PASIC 2013

Just watched a clip of the Eastman School of Music percussion ensemble preparing. They won the international ensemble competition. Sounds fantastic. My son is a freshman there so he doesn't get to go and play but that's the studio he's a part of. Go check it out if you can they sound fantastic.

Would love to get back to one some day. Perhaps next year I may be able to do so. It's a week of bliss.

Just watched a clip of the Eastman School of Music percussion ensemble preparing. They won the international ensemble competition. Sounds fantastic. My son is a freshman there so he doesn't get to go and play but that's the studio he's a part of. Go check it out if you can they sound fantastic.

I may be wrong, but as I recall the very first PASIC was in Rochester as a result of the driving forces within the School.

You sir are correct!!!! John Beck hosted. The story as I heard it is Jim Petercsak at the Crane School of Music in Potsdam and John Beck came up with the idea and Petercsak talked Beck into hosting. Petercsak is my old teacher and that's where I heard it.

QUOTE=dmacc;1197750]Would love to get back to one some day. Perhaps next year I may be able to do so. It's a week of bliss.

I may be wrong, but as I recall the very first PASIC was in Rochester as a result of the driving forces within the School.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty great so far. My cymbal search (for a medium-sized versatile crash and a big, dirty one) went over budget, so i'm picking up a 21" Legacy ride tomorrow and saving more for an 18" Byzance Brilliant Medium crash. I also really enjoyed the 22" Crescent Vanguards, 22" Dream Bliss crash ride, and 20" Byzance Traditional Extra Thin crash, and the 17" Legacy, 18" Dream Contact crash ride, 18" Matt Nolan Custom raw bell crash, 19" A Thrash Ride, and especially the 19" Amedia D-series crash. I was surprised at Amedia's stuff, actually- this being my first time hearing them in person, the stuff they brought was a lot heavier than I expected. But that D-series opened up beautifully. Just maybe a bit aggressive for me. The Matt Nolan was very, very nice, but also $450. I really liked the Byzance Vintage Trash Crash as well in a 20".

As far as events go, Eriko Daimo, Mike Maineri, Mike Johnston(who complemented my pants!) and Jonathan Ovalle have all been awesome. Very excited for Weckl, Becker, and Kotche tomorrow. I also discovered probably my favorite marimba mallets (William Moersch 503/504s) and became very convinced of a 13x7" steambent Bubinga as my next snare.

So, yeah, I'd say it's been a great con so far. I implore you all to come out tomorrow or next year.

Back