Best sound in Drum Room 2m x 2m x 2m

bristolDRUMlessons

Hi all, I've built a tiny soundproofed room measuring 2m x 2m and 2m high.

6 ' x 6' x 6' approx.

The sound in there at the moment is extremely 'boomy' loud but not good.

I know its a terrible size for a drum room but my only option. Any ideas advice on how to get the best sound out of the drums? I don't mind if its dry but clean.

Anyone done something like this before?

Many thanks
G

Just curious, but how about some pictures of your drum booth and maybe some info on how you constructed it. I would love to build a booth like the one in Phish's Specimens of Beauty video that came with the Undermind CD. My wife would never be able to get me out of there if I had one, LOL.

The worst thing you did was make it perfectly symmetrical. You probably have standing waves and resonances like nobody's business. Since you don't have a lot of space for low frequency absorption, look up membrane absorbers and see if any work at the dominant frequency of your boom. There are plenty of things on the net where you can hear notes and get the corresponding frequency.

You can try putting things in the corners. Folks like Auralex make stuff that goes in the wall/ceiling intersections as well as corners.

Be careful of advice on putting high frequency absorption on the walls such as carpet or foam. That will only attenuate the highs and make the apparent boominess worse.

You're playing in a cube which is definitely the worst situation to be in. In my opinion, the best thing you can do is get headphones with a lot of ambient attenuation. Trying to decrease the echo or reverberation times in a room of those measurements is pretty much futile.

How do you get your drums into that room and still be able to move your arms?

This situation reminds me of an office building where I was called in to evaluate the "live sounding" reception area. It was an insurance building built to occupy between five and six hundred people. The designer put more emphasis into the eye candy aspect of its interior than that of a functional aspect. The lobby area was about three stories high and the length and width were very close in volume area to its height, making it a "cube". To top this off, it was of an aquarium (glass) design. If you would walk through the stone floor area when the receptionist was on the phone, she had difficulties hearing the caller. There were also many metal doors that lead to the different spokes of the building. When these doors had their push locks engaged or when the closers on these doors slammed them shut, it sounded like mini explosions happening throughout the entire lobby. You couldn't remain in this area for more than a couple of minutes before severe ear fatigue would set in. What really cracked me up was that you could the rest room toilets flush loudly inside this large glass cubical area. To help rectify the sound situation in this lobby, but not even coming close to entirely eliminating it, it would have more than fully depleted was was left in their construction budget. The business right now is in a "run off" situation, so they won't have to put up with it's poor interior sound design much longer.

BTW, the way they "fixed" this was to move the reception area to another location in the building.

Dennis

I have a 6X13X8 FT. room I nailed small throw rugs and blankets on the walls (not totally covering them) it made a huge difference.

Back