rich in my living room. And he stopped returning my calls, emails and txts...

It gets better.... I way paid for that gig in advance, and I don't need to tell you that's an unusual thing. I did two others for that band over the summer, I have yet to see any $ from...
The dude gave me one of his POS guitars as "collateral" until he could pay me. It's been 3 months and I still have an ugly BC Rich in my living room. And he stopped returning my calls, emails and txts...

Oh man, you never told me that part. That blows. Pawn shop time?

Oh well, it produced a funny story that I still chuckle at. And I still think it makes interesting fodder for your article.

Can't pawn it, the guitar isn't worth anything in the condition it's in.
Even if it was brand new it would sell for less than what he owes me.

Thinking about doing the article on how to prepare for a recording session.
It leaves room for a lot of topics like gear selection, learning songs, charts, all kinds of stuff.

I sent the idea into the publisher for approval, should get an answer this week.

Back