How do you define "Old School" ?

I hope to still be around when the term "old school" is an old school expression.

I hope to still be around when the term "old school" is an old school expression.

considering the term "old school" has been being used since the 1800s....in print at least .... probably longer in speech

I would say that your hope just came true

considering the term "old school" has been being used since the 1800s....in print at least .... probably longer in speech

I would say that your hope just came true

has it? weird...I should'a looked that up.

Forget what I said about it's lasting value....

Depends on your age. For me it was "trapset" when I started and I got used to calling what's
now called "drumkit" a trapset. It took some adjusting but I then became used to calling the
drums a "drumset" which was vogue until sometime in the 1960's it became a "kit". I still
find calling it a "drumkit" awkward and for me it will always be a "drumset". That's what
I grew up with. In Wikipedia the word "trapset" is defined as being an "archaic term. Dang,
I really still feel young though. Playing the trapset, drumset, drumkit has helped with this.

For me, old school is...well, you know..the guys who were ahead of me...

I keep seeing the term '"old school" on this forum and others as well and was wondering... How would you define it?

I'm sure my kid thinks I'm "old school" when he hears me practicing solo snare drum from Charlie Wicoxen books, or playing along to big band and 70's funk.
Just how short of a time period do we go back before we're all labeled this??

I have a singer who records at my studio, anything with faders or knobs she looks and says 'Wow that looks really Old School', I just smile and nod.

With regard to drums, I guess WMP with a Consollette Rail would do it for me, Ludwig have just released a 'retro' kit I think, rather cool I think.

comp_primitive-internet.jpg

Some one that uses two bass drums instead of a double pedal.

Exactly. That's my understanding of the term. Like instead of using digital technology to record a song, you can go "old school" and record it with analog technology. Or, playing your vinyl records instead of using iTunes. Using a hand saw to cut wood instead of a skill saw. That would be Old School.Going with a 14, 12, 13, 16 snare and toms might be considered Old School, or just using standard 5A sticks that have been around forever and ever might be Old School. Maybe even just using the good old Remo Ambassador batter on your snare when there seems to be a hundred other choices.

Nicely captured, Bon. Resonates with me. All of the old school things you mentioned have certain positive qualities that are not present to the same extent in newer, more efficient technologies.

Speaking as someone in a retro band, for me retro is all about rediscovering "the babies in the bathwater".

True. Going retro is like recreating or rediscovering or revisiting the past, whereas one can record cutting edge new music using analog, old school methods.

saving up money to buy a new drum. "old school"
buying a whole new kit with a credit card. "not old school"

True. Going retro is like recreating or rediscovering or revisiting the past, whereas one can record cutting edge new music using analog, old school methods.

Yeah, if you go back to that Hal Galper video, he talks about how you will hear music differently in 10 years' time to today - nothing stays the same.

A good example is Steampunk, which Martin wised me up about - the futurism of the nineteenth century, like the aesthetic of the movie, Brazil.

I agree, and since I joined this forum I had a very healthy dose of music links for "Old School" recordings, some just revisiting and some... discovering (not that often though)

Back